Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Doctor Strange (SPOILERS-- Seen it? Discuss it here)

As per usual practice, we'll have this spoiler thread for those that have seen it, and eventually this will get combined with the news and discussion one once it has been out awhile.

So... have at it!

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Way to go Marvel (and Kevin Feige)! Rotten tomatoes has this film at 90% fresh after 177 reviews.

Doctor Strange artfully balances its outré source material against the blockbuster constraints of the MCU, delivering a thoroughly entertaining superhero origin story in the bargain.

Great use of "outré."
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Great fun!

Far more action-packed than I expected, but love how non-fighty the actual victory was.

The Cloak of Levitation was my favorite character.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited November 2016
    Loved it! Cumberbatch was great. Really did a nice job of capturing his transformation from arrogant surgeon to at-times-in-over-his-head sorcerer.

Have to agree with WetRats on the Cloak of Levitation. That and Wong were my 2 favorite characters. The part where Strange kept referring to Wong by different 1 named celebs ("Beyonce?") was an "LOL" moment for the whole theater.

"Dormammu, I have come to bargain!"

Special effects, as many reviews alluded, were like a cross between The Matrix and Inception. Fantastic.

The Dark Dimension reminded me of something you'd see under an electron microscope. Had previously seen speculation that Dr. Strange may play a role in rescuing Janet Van Dyne in Ant-Man 2. Thought this lent that theory a little credence.

Mordo's heel turn didn't come off as believable to me. I know he felt betrayed by The Ancient One and all, but I thought that could have been handled better.

The mid-credits scene with Thor may have been their best one ever.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited November 2016
    I saw it last night and I give it a solid B. This might go up on second viewing because I didn't see it on an IMAX 3D screen and I kept thinking during the movie "I need to see this in IMAX 3D" They really nailed his origin. It was probably one of the most faithful movie adaptions of a movie origin since Cap. Hasn't been that many origin movies in awhile. I enjoyed Wong. Despite my reservations I enjoyed Cate Blanchett as the Ancient One. I enjoyed the Mordo heel turn during the credits scene. I look forward to the Dr. Strange cameo I guess we will be getting for Thor! Yay! Nice we don't have to wait too long to see him again.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Great fun!

Far more action-packed than I expected, but love how non-fighty the actual victory was.

The Cloak of Levitation was my favorite character.

They did make the cloak a character didn't they?
  • Options

Mordo's heel turn didn't come off as believable to me. I know he felt betrayed by The Ancient One and all, but I thought that could have been handled better.

I would have liked to spend more time with Mordo (as is pretty much always the case with any character played by Chiwetel Ejiofor). While I saw the turn set up, another scene or two of Mordo and Strange debating philosophically would have been nice. Alas, the perceived public hunger for action must be served, and this was quite a talky/thinky movie for a mass-market blockbuster.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited November 2016
    WetRats said:

I would have liked to spend more time with Mordo (as is pretty much always the case with any character played by Chiwetel Ejiofor). While I saw the turn set up, another scene or two of Mordo and Strange debating philosophically would have been nice. Alas, the perceived public hunger for action must be served, and this was quite a talky/thinky movie for a mass-market blockbuster.
    I kind of saw it setting up but yes a bit more debate would have been nice. I was kind of surprisedthat the fights were so physical than I had expected from a Dr. Strange movie but tickets have to be sold.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    edited November 2016
    Haven't seen it yet, but I'm so happy that it's getting praise. I had feared that with Cumberbatch in the lead, the billowy costumes, and high concept Strange might become very Master Thespian-ish.

"ACTING"
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm so happy that it's getting praise. I had feared that with Cumberbatch in the lead, the billowy costumes, and high concept Strange might become very Master Thespian-ish.

"ACTING"

There has been some vigorous criticism of his American accent.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

aquatroy said:

"ACTING"

On the quality of his accent or that he had an American accent? My wife and daughter thought Dr. Strange was British so that's why they thought they got Cumberbatch so they were surprised he had an American accent.
  • Options
    When I saw the trailer, I thought it was Hugh Laurie's voice.
  • Options

WetRats said:

aquatroy said:

"ACTING"

On the quality of his accent or that he had an American accent? My wife and daughter thought Dr. Strange was British so that's why they thought they got Cumberbatch so they were surprised he had an American accent.
    Apparently it was found distracting. I had no problem with it.
  • Options

It is a very similar "what Brits think Yanks sound like" approach.
  • Options

I thought the same thing after I saw the first trailer.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    edited November 2016
    I saw the movie today. First of all this movie is visually stunning. It really made greatuse of the 3D. I am glad they kept Strange as a kind of ass through out. In the comics Strange always comes off as kind of aloof or otherworldly. I liked what they did with Mordor in not making him as a one off villain that no one will care about in upcoming movies.

I was surprised about the action and the martial arts. After seeing this I not am surprised Feigie cooled on doing an Iron Fist movie. If you take out the similar origin stories it still leaves them with trying to make the action sequences as cool as these.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I had no idea Rachel McAdams was in the movie, so that was a nice surprise (I don't watch trailers). Between her, Cumberbatch and Swinton it was a very nice cast for a Marvel film. I liked how quickly they jumped into the tragedy of his life and got that part moving, instead of dragging it out. The main conflict with the villain was a bit pedestrian and looked like all the other Marvel movie showdowns. Overall, a B.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Just got back. Still processing, but I think that this might now be my favorite Marvel movie. There are flaws, but it felt like my Dr Strange jumping off of the page while everything else has been something other than my preferred version.

The 3D was spectacular. I don't normally spring for the extra $ to see in 3D, but having seen a couple of the clips, including on Fallon last night, I knew that this one had to be experienced in that way and I was completely satisfied.

I did spend a little time wondering if the big bad would have been Doom if Marvel held the license. Could have been cool, but at the same time somewhat relieved given the finality of resolution for so many of their villains.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Saw the movie last night. At first blush, I thought it ran a bit long. However, that could be the nerd in me not needing all the trippy stuff to explain the character. I'm sure that those that were new to Strange appreciated the time that was taken and the effects used. They really were beautifully done. All of the magic stuff was gorgeous.

I like the juxtaposition of Strange and Mordru. However, the after after credits scene took Mordru took a really dark place much to soon. I would have liked for their enmity to be a bit more complex than the average Marvel Movie.

Why did Dormammu have to be a big face? That wasn't nearly as bad as the Galactus cloud, but I would have liked for Dormammu to have been a little closer to the comic version. Especially something like the Bachalo version in the last couple issues of Dr. Strange.

The after credit scene with Thor was really good!

Glad that Strange will remain a bit of an ass.

I want a cloak of Levitation.

I would give the movie a B-/B
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Just got out and I have a million thoughts running through my mind but first of all I loved it.

The SFX were top notch.

When Strange was first falling through all the different "worlds" I was hoping that we'd see at least a glimpse of Eternity.

Wong had the Wand of Watoomb!

They mentioned The Living Tribunal!

I was hoping for at least one, "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!" ...oh well.

Dormammu's look was..interesting. It certainly was trippy and otherworldly but I could of used some burning flames around that head of his!

The first end credit scene was really good.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited November 2016
    Saw it yesterday afternoon with the family. Good thing this came out after Halloween, otherwise I would be doing some last minute scrambling to throw together Dr. Strange costumes for my girls! Two thumbs up all around. Doc's Cloak of Levitation steals the show. Very much the same character as Disney's Aladdin's flying carpet (but it works). My girls MUST now have one.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Just got out and I have a million thoughts running through my mind but first of all I loved it.

The SFX were top notch.

When Strange was first falling through all the different "worlds" I was hoping that we'd see at least a glimpse of Eternity.

Wong had the Wand of Watoomb!

They mentioned The Living Tribunal!

I was hoping for at least one, "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!" ...oh well.

Dormammu's look was..interesting. It certainly was trippy and otherworldly but I could of used some burning flames around that head of his!

The first end credit scene was really good.

Yes to all of this! I was very pleased that they obviously referenced Ditko's crazy "other dimensions" as source material when they pulled together that sequence. And Dormammu's Dark Dimension was obviously Ditko inspired.

Although I too was wanting more of a flaming head version of Dormammu, I liked the rippling line effect that was a nice interpretation of the comic.
    Did you notice when Dormammu pulled in his evil "agents" at the end of the film, they transformed into something that looked very much like Mindless Ones!?!

I squealed when Wong was holding the Wand of Watoomb! I also noticed in the scene where the sorcerers were defending the Hong Kong Sanctum, there was a female character that was holding a staff that very much looked like Nico Minoru's Staff of One.

Overall, the film was far better than I was expecting. I wasn't crazy about Tilda Swinton's version of the Ancient One (I prefer the aged, feeble, smart-ass version better), but that is a minor quibble. I was kind of dreading having to tread through the "origin" of the character, but the adjustments made to get it on screen and fit within the Marvel Cinematic universe made it very enjoyable without losing the essence of what makes Doctor Strange one of my favourite Marvel characters. I was confident that this was going to be Marvel's first real cinematic stumble (more than Iron Man 2). Glad I was wrong. So many awesome things about this movie, can't wait to see it again.

I also liked that my daughter picked out the line at the end of the credits asking that viewers drive responsibly. nice touch.

And... I was pleased to see Doc wearing the orange gloves during the end credit scene with Thor. nice.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Hex said:

Did you notice when Dormammu pulled in his evil "agents" at the end of the film, they transformed into something that looked very much like Mindless Ones!?!

I did notice that but forgot to mention it! Yeah, they were skinny instead of squat and bulky but they were gray with the single red eye.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm giggling at some of the spellings of "mordo" in here.

"Mordor" and "Mordru". Both geeky names anyway :p
  • Options

I'm giggling at some of the spellings of "mordo" in here.

"Mordor" and "Mordru". Both geeky names anyway :p

Guilty! I went with Mordru.

• Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited November 2016
    A thought: This movie has slight problems with continuity. Other than the Avengers tower in the background cityscape of NYC, and the reference to (we believe) Rhodey (they mention a 30 something soldier with paralysis)..there were no other appearances or references to the Avengers or the MCU we've seen so far. (Outside of the credits)

However, in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Sitwell mentions Stephen Strange in a list of other MCU characters. " A TV anchor in Cairo, the Under Secretary of Defense, a high school valedictorian in Iowa City, Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, anyone who's a threat to HYDRA. Now, or in the future. " Which places this movie BEFORE Winter Soldier. Why else would Hydra be concerned about Strange BEFORE he becomes a Sorcerer? So, here's what I'm thinking...This movie is AFTER Avengers but BEFORE Winter Soldier. You see Avengers Tower in the background which leads you to think it's after Age of Ultron (because that's the first time we saw the completed Avengers Tower). But when we see it in Age of Ultron ISN'T the first time they've used it. So after Avengers but before Winter Soldier. And the end credits scene with a Thor...THAT part of the movie is real time.

Which means, in my personal head canon, the reference to Rhodey COULDN'T have been specifically about Rhodey. Again, none of this will matter to the average movie goer, but it jumped out to me.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

A thought: This movie has slight problems with continuity. Other than the Avengers tower in the background cityscape of NYC, and the reference to (we believe) Rhodey (they mention a 30 something soldier with paralysis)..there were no other appearances or references to the Avengers or the MCU we've seen so far. (Outside of the credits)

However, in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Sitwell mentions Stephen Strange in a list of other MCU characters. " A TV anchor in Cairo, the Under Secretary of Defense, a high school valedictorian in Iowa City, Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, anyone who's a threat to HYDRA. Now, or in the future. " Which places this movie BEFORE Winter Soldier. Why else would Hydra be concerned about Strange BEFORE he becomes a Sorcerer? So, here's what I'm thinking...This movie is AFTER Avengers but BEFORE Winter Soldier. You see Avengers Tower in the background which leads you to think it's after Age of Ultron (because that's the first time we saw the completed Avengers Tower). But when we see it in Age of Ultron ISN'T the first time they've used it. So after Avengers but before Winter Soldier. And the end credits scene with a Thor...THAT part of the movie is real time.

Which means, in my personal head canon, the reference to Rhodey COULDN'T have been specifically about Rhodey. Again, none of this will matter to the average movie goer, but it jumped out to me.

It could also be post Iron Man 2 with the pilot of the HammerTech suit that did a 180 twist at the waist.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited November 2016
    hauberk said:

It could also be post Iron Man 2 with the pilot of the HammerTech suit that did a 180 twist at the waist.
    GOOD call. Totally forgot about that. Definitely has to be post Avengers though because of the "A" Tower in the background during NYC scene shots. Which was labelled "Stark" at the start of the film. But in reference to the paralysis victim, it could still definitely be that person.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Here's the scene:

https://youtu.be/OXKNtlMMiI8

"...evaluates people's past to predict their future."

This movie can still fall right after/around Civil War & the prior reference still makes sense.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

hauberk said:

Scott Said that it wasn't a reference to either Rhodes or the Iron Man 2 armor.

I wish this forum would let me upload photos from my phone, because I have the screenshot from Scott's Reddit AMA.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Here's the scene:

https://youtu.be/OXKNtlMMiI8

"...evaluates people's past to predict their future."

This movie can still fall right after/around Civil War & the prior reference still makes sense.

M
    I can let it go obviously, but these are the types of things we as comic fans like to think about. PERSONALLY I think an algorithm predicting the future threat of Doctor Strange is bullshit. I can see predicting the potential threat of others based on genetics, personality, family history, etc. But predicting the intervention of magic? No thanks.

But it's not like I'm calling BS on the entire Marvel cinematic universe and am going to rage quit as a result. Just something I noticed.