Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Superman Question

On his podcast the other day, comedian Larry Miller brought up something that I have neglected to think of before, but now that I have become aware of I am obsessing over. That question: "Superman walks through bullets with no problem and not a care in the world, but when in hand to hand combat, he is always attempting to duck the punch. Why would he have to do that if he could shrug off a bullet?" I am thoroughly confused and turn to my forum-mates for advice.

Best Answers

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Answer ✓
    If you remember in "A Death in the Family", Batman clocks Superman and then you see Batman in a tremendous amount of pain. Bruce says he thought he broke his knuckles and Superman responds by saying that the weren't broken but badly bruised. Superman says that Bruce was luck because if he hadn't moved with the punch, Batman would have been paralyzed from the punch. I would imagine that Superman ducks punches in order to not seriously hurt someone.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Answer ✓
    Superman doesn't want to hurt anyone. I mean, you have seen this kind of thing in his origin story all the time. Not being allowed to play football because he might hurt someone by accident. It's part of Superman's humanity that sets him apart from other heroes.

Answers

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    He's a germophobe?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I guess it depends who's throwing the punch, maybe.

Any average joe would probably get some to all of his hand bones broken or shattered.

Anybody with comparable strength and invulnerability would make Supes feel it if it connected.

Is he making a consious decision to duck, dive and dodge OR is it a natural reaction?

Then again he could just be showing off too.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I've always seen it that he'll take the first punch, either because he's unprepared or because he doesn't think it'll hurt him.

Afterwards, he's a bit more cautious.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    If you remember in "A Death in the Family", Batman clocks Superman and then you see Batman in a tremendous amount of pain. Bruce says he thought he broke his knuckles and Superman responds by saying that the weren't broken but badly bruised. Superman says that Bruce was luck because if he hadn't moved with the punch, Batman would have been paralyzed from the punch. I would imagine that Superman ducks punches in order to not seriously hurt someone.
    I do somewhat have that opinion, but it just feels weird to me, ducking to protect others. Then again, that kinda is what Supes is all about.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Curse you, Tom Welling!
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Its a take on an old joke from an unknown comedian that always made me laugh too(couldve been Larry Miller himself from years ago likely). It made fun of the old black and white Superman TV show. Near every episode Superman would stand proud letting all the bullets bounce off his chest but would duck when the crook would then throw his empty gun at him.
    I like the idea of him knowingly avoiding punches to prevent the person seriously injuring themselves.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Its a take on an old joke from an unknown comedian that always made me laugh too(couldve been Larry Miller himself from years ago likely). It made fun of the old black and white Superman TV show. Near every episode Superman would stand proud letting all the bullets bounce off his chest but would duck when the crook would then throw his empty gun at him.
    I like the idea of him knowingly avoiding punches to prevent the person seriously injuring themselves.
    What about people getting hurt by all those bouncing bullets?
  • Options
    I think I heard it from Seinfeld, but I could be misremembering too.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    I think I heard it from Seinfeld, but I could be misremembering too.

Actually it was Robert Wuhl

The bit starts around 5:15 mark
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0l5nLx099A
  • Options
    *sigh* Obviously you are right. Funny how it got morphed in my memory.