Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Flash

Comments

• Options
    Torchsong said:

I'm hoping Jay Garrick gets a bigger role as time goes on. Joe is a great mentor and father figure, but it's obvious Barry needs some guidance in the realm of speedsters and superhuman responsibility.

But please....speaking of speedsters, they've really gotta stop with new speedsters every other week.

If you're going to give Barry guidance in the realm of speedsters, you need to make room in the show for the only speedster who can train him. The Zen Master of Speed.

Waid fans know who I'm talkin' about... :)
    Please, God...NO MORE SPEEDSTERS! Not even Max Mercury! Let Jay Garrick represent all old-timey speedsters of yore!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'd love to see a Max Mercury episode. Just have some guy who understands it better than anyone and makes Wells look like an idiot.

Then wait a season, and bring in Barry's grandson. Then I get the Impulse show I've always wanted. :)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

I'd love to see a Max Mercury episode. Just have some guy who understands it better than anyone and makes Wells look like an idiot.

Then wait a season, and bring in Barry's grandson. Then I get the Impulse show I've always wanted. :)

And the Soviet speedster team! (What were they called?)

The more speedsters the merrier!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Yeah...so EVERY episode can be filled with zig-zagging colored blurs! Wheeeee!
  • Options
    Wheeeee indeed!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The more I thought about it last night, this series could USE a Max Mercury character. As much as everyone in that show is so versed in the science of the speed force, how cool would it be to have someone who adheres to the spiritual side of it? Man, the possibilities are boundless.

It'd be Angel Summoner and the BMX Bandit all over again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw
  • Options
    I haven't analyzed it too closely, but I've enjoyed the first two episodes of this season. We ended season 2 (or I ended season 2) thinking this new season would encompass the Flashpoint storyline.

[Though we didn't know about the use of Flashpoint then, did we? And it can be argued that the Flashpoint story is still going, be that as it may]

Anyway. An expectation would have been that Barry's mother would finally be a full-time presence, and we'd have Kid Flash along for the ride, and we'd get to experience this new timeline. But they wrapped that all up in the first episode. Nicely done, I say. A little swerve that will take us down another path.

Of course, then there's the issue of Barry and Iris having not kissed ... again. A valid argument; that story's been stretched out a bit much. But, they took care of that with episode two. Again, well played.

So, I have appreciated the fact the creators have been willing to move away from what the expected story was.

As to other points. I can see the issue with too many speedsters, but I don't subscribe to it. I loved Waid's initial run on the character, when it really became about family, and specifically a family of speedsters. So, I don't have a big problem with this (though, could we get a redo on the Rival's costume? That is horrible). Also, for me, my enjoyment of this show is as much about the relationships as it is about the villains and the superspeed (and I'm still digging the color blur for the speed), and I like how they've upended things again, with the latest timeshift from Barry. It's introduced some friction between friends, and gives them a bit of room to move in the relationships.

Could the series benefit from some of the changes proposed in recent posts, here? Hell, yeah. I'd love to see them open things up, have Barry go to other dimensions, and yes, give me a Gorilla City episode (that would/could be so good!). But, at this point, I don't need that. I'm enjoying the series still, quite a bit, and I'm looking forward to Jessie Quick, as a speedster. Bring it on.

-chris
  • Options

I can see the issue with too many speedsters, but I don't subscribe to it. I loved Waid's initial run on the character, when it really became about family, and specifically a family of speedsters.

{snip}

Also, for me, my enjoyment of this show is as much about the relationships as it is about the villains and the superspeed (and I'm still digging the color blur for the speed), and I like how they've upended things again, with the latest timeshift from Barry. It's introduced some friction between friends, and gives them a bit of room to move in the relationships.

Great points!

To me, the key to this series is to keep moving. (Yes, the show about the Flash should be fast-paced!) Storylines can't be allowed to bog down. The two-episode resolution of the Flashpoint problem is a good sign that the showrunners are still on the ball.

BTW: I typoed "showrunnerds", which really should be a word.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Man I am just not feeling the Flash at all right now. 3 episodes in and I haven't liked any of them. And the most recent episode "Magenta" I thought was the worst so far.

The kid actress who played Magenta I thought was very bad. And the look of her holding her arms out and shaking them when she used her powers looked ridiculous lol.

Harry coming back was the only saving grace of this episode. And Jesse being a Speedster is OK. I am over all the Speedsters but we knew this would happen eventually just like Wally getting his powers will happen.

This episode in large part just felt like a filler freak of the week episode. Hopefully the next episode will be good considering who the Villain is?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

WetRats said:

Yeah...so EVERY episode can be filled with zig-zagging colored blurs! Wheeeee!
    Speed lines are the best.
    Take that however you like...
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Mihawk said:

Man I am just not feeling the Flash at all right now. 3 episodes in and I haven't liked any of them. And the most recent episode "Magenta" I thought was the worst so far.

The kid actress who played Magenta I thought was very bad. And the look of her holding her arms out and shaking them when she used her powers looked ridiculous lol.

Harry coming back was the only saving grace of this episode. And Jesse being a Speedster is OK. I am over all the Speedsters but we knew this would happen eventually just like Wally getting his powers will happen.

This episode in large part just felt like a filler freak of the week episode. Hopefully the next episode will be good considering who the Villain is?

I don't know. I wasn't really excited to see Harry back...NOT!!!
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    This last episode was just all around lousy.
  • Options
    We do all realize Doctor Alchemy will be giving Wally his speed, right? That's gotta be where we're going.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    WetRats said:

We do all realize Doctor Alchemy will be giving Wally his speed, right? That's gotta be where we're going.

That makes sense. "I want my speed tooooo!"

• Options
    Why does every season of CW superhero shows now require a season-long villain behind the scenes? The Doctor Alchemy thing is Season 3's boogieman, with zero insight or motivation as to who he is or what's he's doing....other than being the new "Particle Accelerator Accident" excuse for sudden super powers.

Also, the incredible tension of wondering if Barry and Iris would have a good date really stressed out my inner 13 year-old girl.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Also, the incredible tension of wondering if Barry and Iris would have a good date really stressed out my inner 13 year-old girl.

I knew you had an inner 13-year-old girl trapped somewhere beneath that grumpy exterior. :smiley:
  • Options
    Episode 3: Was anyone else as flabbergasted as I was that Wally sulking over not having super speed is actually a plot line that's consuming air time and, by extension, our own heartbeats? Yes...I get it....the CW shows are aimed at a very young demographic...but surely even the most self-centered of teenagers can see that Wally's pouting for powers makes him incredibly unappealing as a character in a show populated by plenty of unappealing (and formerly appealing) characters.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Can't be any worse than the Wally West I grew up reading in Wolfman/Perez' New Teen Titans. THAT guy could give a lecture series on how to be overly serious and mopey.

Touche'.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    FINALLY the Flash got interesting again in the last 20 minutes of the most recent episode. I think the big problem it has been nothing but freak of the week the whole season.

Arrow did it smart by having a small arc within the overall arc. Which is what Flashpoint should have been. Instead of solving it in the first episode.
  • Options
    This show gets worse every week. "Awww, dad...you're fine with Barry having powers, but why not MEEEEEE?" Total condescension to the teens...which...yes...I get it. That's CW's prime demographic...but do they have to be so flagrant about it?
  • Options
    A big problem I'm having right now is that it's completely meta what they are doing with Caitlin right now.

Why exactly is she so afraid of becoming evil? Because a alternate version of her on a different Earth did? But that's ridiculous because both Cisco and Firestorm was evil there to. I'd even say Cisco was the most evil there?

And Cisco didn't become a killer, so why is she so afraid? The reason is because these writers know she's supposed to be bad. So they are artificially putting this ridiculous mindset into her and it's stupid.

That's the way the writing has been this season so far. Just really really bad. Now honestly I have thought in the past both Seasons 1 and 2 didn't get really good tell episode 9.

So I'm very much hoping that's the case again here, and not that they have no idea how to do a 3rd Season like with Arrow?
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

A big problem I'm having right now is that it's completely meta what they are doing with Caitlin right now.

Why exactly is she so afraid of becoming evil? Because a alternate version of her on a different Earth did? But that's ridiculous because both Cisco and Firestorm was evil there to. I'd even say Cisco was the most evil there?

And Cisco didn't become a killer, so why is she so afraid? The reason is because these writers know she's supposed to be bad. So they are artificially putting this ridiculous mindset into her and it's stupid.

That's the way the writing has been this season so far. Just really really bad. Now honestly I have thought in the past both Seasons 1 and 2 didn't get really good tell episode 9.

So I'm very much hoping that's the case again here, and not that they have no idea how to do a 3rd Season like with Arrow?

If I remember right, there have been instances or story arcs, where Killer Frosts mental disposition was effected by her powers. Notice when Caitlin gets riled up her eyes ice over and she becomes menacing and violent. Like shes being consumed by her ability in more ways than one.

I forget where it was in this thread, but the option to bring in Max Mercury actually might save this season for me, IF they do it and HOW they do it if they do. The problem? I'm about to totally contradict myself here with my next statement.

I'm done with the speedster villains. Reverse Flash, Zoom, now Rival. Jesus am I ever done with it. If the ONLY WAY to tell a compelling Flash story was speed vs speed, then the comics would've died out a long time ago. Flash would've never been a character popular enough and worthy of his own show in the first place if that was the case. So the CW really needs to stop going to that well so often. The ONLY OTHER speed villains I'd be the least bit interested in would be the Black Racer from the Fourth World stuff (right?). And, to a MUCH LESSER extent, MAYBE Cobalt Blue.

But again, I'd gladly sacrifice the potential of those speed villain moments to get some more ongoing threats to Barry than JUST speed vs speed.
  • Options

I'm done with the speedster villains. Reverse Flash, Zoom, now Rival.

....and don't forget Savitar! I hear you....I'm really sick and tired of the crowd of speedsters ping-ponging all over the screen. Very boring, and really waters down Barry's uniqueness.
  • Options
    So nice to see Julian warm up to Barry last week. Aaaaand he's a dick again.
  • Options

So nice to see Julian warm up to Barry last week. Aaaaand he's a dick again.

I was sure they were going to reveal Julian to be Doctor Alchemy. Still think he is.
  • Options
    I thought we would get reruns this week but nice to see a new Flash with Supergirl and Gotham.
  • Options
    This was the best episode so far this year. Hope that is a start of a trend.
  • Options
    So you can skip Supergirl all together since the only crossover scene in Supergirl is also in the Flash.

I didn't love melodrama the Cisco stirred up. How in the world could they forget about that recorder? Very stupid.

I loved the Oliver scene with Barry in the Time Vault. Of course anyone would try what he did. Supergirl vs Flash was very good, I don't think you can get much better CG than that on TV?

• Options
    Me and the CW superhero franchise continue to diverge. The crossover was extremely clunky, bogged down even more by all the Flashpoint stone throwing, Cisco's extremely unconvincing cold shoulder (didn't this version of Cisco already get mad at Barry earlier this season???), and Wally's childish whining about how nobody wants him to have superpowers. Not impressed with the crossover at all.