Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1635 Talkback - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Movie Review

Looking for a little something to ease your transition from holiday hyperspace back to the workaday world? Listen to Murd, Chris, and Shane opine about this season's #1 blockbuster, the first in the new 'Star Wars Anthology' series of films. It's like a bacta-tank treatment for those post-holiday blues! (46:34)

Listen here, and may the Force be with you!

Comments

• matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Thanks! Nice to hear everyone thoughts on the movie.
  • Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited January 2017
    Short but sweet episode! My thoughts on "Rogue One" line up almost exactly with the three Geeks. I completely agree with Chris that Felicity Jones brought almost nothing to the role of Jyn Urso...I would've preferred someone with more gravitas and, frankly, a bit older. I've grown tired of the "Hunger Games" model of teen rebel leaders and think it's time that particular fad faded into the woodwork.

The biggest takeaway for me was how much the movie celebrated the more "ground level" members of the Rebellion...mere background elements or expendable drones in the previous Star Wars movies, but here living, breathing people with their own stories, dreams, and contributions. Granted, we didn't get to learn much about them, but the movie still accomplished putting a more human (for lack of a better term) face on the Rebellion rank and file. This is the story of an uneasy coalition of spies, fighters, mercenaries, traitors, zealots, killers, and….worst of all…politicians...in a cause none of them completely agree upon or understand the scope of. That's the true power of the movie, which now serves to make the original 1977 "Star Wars" all the more compelling upon re-watch.

Though I hadn't considered it before, Adam's point about the final two minutes undermining the sacrifices of the ragtag Rebel squad we'd just watched...was a great one. I agree...it would have been better if the Vader rampage and the (ill-advised) "Leia" cameo had taken place earlier. Speaking of the Leia CGI "puppet", not a great moment. Not only was she firmly in "Uncanny Valley", but the character's demeanor and dialogue was all wrong for the tone of scenes around her. Sure...I get the winky reference to "A New Hope" by her saying "Hope"....but considering everything happening around her at the time (slaughter on her ship, decimation of a huge portion of the Rebel fleet, Vader bearing down upon her), I wouldn't think she'd be grinning ear to ear and talking about "hope". Kinda corny in an otherwise very gritty, down-&-dirty movie.

Great job guys! Happy New Year!
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited January 2017

Short but sweet episode! My thoughts on "Rogue One" line up almost exactly with the three Geeks. I completely agree with Chris that Felicity Jones brought almost nothing to the role of Jyn Urso...I would've preferred someone with more gravitas and, frankly, a bit older. I've grown tired of the "Hunger Games" model of teen rebel leaders and think it's time that particular fad faded into the woodwork.

The biggest takeaway for me was how much the movie celebrated the more "ground level" members of the Rebellion...mere background elements or expendable drones in the previous Star Wars movies, but here living, breathing people with their own stories, dreams, and contributions. Granted, we didn't get to learn much about them, but the movie still accomplished putting a more human (for lack of a better term) face on the Rebellion rank and file. This is the story of an uneasy coalition of spies, fighters, mercenaries, traitors, zealots, killers, and….worst of all…politicians...in a cause none of them completely agree upon or understand the scope of. That's the true power of the movie, which now serves to make the original 1977 "Star Wars" all the more compelling upon re-watch.

Though I hadn't considered it before, Adam's point about the final two minutes undermining the sacrifices of the ragtag Rebel squad we'd just watched...was a great one. I agree...it would have been better if the Vader rampage and the (ill-advised) "Leia" cameo had taken place earlier. Speaking of the Leia CGI "puppet", not a great moment. Not only was she firmly in "Uncanny Valley", but the character's demeanor and dialogue was all wrong for the tone of scenes around her. Sure...I get the winky reference to "A New Hope" by her saying "Hope"....but considering everything happening around her at the time (slaughter on her ship, decimation of a huge portion of the Rebel fleet, Vader bearing down upon her), I wouldn't think she'd be grinning ear to ear and talking about "hope". Kinda corny in an otherwise very gritty, down-&-dirty movie.

Great job guys! Happy New Year!

I wouldn't say she was a "teen rebel leader," when she's in her 20s. Whether or not is overly used in movies is subjective (I don't watch Hunger Games movies, so I don't think it's a cliche), but it was needed for this particular role. Again, subjective if Jones was right for the part, but if the central character was exactly the same but in her 40s or 50s, I don't think the story would work. For one, would her father still be alive & actively working?

A New Hope is about 20-25 years after Revenge of the Sith. They began building the Death Star then, so it took about that time to complete. How far along was Galen brought into the project? How long after did he retire? We know Jyn hadn't seen her father in 15 years. Conservatively, she was 10 when he was taken from the farm.

Would a seasoned central character still be indifferent with the war?

M
    I'm still uncertain if I like it or thought it was okay, but I'll somewhat defend the order of events for the ending. I think it had to end with Leia carrying the baton instead of Cassian & Jyn's deaths because they served their purpose to move the Star Wars story forward. Reversing it would feel like a quick backtrack sidebar.

Rogue One are unsung heroes of the war. They are essentially footnotes that might've never gotten their stories told. Sure the movie was their story, but the epic isn't.

I didn't take Leia's "hope" as a nod to where the story continues, but rather the sentiment of what the Rebellion was about. "Hope" will represent different things to the Rebellion & its individual fighters. Here it's the plans, later Obi-Wan, then destroying the Death Star, then Luke. "Hope" can be something, someone, or some notion held onto to justify the struggles. The "light at the end of the tunnel" so to speak.

Looking ahead, do we know when Han quit the Empire? We we see his spinoff interject in some way with Rogue One? Perhaps he was the pilot who brought Krennic to "collect" Galen at the movie's beginning.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Side bar: So now Woody Harrelson is being considered for the role of the older mentor to Han in the young Han Solo movie.

Ugh.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

I'm still uncertain if I like it or thought it was okay, but I'll somewhat defend the order of events for the ending. I think it had to end with Leia carrying the baton instead of Cassian & Jyn's deaths because they served their purpose to move the Star Wars story forward. Reversing it would feel like a quick backtrack sidebar.

Rogue One are unsung heroes of the war. They are essentially footnotes that might've never gotten their stories told. Sure the movie was their story, but the epic isn't.

I didn't take Leia's "hope" as a nod to where the story continues, but rather the sentiment of what the Rebellion was about. "Hope" will represent different things to the Rebellion & its individual fighters. Here it's the plans, later Obi-Wan, then destroying the Death Star, then Luke. "Hope" can be something, someone, or some notion held onto to justify the struggles. The "light at the end of the tunnel" so to speak.

Looking ahead, do we know when Han quit the Empire? We we see his spinoff interject in some way with Rogue One? Perhaps he was the pilot who brought Krennic to "collect" Galen at the movie's beginning.

Han being in the Empire now falls into the "Legends" (non canon) category.
  • Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited January 2017
    Matt said:

I didn't take Leia's "hope" as a nod to where the story continues, but rather the sentiment of what the Rebellion was about. "Hope" will represent different things to the Rebellion & its individual fighters.

Whatever it ultimately "meant" to anyone, it was still a weird, awkward moment in time to say it. When Vader's breathing down your neck, it seems an odd time to be contemplating the essence of rebellion.

As for the logistics of Jyn's age...yes...I know she wasn't literally a teenager...but my larger point being after last year's Rey-centric Force Awakens, yet another plucky young girl seemed a bit calculated in light of all the recent film franchises starring Plunky Teens & Twenty-Somethings leading rebellions, bringing down evil dystopias, etc. Just because you don't watch them (or read the popular YA novels they're based upon) doesn't mean they're not a thing.

Matt said:

I didn't take Leia's "hope" as a nod to where the story continues, but rather the sentiment of what the Rebellion was about. "Hope" will represent different things to the Rebellion & its individual fighters.

Whatever it ultimately "meant" to anyone, it was still a weird, awkward moment in time to say it. When Vader's breathing down your neck, it seems an odd time to be contemplating the essence of rebellion.

As for the logistics of Jyn's age...yes...I know she wasn't literally a teenager...but my larger point being after last year's Rey-centric Force Awakens, yet another plucky young girl seemed a bit calculated in light of all the recent film franchises starring Plunky Teens & Twenty-Somethings leading rebellions, bringing down evil dystopias, etc. Just because you don't watch them (or the popular YA novels they're based upon) doesn't mean they're not a thing.
    Let me rephrase; I don't see them as a cliche, but I understand they are used.

Star Wars-wise, I just expect it because that's what they gave us with Luke & Anakin.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2017

Matt said:

Oh come on. It's one word! Not a 20 line soliloquy. It is not like she first ordered everyone to stop everything so she could say it. No one was waiting for her to say "engage" or something. The people around her were handling the work of running away.

I mean, you could argue that, when troopers are shooting at you, and you have a deep chasm to swing across, it is an odd time to kiss someone on the cheek and say, "For luck", you know what I mean? Sometimes a movie is just going to be a movie. And be cinematic rather than pragmatic. Sometimes, in situations where you or I in the real world would just grunt or run for our damn lines, people are going to say things that writers were proud of right before the music swells. Because, movies.
  • True, BUT WHEN THE ENTIRE PRECEDING MOVIE WAS SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY, you should probably stick with THAT vibe rather than importing a vibe from the very, very different main saga films.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Though I have to agree about the weakness in the lead actress, overall I think she did a decent job and the plot was great. I thought there was some humor from the robot(s), but the rest of the movie was tense. I don't think switching scenes around the end would've worked...I was quite satisfied with the way the movie ended and Leia's "hope" at the end. It's a great lead in to Episode IV which made me want to watch IV as soon as I got home.