Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

You know what this forum needs more of?

COMIC BOOK TALK!

I see people saying what they bought, and comic book movies and digital comics and a lot of "inside baseball" talk. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but I miss those olden days when we talked about comics! What did we read and what did we like! What's good? What was the first thing in your stash you read?

I've been doing a LOT of overnights as the group home I'm working for is having major staffing issues, so I'm reading the new stuff but also older stuff...so a few thoughts on what I read this week:

The Thor series keeps getting better every issue! Thor is a character that I have mixed feelings about, it can be a great series, or it can be just a big pile of cliches, but the God Killer story has been incredibly well done, and the art looks amazing. I'd pay for this to be a weekly, let alone being double shipped.

I'm re-reading the Nathaniel Dusk mini-series from the 1980's for a "Crime comics" episode I'm doing, and while the story itself is pretty by the numbers, I was struck at just how much emotion and character Don McGregor put into these stories. Add to that Gene Colon's art, shot from his pencils (the first comic series to do that that I am aware of) and it's MUCH better than I remember.

Comments

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    As much as we bad-mouth DC of late - I just read the second Teen Titans trade (The Culling) and enjoyed it. Lobdell's a good writer dealing with a horrible situation (editorial tossing EVERYONE into this book for crossovers) and manages to still make the book make sense (Hey, I doubt *I* could pull it off). The artwork is really solid as well. I like the costume designs and there's enough of an homage to the older series to bring me back for trade #3.

Just read the first A1 book (an anthology single issue) by Titan. Not bad. Whispering Willows seems to be yet another cash in on Fables but at least they're doing it with good artwork. I don't know that I'll stick with it but there's certainly some potential for good stuff here, and the artwork is quite good.

Of course, My Little Pony continues to knock it out of the park. ;)

• KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I've been getting Teen Titans since the re-launch and have enjoyed it a lot. There was the issue that I read out of order because I put the one before it on the wrong pile and that seemed way out of place but that was my fault. I do wish the art would stop "tron'ing" everybody but that's a small complaint.

Really enjoying Avengers Arena, I wish I had more knowledge of the British characters their storylines seem the least exciting but I think that's my fault as well for not having read anything on them.

Batgirl is probably the best book I read last week though, and possibly the best book I've read in the last few months.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Enjoying the second RED SONJA Omnibus and a couple of BDs that most likely will never make it to the US of A. Very unfortunate that.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited July 2013
    oh - and by recommendation from VinceB - I'm starting with MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM: The Origin by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. My gut-feeling tells me that I will love this book.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    One of the most enjoyable comics reads I've had recently is Lucy Knisley's graphic novel Relish: My Life in Food. I've been a big fan of her work since reading her Paris travel log GN, French Milk (in which food also plays a big part because, well, France), so I was excited for this and it did not disappoint. I think it's hard to write well about food because there are so many personal taste issues involved, but she does an excellent job portraying her life growing up around cooks and foodies and how so many of the major events in her life were connected to the preparation and/or enjoyment of foods. And every chapter has a recipe at the end, and damn if they don't all sound amazing. I will be shocked if this isn't up for an Eisner or two next year. Or a James Beard Award, for that matter.
  • wrecking_crewwrecking_crew Posts: 33
    edited July 2013
    I havent bought it yet, but I know its gonna be great: Peter Panzerfaust #12. Easily my favorite new series (new to me at least) of 2013. Peter Pan analogs in WWII without the fantasy...great stuff.

Also going to pick up The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys as I loved Umbrella Academy...plus, Becky Cloonan!
  • CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    Breath of Bones by Steve Niles and Dave Wachter.

It's a three issue mini from Dark Horse. It's freaking amazing. Issue two hit today. As a big fan of Ragman from DC Comics, I've always been intrigued by the Jewish legend of the Golem. It's pretty cool to see this take.

Dave knocks it out of the freakin park and the story is great.
  • CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    Captain Midnight #0 by Joshua Williamson and Victor Ibanez.

Another Dark Horse entry. Freakin great. I can't say much else about it. Apparently this character and concept has been around awhile. Never knew about it. I'll be getting this bad boy in trade for sure. Sold.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

Captain Midnight #0 by Joshua Williamson and Victor Ibanez.

Another Dark Horse entry. Freakin great. I can't say much else about it. Apparently this character and concept has been around awhile. Never knew about it. I'll be getting this bad boy in trade for sure. Sold.

I liked it as well...good intro to the character and a nice set up for the series. After SO MANY bad first issues from other companies, I was damn happy to read a comic that set everything up and made me want to read more...thought it was a lost art.

• fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I'm almost through the first ten issues of Revival. Not sure what to make of it. It seems interesting and I want to keep reading, but I'm feeling it drag a little bit.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Just finished the Batgirl/Robin year one TP. Just a fun overall read and a fine example of how a retcon should be done.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Age Of Ultron #10AI -- basically a transition issue between the Age Of Ultron mini-series and the new Avengers AI series. Whether or not you liked the former or care about the latter, this is an excellent stand-alone issue that takes a look behind the character and career of Hank Pym. Writer Mark Waid, who is a master of characterization, proves his credentials once more by getting to the heart of the character and showing that heart to the reader. If more books were written by Waid -- if more writers followed his example -- we'd have darn little to grouse about on these boards. I only wish Waid was also writing the new AI series as well.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    I read the first two issues of Six-Gun Gorilla last night. While it didn’t completely blow me away, I did enjoy it quite a bit. It has a definite Firefly feel—that Civil War in space, western/steampunk/sci-fi mash-up—but a little more heavy on the sci-fi and with a talking, six-gun toting gorilla.

Said gorilla is, along with the potential romantic interest introduced in the second issue, the most interesting character so far—which he should be, since he’s the title character). None of the characters feel fully developed at this point—it’s been mostly world building and plot development so far—but I think that will improve over the next four issues as more layers are added.

Spurrier and Stokely are building an interesting world, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. Recommended.

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    I've been reading 2 great trades. Saga volume 2 and the Complete Hudge Dredd Case Files volume 4. They've been stoking my love for comics this week
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man - A supervillian heist book, with a gang made of B and C list villains. The first issue was a really fun read, looking forward to the next issue. The two robbery scenes with Beetle and Shocker/Speed Demon were great.

Just finished the Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes crossover trade. Going into it I said to myself "If Kirk doesn't hit on Shadow Lass at least once, this book has failed."

This book did not fail. :)
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    @TorchSong - Something to look forward to! I'm currently on issue three of the five issue miniseries.
    mwhitt80 said:

I've been reading 2 great trades. Saga volume 2 and the Complete Hudge Dredd Case Files volume 4. They've been stoking my love for comics this week

Volume 2 of Saga is even better than volume 1.

Just finished Lazarus #1. It's a keeper. Another win for Image.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Paul Pope! In stores since Wed July 10th:
    http://us.macmillan.com/thedeathofhaggardwest/PaulPope

Battling Boy is so close!
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

Just finished Lazarus #1. It's a keeper. Another win for Image.

read it this weekend, couldn't agree more, I have a hard time finding fault in anything Rucka does

• dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Just finished The Adventures of Lil Archie volume 1. A decent collection of 60s era Lil Archie stories. And currently reading the Alien Legion Force Nomad trade. It reprints the first 11 issues of the second Alien Legion series. Great stuff so far.
    Read my Robin/Batgirl Year One trade - excellence in storytelling.
    I'm rereading all of the Ed Brubaker Captain America trades -- I'm currently on The Death Of Captain America - The Burden Of Dreams -- great, great stuff.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Great thread, and sorry to be so late in adding to it. Some recents--

Fury: My War Gone By #13 - Marvel MAX (though they just call it MAX now), Ennis & Parlov. I LOVED this series. Top of the box every time a box arrived. And while I was bummed that this had to end, I also think it told its story, and ended in a way that was complete, and each issue felt very full.

This series, set in the sort of MAX continuity where he has written Nick Fury and a lot of Punisher in the past, this 13 issue series was one long recollection of Nick Fury on the many wars he was involved in, mostly in an intelligence capacity, AFTER the big one, and what it all amounted to. There are a few supporting characters who age through those years with him- a lover, a trusted right hand man, and a political opportunist rival. It is excellent. It has an appearance of a Vietnam era Frank Castle, as well as an Contra era Barracuda. It is one of the best (and most unsung) things Marvel has been publishing, and I think it is essential reading for anyone who enjoyed Punisher MAX. As with all MAX product, print runs were limited, but there will be collections, and MAX is now on Comixology as well (though it is content that tends to be rarely promoted or put on sale). I can't recommend it enough.
  • NickNick Posts: 284
    I have been reading the Wolverine 4 issue mini series from the 80's in preparation for the movie. Boy, Miller sure can draw. It's different than what I was expecting (more Sin City), but I'm loving it. I don't even find the Claremont writing to be dated at all. Definitely getting me pumped for the movie.
  • Greg said:

Superior Foes of Spider-Man - A supervillian heist book, with a gang made of B and C list villains. The first issue was a really fun read, looking forward to the next issue. The two robbery scenes with Beetle and Shocker/Speed Demon were great.

Preaching to the choir haha. That was a great book!
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Just finished off the first five issues of Savage Wolverine. Really fun comics. Frank Cho delivered a fun story with the right mix of trademark snikt and laughs. All wrapped up in some great art, cool cameos and a cheeky cliffhanger at the end of issue 5. I hope he'll be back on the book at some point!
    Picked up a few manga at San Diego - one of a series I've been enjoying and one I've been meaning to try out - both are excellent so far.

A Certain Scientific Railgun sneaks a cool science fiction story in behind all the high-school girly stuff. In a future where people have started to develop talents beyond the norm, one girl surpasses all her peers as a level 5 in ability - earning her the nickname "The Railgun" - with her electrical-based powers. Yes, there's a lot of girls squealing and hugging and shopping - but there's also cloning, a giant psychic fetus (yes, you heard that right), psychotic villains with sympathetic reasons for their trauma, and a protagonist who may be the most fun female character I've read in quite some time.

Toradora! is a typical high school romance with atypical themes behind it. It's like The Taming of the Shrew set in a Japanese high school, and with a lot less iambic pentameter. Asuka Taiga is the shortest girl in school...4'6''...but has a temper that's earned her the nickname "Palmtop Tiger". While she's cute as a button, she's a total spitfire, so naturally she ends up with a guy who can't stand her, but seems fated to always be around her. Very comedy of errors. Great artwork and tons of humor.
    Daredevil #28 by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee. I love this book. These guys can do no wrong on any given issue, and this issue is no exception.