Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Board Game Thread

I'm starting this off with five of my current favorite games:

Quarriors
Last Night on Earth
Star Trek: Fleet Captains
Wiz War
Ticket to Ride (iOS)

I'm looking forward to trying Alien Frontier and Mage Knight at some point.

Comments

• DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited March 2012
    Risk is the end-all, be-all for me.

Especially the 2003 version.
  • DryBonesDryBones Posts: 26
    @DoctorDoom Risk Legacy is supposed to awesome if your group can commit to 15 games.
  • ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Descent
    Claustrophobia
    Munchkin
    Dungeon Run
    Forbidden Island (cool co-op game)
    Settlers of Catan
    @DoctorDoom Risk Legacy is supposed to awesome if your group can commit to 15 games.
    Thanks for telling me about this!
  • kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I finally got a copy of Subbuteo after wanting one for years. Now to just find someone to play with!
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    MWHAHAHAHA!
    Infernal Contraption...well, no that's a stand alone card game.
    Pimp: The Backhanding....another stand alone card game.
    Grind
    Anima Tactics

I've been wanting to try Tannhauser, Descent, the D & D board games and many more that I've ran across at GenCon or heard reviews on.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    My 4 year old cousin picked up a fun game at Coast con . Le Boomb,you can tell it is mainly made as a drinking game. But it is simple enough he can play it and have fun. Plus the dealer cut him a great deal on it. Instead of the $5 bucks it was suppose to be he sold it to him for 3 bucks and didn't charge him any tax.
  • ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I've been wanting to try Tannhauser, Descent, the D & D board games and many more that I've ran across at GenCon or heard reviews on.
    Descent is great if you have a good group, I really enjoy that game. I was going to mention the new D&D board games but didn't because I already had a pretty big list but you won't be disappointed. Find one set in something you dig and you won't be disappointed. Really great games and blew away my expectations.

@dubbat138 check out that Forbidden Island I mentioned, it is co-op so no competition and really a fun game that can scale to a range of difficulty levels but is very simple. I checked out Le Boomb a while back and I didn't get it at all (never thought of the drinking game aspect which is perfect!).
    Descent is great if you have a good group, I really enjoy that game. I was going to mention the new D&D board games but didn't because I already had a pretty big list but you won't be disappointed. Find one set in something you dig and you won't be disappointed. Really great games and blew away my expectations.

@dubbat138 check out that Forbidden Island I mentioned, it is co-op so no competition and really a fun game that can scale to a range of difficulty levels but is very simple. I checked out Le Boomb a while back and I didn't get it at all (never thought of the drinking game aspect which is perfect!).
    Yeah Le Boomb is something I would have never picked up. But Dylan is 4 and something about it caught his eye and he had to have it. I have heard about Forbidden Island,but sadly I have no one at all in this area to play board games with.

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I was going to mention the new D&D board games but didn't because I already had a pretty big list but you won't be disappointed. Find one set in something you dig and you won't be disappointed. Really great games and blew away my expectations.
    FYI: The forthcoming new D&D miniatures game will use the same interlocking tiles as the board games.
  • Has anyone played the Battlestar Galactica board game? What was it like?
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Has anyone played the Battlestar Galactica board game? What was it like?
    I have. It's really cool, with a dramatic change of game dynamics about halfway through. It starts as a cooperative game, and then one player discovers they're a Cylon and starts playing against the rest, ideally secretly for a while.
  • brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    My current favorite is definitely Hansa Tuetonica. If you haven't played it you should give it a try. Pretty simple in execution, but there are many, many paths to victory. Never the same game twice.

I'm also a big fan of Wars of the Roses.

And Notre Dame often goes under people's radar, but deserves your attention.

Bry
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Here is a new show on youtube starring Will Wheaton:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9QtdiRJYro
    @jaydee74 I can't wait until it starts.

I'd also recommend The Dice Tower and the Plaid Hat Games Podcast.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I wish I had friends who liked these games who lived closer to me.
    Has anyone played the Battlestar Galactica board game? What was it like?
    I have. It's really cool, with a dramatic change of game dynamics about halfway through. It starts as a cooperative game, and then one player discovers they're a Cylon and starts playing against the rest, ideally secretly for a while.
    I think I need to get this.

• Has anyone played the Battlestar Galactica board game? What was it like?
    I think I need to get this.

I have it and the expansions as well but I just don't have anyone to play with. It is sitting on my shelf at the moment. There is something just wrong with that.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    If anybody gets the chance to play a game called Kill Doctor Lucky take it. Of you remember Clue as a kid this is it's opposite. Instead of trying to figure out who committed the crime you are trying to chase Dr. Lucky down and murder the bastard when no one is looking. The family board game of murder in the dark.
  • HellsfireHellsfire Posts: 89
    edited June 2012
    I love the Star Trek Deck Building game. I think it's the best deck building game as it doesn't have the piles or one action, one buy that Dominion and it's clones do. It's better if your'e a Trekkie, but you don't have to be. I love the different scenarios as they all feel different, and you can even play co-op and go against the Borg. Nothing more satisfying than rescuing Locutus or killing the Borg Queen.

I also enjoy Locke & Key. It's simple, cheap, short, has artwork from the comic, and a lot of fun. In fact, the game got me to buy the comic and now I love the comic. It's also really easy to teach non-gamers.

EDIT: I just realized that none of these are actual board games so I hope they qualify.
    If anybody gets the chance to play a game called Kill Doctor Lucky take it. Of you remember Clue as a kid this is it's opposite. Instead of trying to figure out who committed the crime you are trying to chase Dr. Lucky down and murder the bastard when no one is looking. The family board game of murder in the dark.
    I love that game. Need to find another copy one day.

• DavidAkersDavidAkers Posts: 44
    Check out this page at cheapass.com. They've released a free, print yourself version of the game. Poke around because they've released a number of their other games for free too. I personally really like Deadwood also.
    Check out this page at cheapass.com. They've released a free, print yourself version of the game. Poke around because they've released a number of their other games for free too. I personally really like Deadwood also.
    Thank you so much. I used to play that game all the time with my oldest son.
  • Here are some of my favs,

Dominion
    (with the 8 plus expansions it offers more then a thousand ways to play)
    Star Trek Deck Building Game
    ( currently has Next Generation plus expansion Next Phase, about to release the Original Series)
    Pandemic
    (With expansion is awesome, especially for those who like to go away from the norm and cooperate)
    Empire Builder
    (Have to love trains because this can take some time)
    Settlers of Catan
    (The game that got me into the boardgame scene, not recommended for impatient people, or sore losers. Also has many cool expansions.)
    Tsuru
    (Fast, fun, simple, and up to 8 players)

As you can tell i am a board game geek, and am always wiling to try different games so I would love some recommendations.
  • brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    Here's my board game geek profile if you want to see a list of the games I own.

http://boardgamegeek.com/user/brydeemer

Bry
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Here's my board game geek profile if you want to see a list of the games I own.

http://boardgamegeek.com/user/brydeemer

Bry
    Awesome. Loving your top10 - will have a closer look at the other ones on your profile. That will cost me.......
    EDIT: I just realized that none of these are actual board games so I hope they qualify.
    I think board games and table top games are pretty much interchangable. I'd like to try that Star Trek one sometime.

I've being following a kickstarter.com campaign for Sedition Wars: Battle for Alibaster lately. It looks cool but I don't know if I'm ready to bite yet.

Here's my BBG profile: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Dry+Bones
  • billydx24billydx24 Posts: 14
    I finally got a copy of Subbuteo after wanting one for years. Now to just find someone to play with!
    So jealous. I've always wanted so play that. I've never even seen it in person
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Conquest of the Empire. there is no other
  • HellsfireHellsfire Posts: 89
    I recently picked up another deck building game, Eaten by Zombies! I played it last year when I saw an old friend who had it. I didn't much care for it, probably because I died easily at first. It may have also been my first deck building game and I didn't quite get it. I picked it up and I remembered starting to like it once I got the hang of it.

It's good, little game. It's cheap and has the best card storage box I've ever seen. While it may look like Dominion with the piles, it doesn't play like a Dominion clone. Probably has to do with the fact that when you buy cards, they go to your hand.

People should give it a try if you want a DBG that's different and cheap. Just don't have the Dominion mindset and you should be set.