Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The State of Marvel Television

With the loss of the Netflix shows and soon Agents of SHIELD, and the movie studio being involved in the Disney+ streaming service, I'm concerned about the health and direction of Marvel's television division. It's always seemed to be the red-headed stepchild in Marvel's media empire.

I know the division has the upcoming Ghost Rider and Hellstrom series on Hulu, and as far as I know Cloak and Dagger and Runaways will continue, but I'm still worried that the TV division will always be a bridesmaid and never a bride.

Does anyone else get the feeling the writing might be on the wall for Marvel Television?

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Truthfully, aside from the Netflix shows, I only watched Agent Carter. I know that show was apart of the MCU directly. I know the Disney+ shows are connected with the MCU. I haven’t really considered the other shows part of the MCU. Even the Netflix shows.

• Agent Carter was the only show that was produced by the movie studio. The dark magic that was a major part of season 2 supposedly tied into the first Doctor Strange movie.

I may be one of three people on the forum, but I've always been a fan of Agents of SHIELD and feel it's gotten a bum rap from MCU fans. I recommend detractors give it another try.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Has there been any reporting about whether the Disney+ shows will not be overseen by the folks at Marvel Television? I haven't been following it. It definitely seems that the upcoming Disney+ shows are getting featured and incorporated into the MCU like never before, right down to being pictured on the phase 4 timeline alongside the features. So in a way, Marvel "television" is about to be more featured, and less bridesmaid than ever before. Though I don't know if that is because the folks from the actual Marvel Television division (like Loeb) are getting cut out of it.

If that latter is the case, then I would guess any Marvel Television shows that are not on Disney+ will start to feel even more marginal than before.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868

With the loss of the Netflix shows and soon Agents of SHIELD, and the movie studio being involved in the Disney+ streaming service, I'm concerned about the health and direction of Marvel's television division. It's always seemed to be the red-headed stepchild in Marvel's media empire.

I know the division has the upcoming Ghost Rider and Hellstrom series on Hulu, and as far as I know Cloak and Dagger and Runaways will continue, but I'm still worried that the TV division will always be a bridesmaid and never a bride.

Does anyone else get the feeling the writing might be on the wall for Marvel Television?

If it's just Jeph Loeb that's the problem, then it's not irreversible, just get someone new in charge.

However, given that we know that the Marvel / Marvel Studios schism was down to Isaac Perlmutter rubbing folks the wrong way, that seems like a problem solved only by time.
  • tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited August 2019
    David_D said:

Has there been any reporting about whether the Disney+ shows will not be overseen by the folks at Marvel Television? I haven't been following it. It definitely seems that the upcoming Disney+ shows are getting featured and incorporated into the MCU like never before, right down to being pictured on the phase 4 timeline alongside the features. So in a way, Marvel "television" is about to be more featured, and less bridesmaid than ever before. Though I don't know if that is because the folks from the actual Marvel Television division (like Loeb) are getting cut out of it.

If that latter is the case, then I would guess any Marvel Television shows that are not on Disney+ will start to feel even more marginal than before.

Kevin Feige/Marvel Studios will be in charge of the Disney+ series. Jeph Loeb/Marvel Television have no involvement.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    tazmaniak said:

David_D said:

Kevin Feige/Marvel Studios will be in charge of the Disney+ series. Jeph Loeb/Marvel Television have no involvement.
    In that case, I would guess that those Disney+ series will be much more included and connected to the films, and that Marvel Television may need to skip future series like Agents of SHIELD that try to be connected to the MCU, since Disney+ will have those shows, and instead continue to go more quirky and standalone (which is the sense I get of Legion, though I haven't seen it) to survive.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    The Netflix shows were barely connected to the movies anyways. When Marvel get those back I very much hope they continue them on Hulu. And you don't have to have them connected to the movies, just having connected to each other is enough.
    edited August 2019

I’m hoping they’re on Disney+. Then they will be connected & I won’t have to get Hulu. The whole reason I streamed Netflix was for those shows. I wasted money for the bulk part of the last 5 years on that service. I’m hoping not to repeat that mistake with another one.

Matt said:

I’m hoping they’re on Disney+. Then they will be connected & I won’t have to get Hulu. The whole reason I streamed Netflix was for those shows. I wasted money for the bulk part of the last 5 years on that service. I’m hoping not to repeat that mistake with another one.

Well if their complete reboots I don't care where they go, but if their a continuation? Then I would want them on Hulu because I doubt they would keep the very Adult Themes on a Disney thing

Stuff I’ve been reading, it’s only really the DD cast that’s willing to return. I’m thinking they’ll be reboots, which is a shame. I would’ve liked to see DD & Punisher continue.

• VertighostVertighost Posts: 335

I would love to see Punisher return as well especially since technically they only really need to bring Bernthal back. Although I’ve heard (I think it was on CGS) that those characters can’t be used for awhile? (Presumably Netflix wanted to prevent Disney from just running off with their shows and having to compete against shows that started with them? Also Disney would presumably not want any viewer to have to go back to Netflix to see how a series began? If Disney were to have a popular Bernthal Punisher show or a continuation of Daredevil wouldn’t that encourage fans to seek out the original shows on Netflix? I have no idea just thinking out loud.)

• Thanks Matt! I'm glad to hear Marvel TV will have a presence on Disney+. I just hope that the two divisions play nice with each other and allow more crossover between the movie and TV divisions.

Matt said:

Stuff I’ve been reading, it’s only really the DD cast that’s willing to return. I’m thinking they’ll be reboots, which is a shame. I would’ve liked to see DD & Punisher continue.

Yeah that's really all I want to, the other 3 shows I can easily live without.

It seems weird that Marvel Studios has access to (practically) everyone & you don’t have everything connecting. Or at least appear to have everything connected.

Matt said:

It seems weird that Marvel Studios has access to (practically) everyone & you don’t have everything connecting. Or at least appear to have everything connected.

If Marvel Entertainment ever gets a new chairman who isn't a sinister monster that Feige can work with I suspect it will join up.

Or Disney will just get rid of Marvel Entertainment all together.
  • It's long been rumored that the movie division in general, and Feige in particular, hate sharing the universe with the TV division and ignore the TV series wherever possible. If true, that's a shame and unfair.

It's long been rumored that the movie division in general, and Feige in particular, hate sharing the universe with the TV division and ignore the TV series wherever possible. If true, that's a shame and unfair.

They hate dealing with Isaac Perlmutter specifically, not the division as a whole. Which is fair, the man is a monster.
    Matt said:
    Yup. Racist, sexist, homophobic. All these things and more.

I guess you & I define “monster” differently. “Racist, sexist, homophobic” and the shadow cabinet stuff in that article, as I would label, shows he’s a well connected, reclusive, narrowminded dick.

Jeff Epstein, however, is an example of what I define as “a monster”. Perverse fucks who rape kids, THOSE are “monsters.”