Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Designing a remake: A little help

Greetings.

Today, I'm going to discuss about my plans regarding my own version of modernized Santini vs Satelit Omega, an old comic book from Indonesia. I've discussed it at my other post. Here're the links
https://thecomicforums.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4280/santini-vs-satelit-omega-synopsis-part-1#latest
https://thecomicforums.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4283/santini-vs-satelit-omega-synopsis-ii#latest

Currently these ideas are just to better construct the headcanon of the story, and I need a little help from the more experienced geeks here.

Time setting:

I'm torn between using the original 1970s setting or the current 21st century setting. The comic has strong 1970s James Bond movie vibe and some elements of scifi movies of that era (underwater base, planet destroying spacecraft, and the "corny" storyline). Since I want it to be mature, should I use the current more serious and "darker" vibe of DC movies or use the current James Bond movie formula? I know that the use of underwater base and weaponized spacecraft are not that outdated (try G.I. Joe: Retalation and James Bond: Die Another Day, and don't forget the Starkiller Base from Star Wars: The Force Awaken)

Costume:

From the cover here

We see that the main heroine's costume still follow the trend of the era: The more revealing, the better. We see that the upper costume has a quite low neckline, revealing her cleavage, and she wears a short for the bottom. In this era, we move to the more conservative and practical design, like how Black Widow and Wonder Woman's costumes covered more of their skin, giving them more protection and making them saver for the younger audiences. I plan to make her wear catsuit, such as Catwoman 2012's costume

Locations:

There are two important locations in the story, The Omega Syndicate's underwater base and their weapon, and the eponymous weaponized satelite/space station called Satelit Omega.

The underwater base

If we see the layout (top right), you don't really see an Egyptian design there. It was more like your typical cassette futurism layout. The evil organization chose Egypt as their main base of operation and was led by a Cleopatra wannabe, so I think we need to change the layout to fit the supposed Egyptian vibe. Maybe add more pillars, statues, and hieroglyph, with cyberpunk element being thrown to it. What do you think?

Continue to part 2

Images are not mine. Credits goes to the artists/uploaders

I respect the original art and the author of the original comic, so I don't mean to alter his fruit of labor

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Personally, I wouldn’t place it in any specific time period. I’d keep some of the ’70s affectations, but with modern/futuristic-looking technology—a blending of time periods kind of like what Batman: The Animated Series did.

As for the tone, go with whatever you feel more comfortable writing. Personally, I'm not a big fan of “dark and gritty” by and large, especially when it comes to superheroes, though there are certainly things in that category I enjoy. But, as I said, you should write what feels right to you. If you try to write based on what you think other people will enjoy, it will end up feeling contrived.
  • Oh yes, Batman: The Animated Series. Sci-fi computers and 1940s cars