Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
In a used bookstore yesterday, I saw a copy of The Essential Killraven.

I would have previously thought those words mutually exclusive.

Comments

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The latest issue of Hawk-Guy may well be the best yet.
    "Used bookstore" is an odd term. It looks like the store is used, rather than the books.
    "Used Books Store"?
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    These observations should be followed by, "Talk amongst yourselves"

• SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Killraven was awesome once Don McGregor and P Craig Russel were doing it. And if you ever malign that series again, I will.....

...I probably won't do anything, but you still shouldn't do it.

Killraven was awesome once Don McGregor and P Craig Russel were doing it. And if you ever malign that series again, I will.....

I'll try to resist doing so. b-(
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Frank Cho got banned from facebook for sharing his jungle-babe artwork, which was declared indecent, yet I get about 20-50 cam-girl shots a day of actual women posting selfies of themselves in their unmentionables.

I have not loved Wonder Woman this much since Lynda Carter first donned the granny-panties in the 70s. I'm waiting for DC to respond to this by immediately removing Azz and Chang from regular duty on the book.

The manga companies are finally putting out titles that will appeal to their core demographic. I will enjoy writing you all from prison. :)

I cannot quit Kickstarter. It is my Brokeback Mountain.

• dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

In a used bookstore yesterday, I saw a copy of The Essential Killraven.

I would have previously thought those words mutually exclusive.

Did you buy it? It is one of Marvels best 70s titles.

@David_D: Two years in, are you still enjoying Animal Man?
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2013
    WetRats said:

@David_D: Two years in, are you still enjoying Animal Man?

Sadly, I dropped it around issue 13 or 14.

I had been excited about the idea of a monthly Animal Man, as I never thought that would be a thing again. And I was invested in what Lemire and Foreman were doing at the start, as it really felt in keeping with the Jamie Delano era of Animal Man, my favorite run on that series. (I mean, sure, I loved what Morrison did on Animal Man, too, but it was all a little too clever. Delano made me actually CARE about Buddy and his family).

However, as with Snyder on Swamp Thing, it just draaaaaaaged. It really felt like things were going nowhere, and going nowhere SLOW. So while AM and ST were into their long, side-by-side storylines/crossover/whatever it was, I decided to drop both. As I love the characters, someday I will get and read the rest out of cheap bins, but I feel no urgency to do so.

I think Animal Man always worked best for me as a supernatural/horror drama where the superpowers (and resulting fame) are the main antagonist. And this current volume felt more like a 'your powers mean your whole family is fated to fight this big bad forever and ever'. Which is fine, but not quite what was hoping for (especially at the slow pace). It feels a little more Harry Potter than horror. Oh well.

For me (and many others, I'm sure) it is all about reading work that I want, and not about maintaining a collection. There is no character that I get no matter what just to have a collection of everything. Which is why, for example, despite having everything John Constantine had ever been in from the Bergerverse and Vertigo, I have no need to get the DCU Constantine or Justice League Dark. (I tried Justice League Dark and Constantine #1, just to give it a chance and be sure. . . and did not need any more).

Thanks for asking!
    I will ask one back- @WetRats what are your thoughts on the upcoming cancellation of Legion of Superheroes and that Levitz does not plan to be working with those characters anytime soon?
    David_D said:

I will ask one back- @WetRats what are your thoughts on the upcoming cancellation of Legion of Superheroes and that Levitz does not plan to be working with those characters anytime soon?

I think it's a mercy killing.

I don't know how much has been editorial interference, and how much is Levitz not really having a story to tell, but the book has just meandered.

It's been a lot like a high school reunion. It was nice to see everybody for a little while, but there really was very little to talk about anymore except remembering how good things used to be.

As excited as I was when Johns first brought back the "real" Legion, I now wish Waid & Kitson had been allowed to continue to develop their threeboot instead. It was chock-full of fresh ideas and interesting twists on characters.

I sure would like to know the (presumably) ugly story behind Giffen's incredibly brief return to the series. I bet it's a heckuva lot more dramatic than anything that actually happened in the book.
    Oh.

And don't get me started on Legion Lost.
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

I don't know how much has been editorial interference, and how much is Levitz not really having a story to tell, but the book has just meandered.

It's been a lot like a high school reunion. It was nice to see everybody for a little while, but there really was very little to talk about anymore except remembering how good things used to be.

As excited as I was when Johns first brought back the "real" Legion, I now wish Waid & Kitson had been allowed to continue to develop their threeboot instead. It was chock-full of fresh ideas and interesting twists on characters.

I sure would like to know the (presumably) ugly story behind Giffen's incredibly brief return to the series. I bet it's a heckuva lot more dramatic than anything that actually happened in the book.
    Also, like a high school reunion, did everyone's heads get bigger?

David_D said:

Also, like a high school reunion, did everyone's heads get bigger?

The art was so inconsistent, who could tell?
    I wish I had taken a photo of the Miss Thing cosplayer at HeroesCon*, she was adorable.

*Still not used to finally having an iPhone.
    Oh wait.

Here she is!

Do you think when 2 Guns comes out, anyone will have any idea it is based on a Steven Grant and Mateus Santolouco comic barely anyone read the first time around?

(Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are getting that pay day, and I did read it back then and enjoyed it well enough, but it is just a reminder of how hard it is to predict what will actually get through the development process and become a movie)
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    WetRats said:

"Used bookstore" is an odd term. It looks like the store is used, rather than the books.

With a lot of the used bookstores I’ve been in, it’s felt like the store was more used than the books.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited July 2013

I won't go as far as awesome with the writing, but Craig’s artwork, especially towards the end, was amazing.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

WetRats said:

With a lot of the used bookstores I’ve been in, it’s felt like the store was more used than the books.
    I have a love hate relationship with Used Book Stores. You can't go into one looking for a specific book and having to step over piles of crap bugs me. However, if your just browsing, you'll always find something to buy.
    I also love the smell. Glade should have a spray scent "Used Book Store".
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

I have a love hate relationship with Used Book Stores. You can't go into one looking for a specific book and having to step over piles of crap bugs me. However, if your just browsing, you'll always find something to buy.
    My 7 year old has fallen in love with book stores but as they are an endangered species I find it harder and harder to get her to the one Barnes and Noble in the area. And when I do I can't spend money because there is no consumer advantage to buying there. I go a few times a year as opposed to a few times a month as I did say 10 years ago.
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

The classic little junky/smelly ones are starting to disappear around here. There's a nice regional chain of big, clean, very well-organized stores. (Mr. K's)
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    A crash course in Italian hand gestures
    The average Italian uses 250 every day. So would it be possible to have a conversation on holiday without knowing the language?
    And does Uncle Sal know them all?
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

Here in Wellington New Zealand, we have an excellent second hand book store called Arty Bees Books. Everything is catagorised, and it features an excellent science fiction and fantasy section.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    We have a local used bookstore that is also a coffee house, Jewish deli, old fashioned ice cream parlor, and they print a newspaper.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

Mostly agree with this with exception of the part about Waid/Kitson series. I strongly disliked almost everything about that book except for the art. Even there, some of the costume choice were decidedly questionable.