Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1746 Talkback - Comic Talk Super-Sized Summer Spectacular

2»

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

I know it's been highly praised, getting a sequel, & has won awards, but I’ve had zero interest.

I wonder if that movie’s success is part of why Sony feels its good breaking the relationship.

Maybe so. I have a feeling Sony still has more faith in live-action than animation—just like every other company, even Disney. They probably see the animated films as a way to fill the gaps in between live-action productions, and have the money keep rolling in on a more steady basis. No different really than Marvel publishing multiple Spider-Man titles or DC publishing multiple Batman titles—milk the cash cows as much as possible.

More importantly though, you’re doing yourself a disservice by not seeing Spider-Verse. With as many garbage superhero movies you’ve forced yourself to sit through, why not watch one that’s actually a good, fun, innovative movie?
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited August 2019
    Matt said:

This post made me realize, I should clarify an above statement:

”The last 2 live-action Sony movies...”

I haven’t seen the Into the Spider-verse movie. I know it’s been highly praised, getting a sequel, & has won awards, but I’ve had zero interest.

I wonder if that movie’s success is part of why Sony feels its good breaking the relationship.

It's my understanding that there was always a break clause after 5 movies (Civil War, Homecoming, IW, EG, Far From Home).

Also watch Spider-Verse, you are denying yourself joy.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited August 2019

At this point in my life, I only watch stuff that interests me. I’ve watched too many comic book movies that I didn’t want to, but felt obligated.

Disservice? Maybe. I don’t care for the animation, Morales, MComicsU multiverses, or the theme of the movie. I’m good with a hard pass.

Into the Spider-verse seems like the current “Avatar” for me. Everyone tells me how much I am missing out, but I still have no interest. It’s why I still haven’t watched Avatar.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The themes in Spider-Verse are the themes that lie at the very center of what makes Spider-Man a great character: dealing with loss, responsibility, self-sacrifice, and family. If you don’t like Morales, maybe you'll like the older Peter Parker who serves as Morales’ mentor. He felt very true. I can’t help you with the multiverse aspect, except to say that it’s really just a MacGuffin to get a bunch of different Spider-Folks in the same room. The true plot of the movie is the Kingpin tries to get back his family, no matter the cost to everyone around him—classic Spider-Man (or classic Daredevil, I suppose).

As for the animation, they did an amazing (pun intended) job with it. I didn’t think blending a bunch of different styles would work, but they did it in a way that still felt cohesive. The design work was brilliant, and the opening sequence is some of the smartest, most creative animation I’ve ever seen. But, hey, to each their own.

Oh, and I would never tell you to go see Avatar. Not now, not then. :)
  • Options
    VertighostVertighost Posts: 335

IMO the only thing that’s going to make a successful superhero movie (or any successful film) is making a movie that lots of people love. (That’s the hard and unknowable part.) . While I’m sure opening weekend box office will increase if a film is part of the MCU, whether it continues to do well and has any “legs” depends entirely on word of mouth. If anything I think it’s more likely that most people don’t really care whether or not something is part of the MCU, they just trust Marvel Studios. (And had leaned to be wary of the DCCU when Justice League finally arrived.)

Kids are an exception to this rule, I know, but to really have a big hit you have to please the adults too.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Actually the older, burnt out Parker as a mentor to Morales was the theme I was talking about. Quesada doesn’t like a married Parker, I don’t care for one burnt out & teaching a protégé. And I’m not big on the variant Spider-folk.

The little of the animation I did see (I don’t even recall if I watched the trailers) reminded me of the opening of Batman Beyond. It was okay for that 60 second intro, but it’d annoy me after several minutes.

I’m good not liking Affleck as Batman, not watching DCCU movies post-Wonder Woman, not watching Venom, & I’m good not watching this movie.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Matt said:

Actually the older, burnt out Parker as a mentor to Morales was the theme I was talking about. Quesada doesn't like a married Parker, I don't care for one burnt out & teaching a protégée

Okay, I didn’t get why you didn’t like the themes, which are quintessential Spider-Man, but that I can understand. Older Parker’s story thread is a subplot, not a theme in and of itself, though its purpose is to reinforce the overarching themes of dealing with loss, responsibility, etc. So it’s not the themes you dislike, per se, just the Parker subplot. Gotcha.

As someone who regularly has to deal with burnout (though thankfully not because the love of my life left me because I was too scared to have kids because of my secret identity as a superhero), I found him to be very relatable, but I understand if you don’t want to see an alternate version of Parker that’s “given up”, even if he does gradually get his spark back throughout the course of the movie.
  • Options
    Matt said:

The little of the animation I did see (I don't even recall if I watched the trailers) reminded me of the opening of Batman Beyond. It was okay for that 60 second intro, but it'd annoy me after several minutes.

Given your description, you only saw a clip of the opening sequence. The rest of the movie is nothing like that.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I'm good not liking Affleck as Batman, not watching DCCU movies post-Wonder Woman, not watching Venom, & I'm good not watching this movie.

Hey, I still haven’t watched The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises, so I get it.
  • Options

I’m in the minority on this one; I actually think Begins is the best in the trilogy...followed by Rises.

• Options

Which part; the animation in what I’ve seen of ItS or the minute intro of BB that it reminds me of?

• Options
    Matt said:

I'm in the minority on this one; I actually think Begins is the best in the trilogy...followed by Rises.

That’s not saying a whole lot for the other two then. Begins has some nice elements, but the third act was rather bleh.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Which part; the animation in what I've seen of ItS or the minute intro of BB that it reminds me of?

It sounds like you saw a clip from the opening credits scene of Spider-Verse. Or perhaps one of the brief character flashback intros they do as each new Spider-Man shows up.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Then I mis-typed. I’ve seen a couple clips, I believe through TV spots. I don’t know where they fall in the movie. I believe one has Spider-man dying, another with the Spider-folk attached to the ceiling of what looks like a bedroom. If I had to time stamp it, I’d probably have seen about 2 minutes worth. The style isn’t for me anymore then Pixar’s style is for me.

• Options
    Okay, when you compared it to the Batman Beyond opening, I thought you meant in terms of quick cuts and the design elements. You're talking about the 3-D modeling. I'm not a huge fan of 3-D modeling either. I prefer hand-drawn 2-D figures, but I give them a pass because I think it was necessary to make all the differing figure design styles, some of which are originally 3-D modeled, work together. The animation itself—the movement of the figures withing the scenes—was very well done, which helps me ignore the modeling as well. The big problem I have with 3-D modeling is that it’s harder to pull off “stretch and squash” techniques and have them look good, but Spider-Verse did a pretty decent job with it. And they did integrate some 2-D into the film in spots, which was nice.