Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can Disney/Marvel Retcon Mutants Into Inhumans So Fox Can't Have Them Anymore?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    This is one of those major changes that doesn't bother me. I guess because they started out not being his kids and now we've just gone back to how they originally were. As far as Marvel making the Inhumans the new X-Men? Eh..Marvel is pushing them hard but ultimately it's down to sales. If the fans don't latch onto them then we'll see them fade back into their corner of the MU.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited May 2015
    I don't see too many new mutants being created or getting a major marketing push in the nearfuture. I think they will supplant the majority of the new "Born with Powers" type of characters simply because they are 100% exploitable. Mutants will never go away, they are a valuable asset to the comics publisher arm of Marvel (so strange to think of that as almost a secondary part of the company now) but as long as Marvel is using these characters in other media, specifically live action movies and TV, Inhumans will definitely be the new proxy.

I don't think this affects whether or not Fox can "have" them though. I think the deal was for a stable of characters(and associated characters) and the concept of mutants separately. A non-mutant character that has had a relationship with the X-Men is probably included in that, but we've already seen that sometimes those deals are not exclusive.
  • Options
    That's tricky. Fox bought the rights to X-Men, not mutants. I think making Wanda and Pietro Inhumans is just symptomatic of the "comics change with the movies" trend. Making Wolverine and Cyclops Inhumans probably wouldn't divorce them from the X-Men rights, because their X-Men associations are pretty inextricable.

The actual contract might specifically stipulate who they're allowed to use. Maybe characters who first appeared in X-Men or related titles, plus any mutants. Or something.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Oddly, Quicksilver is the character Fox probably did the best job with.

His personality was utterly unlike the comics, but damn, did they do a good job with his speed.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited June 2015
    bamfbamf said:
    But gains Devil Dinosaur!

Fair trade, if you ask me...
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

Oddly, Quicksilver is the character Fox probably did the best job with.

His personality was utterly unlike the comics, but damn, did they do a good job with his speed.

Avengers 2 Spoiler Alert

Interesting that FOX, when pressed about their Quicksilver's little sister in the X-Men movie insisted that she was NOT the Scarlet Witch (another scene involving an older sister was deleted), while the MCU killed off Pietro in their universe. Now the twins will be split up with Wanda in the MCU and Pietro in the FOX-U, sort of like a bitter divorced couple splitting up the twins... weird.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited June 2015
    bamfbamf said:
    To be clear-- this is a licensed item. A poster for sale with a bunch of Marvel characters on it licensed for a poster company to sell. Bleeding Cool picked up on a poster they found for sale on Amazon. It looks like it is made by a poster company that has a Marvel license.

Does it say something about what Marvel is pushing when it comes to licensing? Sure.

But this is not an indication of what the future of the Marvel COMICS will be. It wasn't released as a teaser image about the future of Marvel or anything like that. And to my eye, it looks like it is stitched together from a bunch of different artists. It is not an actual image of what Marvel Universe, at least the comics, will be in 2015.

Keep in mind, on FCBD, we got our first (?) preview of what the post-Secret Wars Avengers will be, and it was this:

Our first look at the Avengers of the post-Secret Wars still has Sam Wilson as Captain America, and the female Thor. As opposed to this licensing image that has the more recognizable, former versions of those characters (Rogers as Cap, Odin's son as Thor). And the Inhumans on that poster aren't in the costumes that they wear in Uncanny Inhumans, which I believe is also supposed to take place post-SW.

So does this say something about where Marvel is focusing their licensing? Sure. But this is not actually the lineup of what characters we will find in Marvel Comics.

• Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    I hate Marvel comics seriously they let Movie side run the comics side.

I don't read any Marvel books anymore after reading them for most of my life just one terrible thing after another IMO.

And for me anyways it stems from Joe Q forcing One More Day down our throats. I've personally haven't read any Spider-Man since then and the Universe for me as a whole has never been the same.

And maybe that also has to do with Civil War as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Mihawk said:

I hate Marvel comics seriously they let Movie side run the comics side.

I don't read any Marvel books anymore after reading them for most of my life just one terrible thing after another IMO.

And for me anyways it stems from Joe Q forcing One More Day down our throats. I've personally haven't read any Spider-Man since then and the Universe for me as a whole has never been the same.

And maybe that also has to do with Civil War as well.

If you don't like or want to read Marvel, then fair enough, it's your money.

But If the movie side were truly "running things" in Marvel comics, then shouldn't Cap be a white guy and Thor be a man in the same summer that Age of Ultron comes out? Shouldn't the X-Men stop being in comics with The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy?

And, sure, a lot of people didn't like One More Day. But it was also seven years ago. And there is a lot more to Marvel comics than Spider-Man continuity.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    But Spidey is the best. And Doom. I want a series where Peter and Victor are roommates. Blackbolt and his harem can be their wacky neighbors.
  • Options
    popestu said:

Interesting. Are those fan made? Or is that a newly licensed Secret Wars Doom?
  • Options
    David_D said:

popestu said:

Interesting. Are those fan made? Or is that a newly licensed Secret Wars Doom?
    Black Costume Spider-Man vs. Dr. Doom

Manufacturer Hasbro

Line Marvel Universe

Assortment Greatest Battles Comic Packs

Year 2012

Series/Wave Toys”R”Us Exclusive

Retail $19.99

Black Costume Spider-Man vs. Dr. Doom recently debuted at San Diego Comic Con and is quickly being released to Toys”R”Us stores. This TRU exclusive Greatest Battles Comic Packs wave also included Spider-Man vs. Rhino. In addition to the Spider-Man packs there is also 2 X-Men Vs. Avengers themed packs which include Magneto & Captain America and Wolverine & She-Hulk.image
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    David_D said:

And, sure, a lot of people didn't like One More Day. But it was also seven years ago. And there is a lot more to Marvel comics than Spider-Man continuity.

I hated OMD. But I loved the Brand New Day stuff. Spidey felt fresh to me again, even if it picked up or re-used old story elements.

People are still shocked at me that I can disassociate BND from OMD.

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I walked away after BND. Didn't like the dissolution of the marriage, wasn't interested in the book without JMS, and I wasn't thrilled with the idea of trying to follow a (very nearly) weekly comic when they kicked the schedule up to three times a month.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

I walked away after BND. Didn't like the dissolution of the marriage, wasn't interested in the book without JMS, and I wasn't thrilled with the idea of trying to follow a (very nearly) weekly comic when they kicked the schedule up to three times a month.

I'm in agreement with @DoctorDoom.
    I also HATED OMD. Total hack job. And like @Chuck_Melville, I didn't agree with erasing away poor Peter & Mary Jane's marriage. But I was happy to see JMS off the book. Although I did enjoy some of what he did with Spidey over the years, some it was unforgivable (that god awful "Sins Past" story arc), and the tone of the book always was soooo depressing. Even though I don't like how it got there, Spidey is fun again! Slott has made Spider-Man exciting, and voice of the book is perfect.
  • Options
    Hex said:

I'm in agreement with @DoctorDoom.
    I also HATED OMD. Total hack job. And like @Chuck_Melville, I didn't agree with erasing away poor Peter & Mary Jane's marriage. But I was happy to see JMS off the book. Although I did enjoy some of what he did with Spidey over the years, some it was unforgivable (that god awful "Sins Past" story arc), and the tone of the book always was soooo depressing. Even though I don't like how it got there, Spidey is fun again! Slott has made Spider-Man exciting, and voice of the book is perfect.

(Not to turn this into a Spidey thread) While I agree with BND being a refreshing change of pace for Spidey, and OMD being a total hack job... I have to say I can not wait for Slott's run on The character to be over. Of the Spidey Brain Trust that worked on BND he was one of my least favorite (sorry Bob Gale, you were the worst). I almost dropped the book, a mainstay in my collecting from day one, when he became the sole writer. His writing is non-stop Mary-Sue fan fiction. And after 700 I did drop the book. (I've since caught up on Marvel Unlimited and my opinion hasn't changed.)
  • Options
    Hey folks. Im glad i found the spidey thread.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Ok Ok... we might have gone a little off track.

Anyway... I have always been a fan of the Maximoff twins. I found their history and tangled past intriguing. It has always been like a curious puzzle to trace their roots. Both Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver have gone through many (MANY) interesting and varied phases of their super-heroic (and villainous) careers. Having said that, this most recent retcon of their heritage, doesn't really sit well with me. Why add ANOTHER layer of confusion to their already overly convoluted past? And it doesn't feel like it is being done to further the characters, or for the sake of a good story. Without getting into spoilers (it doesn't really matter), the recent Uncanny Avengers "reveal" was weak at best. It definitely feels shoe-horned in and an editorial mandate in an attempt to align the two with the cinematic universe (they aren't "Mutants"). It doesn't "help" the characters and if anything, makes them less accessible to those trying to familiarize themselves with these two Marvel properties. I also find it unfortunate in light of the recent X-factor stories, exploring the twins relationship with their "half-sister", Lorna Dane (daughter of Magneto). Those were great character moments, and laid the ground work for more great interaction between the three "siblings". Now? it is all pretty much moot.
  • Options
    Once Wanda became the destroyer and rebuilder of reality (over and over) she wore thin for me. She is always taken back (except by Rogue).

Then there's poor Hank Pym. He can't get a break. He hits his wife way back in the day and has a nervous breakdown and he becomes that guy at the party everyone avoids.

Wanda deconstructs reality, almost killed Agatha Harkness, killed Pym and caused She Hulk to rip Vision in half while Clint was killed by a Kree ship, created a racist society in House of M, and initiated No More Mutants-resulting in deaths of former mutants. Due to he actions, many many people suffered.

One nervousness breakdown and attempted world domination or recreation is excusable in comic book world. She is way beyond any benefit-of-the-doubt.

Its too bad because George Perez drew a sweet Wanda