Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Classic Comic Ads (are awesome too)

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    mwhitt80 said:

I love that salty Rick Barry, maybe the most hated player of his era, is being pleasant to kids. I'm not even sure that liked his on kids much less a bunch of bunch of dirty street urchins. Plus that man never smiled once in his adult life.

PS I love me some salty Rick Barry. I'm not sure there is a great NBA player I've ever truly disliked, even Kareem.

Fun Fact: Barry liked the ad, though he didn’t think Davis’ drawing of him looked like him. He did not even get to see the ad before it ran.
  • Also pertinent to this thread, a few years back, Jim Rugg & Jason Lex created a zine of just comic ads. It was the first time Rugg had made a zine, and he and Lex were learning by doing with this and created just a run of 40. I was at SPX that year and managed to snag a copy. It's pretty great. You can check the link for Rugg's tumblr post on the zine, which has a number of the ads they chose on display, including another from Jack Davis, Kirby, McFarlane, and the Black Dragon Fighting Society.

LINK

-chris
    And speaking of Jack Davis, I loved his illustrations for the Slim Jim ads.

• RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    The Thunderbolts had their own Fruit Pie ad

• HexHex Posts: 944

TSR & Marvel --- two great tastes that go great together. (possibly...because I never played this RPG)

MSHRPG deserves a thread of its own!
    I've got a box of this stuff stashed away in the garage. My 11 year old Marvel Zombie is going to LOVE IT.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Still my favorite comic book ad (from Superman #116, 1957)....

comiccoverage.typepad.com/comic_coverage/2007/02/classic_ads_esc.html

Pretty freaking awesome.

Not quite 2-person mini-sub awesome, but still...
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

Still my favorite comic book ad (from Superman #116, 1957)....

comiccoverage.typepad.com/comic_coverage/2007/02/classic_ads_esc.html

Pretty freaking awesome.

Not quite 2-person mini-sub awesome, but still...
    Not sure that it was exactly this one or not but I inherited one similar to this. Bullets were hard plastic and stung if you got hit.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

good to know I’m not going senile. [Edit: Although I’d posted this in the Jack Davis RIP thread, not in the other comic book ad thread. @LibraryBoy posted it there. So I’m only partly senile.]

Oh, you're not senile

A great series. I need to reread my trades. I have it in trades, floppies, and even the magazine.

Did Marvel collect those two short stories from Savage Tales magazine in the trades?

And a second question, @bralinator: Did you ever read Don Lomax's Vietnam Journal series? Those first 16 issues, especially, are some of the best comics (in my opinion) ever created.
    The 'Nam trades I have only collect the floppies from the color series.

Wow. I need to check out Don Lomax's Vietnam Journal series sometime. Do you know if his whole series is collected in one volume?

A great series. I need to reread my trades. I have it in trades, floppies, and even the magazine.

Did Marvel collect those two short stories from Savage Tales magazine in the trades?

And a second question, @bralinator: Did you ever read Don Lomax's Vietnam Journal series? Those first 16 issues, especially, are some of the best comics (in my opinion) ever created.
    The 'Nam trades I have only collect the floppies from the color series.

Wow. I need to check out Don Lomax's Vietnam Journal series sometime. Do you know if his whole series is collected in one volume?

It's been collected multiple times, but never in one volume. The original series was 16 issues long, and is collected in four books. He’s currently working on the eighth book.
  • @bralinator -- What Eric states above, except that the 8th book has been completed and published.

Perusing the internet, it looks like you can find paper and kindle editions on Amazon. The original Transfuzion publishing site, which reprinted all these 8 volumes, no longer has a store link that works, and it appears Don Lomax's personal site was scooped up by someone else, so it's hard to find any current news. Lomax has been persistent in continuing the story of Scott Neithammer, with one or more of these collections completing stories left unfinished when Apple Comics went bankrupt, while also finding other venues (and utilizing other formats, such as a single-page per chapter format) for his story, including online . I wouldn't put it past him if he were still working on newer stories, but I found nothing to verify that.

Like I said, those first 16 issues really stand out for me. Lomax's black and white art, reminiscent of Stephen Bissette's work, mixed with his stories, informed by his own experiences in the Vietnam war, were terribly affecting. This link has a good example of his artwork and storytelling, from the first issue of the series --- LINK.

-chris
    Thanks for the update, Chris. I haven’t kept up with it very well.

Artwise, Vietnam Journal obviously is not as strong as Michael Golden’s work on The ’Nam, but it’s strong enough so that it doesn’t hurt his excellent writing. I read the original series as it was coming out (I think I started about halfway through). It’s worth picking up however you can find it. And you can probably find the original issues fairly easily and cheap.
  • Maybe if they'd had one more meeting, they could have conceived a better company name. Still, cool toys, for the time.

-chris
  • Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited October 2016
    Obviously pre-Star Wars, since the possibilities for sci-fi "Dinky Toys" were pretty slim pickings. Space 1999? (shudder)
    This Mort Drucker illustration for the Shrunken Head kit always caught my eye. And it made for a great Halloween activity!

@bralinator -- What Eric states above, except that the 8th book has been completed and published.

Perusing the internet, it looks like you can find paper and kindle editions on Amazon. The original Transfuzion publishing site, which reprinted all these 8 volumes, no longer has a store link that works, and it appears Don Lomax's personal site was scooped up by someone else, so it's hard to find any current news. Lomax has been persistent in continuing the story of Scott Neithammer, with one or more of these collections completing stories left unfinished when Apple Comics went bankrupt, while also finding other venues (and utilizing other formats, such as a single-page per chapter format) for his story, including online . I wouldn't put it past him if he were still working on newer stories, but I found nothing to verify that.

Like I said, those first 16 issues really stand out for me. Lomax's black and white art, reminiscent of Stephen Bissette's work, mixed with his stories, informed by his own experiences in the Vietnam war, were terribly affecting. This link has a good example of his artwork and storytelling, from the first issue of the series --- LINK.

-chris

Artwise, Vietnam Journal obviously is not as strong as Michael Golden’s work on The ’Nam, but it’s strong enough so that it doesn’t hurt his excellent writing. I read the original series as it was coming out (I think I started about halfway through). It’s worth picking up however you can find it. And you can probably find the original issues fairly easily and cheap.

And Lomax wrote later issues of The 'Nam that I don't think I ever got to. THis is definitely a series I need to check out and re-check out later issues of the 'Nam (even WITH the Punisher's arrival). @ChrisBeckett, when I mentioned having three trades of the 'Nam, they were the original trades which only collect up to issue 12. These came out between 1987 - 89. Later collected trades (also called volume 1, 2 & 3) came out in 2009-2011 and that final volume 3 includes not only issues #21-30, but does indeed collect the Lomax short stories from Savage Tales (Vol. 2) issues #1 & 4, which I'm delighted to already have in magazine form and read over and over many, many times when they came out.

• @bralinator -- What Eric states above, except that the 8th book has been completed and published.

-chris

And Lomax wrote later issues of The 'Nam that I don't think I ever got to. THis is definitely a series I need to check out and re-check out later issues of the 'Nam (even WITH the Punisher's arrival). @ChrisBeckett, when I mentioned having three trades of the 'Nam, they were the original trades which only collect up to issue 12. These came out between 1987 - 89. Later collected trades (also called volume 1, 2 & 3) came out in 2009-2011 and that final volume 3 includes not only issues #21-30, but does indeed collect the Lomax short stories from Savage Tales (Vol. 2) issues #1 & 4, which I'm delighted to already have in magazine form and read over and over many, many times when they came out.

Ah, good to know. And, yes, I believe you will appreciate Vietnam Journal quite a bit.

• aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    edited October 2016
    I'm a huge fan of these Wheaties ads. Wish Wheaties would put out a book.

Obviously pre-Star Wars, since the possibilities for sci-fi "Dinky Toys" were pretty slim pickings. Space 1999? (shudder)

The show was terrible, but the Eagle was a really cool vehicle.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

The show was terrible, but the Eagle was a really cool vehicle.
    I had the toy Eagle. It was awesome! Especially when loaded with Star Wars and Micronauts action figs.

Pretty sure I recreated scenes from Silent Running with my Power Droid and the dorsal gantry.
  • I was a fan of Alan Moore already. This image from David Lloyd just made it more imperative I get this series, back in the day.

-chris
  • Another one of DC’s better house ads:

Yes!
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited October 2016
    Hex said:

TSR & Marvel --- two great tastes that go great together. (possibly...because I never played this RPG)

MSHRPG deserves a thread of its own!
    I've got a box of this stuff stashed away in the garage. My 11 year old Marvel Zombie is going to LOVE IT.
    FASERIP!

My mom was still refusing to let me play D & D when TSR's Marvel was released, it was a welcomed compromise. My books have fallen apart but I have been saved as pdf's.
  • Greg said:

My mom was still refusing to let me play D & D

Was she afraid it would lead you to ...

• This was a favorite toy. Especially loved the bionic eye.

-chris
    edited October 2016
    I had a Bionic Man, but I preferred my G.I. Joe Adventure Team. I had Talking G.I. Joe, the Secret of the Mummuy’s Tomb set, Sea Adventurer, and the Sea Wolf submarine, I really wanted Bulletman. One of my friends got one for his birthday, and I was very jealous.

[Edit: If I had to guess, I'd say the art is probably penciled by Sal Buscema and inked by Joe Sinnott.]

Let’s not forget the many PSAs that have run in comics. And what better place to start than the granddaddy of them all, Frank Frazetta’s anti-smoking PSA which ran in the Warren magazines.

Holy cats, that's beautiful.