Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

I need a new job

So, my brothers and sisters of the forum, what advice can you give me in getting a new career? I have not needed to get a new job (jorb) in more than 18 years. What is the deal in the 21st century?
And, yes, I have some small timey comics gigs lined up. so if any of you publishers out there want to send some money, er, work my way i"m up for it

Best Answers

• JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    Answer ✓
    kickstarter, be creative if you want to get some people to donate. Other than that, what are your strengths? are you familiar with computers at all? This is what I do and as long as you are willing to keep learning and progressing with your knowledge then you will always be able to find work pretty much wherever you are. (I think I remember you mentioning something about doing computer work on the podcast once or maybe it was something else). For me when I get back to PA at the end of this month I will be doing some warehouse work at first until I get into something with programming like I've been doing since I was 18, I'm only 25 now. Idk, If people are willing to learn then I think anyone can do something with computers, which is why I suggest it.
  • KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Answer ✓
    Become a filmmaker and then when one of your movies hits it big and is the #1 movie in the country, refuse to allow it to be shown at any Carmike theaters.

In all seriousness though, you need to ask yourself if you're looking for a career or a job. A job you can get without too much effort, but it might be something you don't particularly like. A career would be far more rewarding and probably pay better, but you have to pay the rent until you find one.
  • DarthKramerDarthKramer Posts: 60
    Answer ✓
    Go to as many temp agencies as possible. A lot of corporate jobs don't do direct hire anymore unless it's a personal referral. Tell them you're looking for a temp-to-hire job. A lot of them do 90 day "temp" placements and if they like you, they'll hire you on permanently. This is no different than a 3 month probationary period that a lot of jobs do.
  • TrevTrev Posts: 310
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓
    Are you on linkedin? That's a great resource for jobs.

New career -- what do you want to do, what is your education, etc. Education is the best way to a career change if it doesn't draw on what you know or have experience with already. And your personal network.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Answer ✓
    @MikeGallagher : become a professional artist - take the risk - we only live once (probably...) - and @JohnTilton has a point. With crowdsourcing you could get a good start. I've seen many successes with Kickstarter.