Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1636 Talkback - Marvel Cosmic Triple Action w/Silver Surfer, Capt. Mar-Vell, & Adam Warlock

Face front, ye star-sailors and psychonauts! Make room in your minds and iPods for a three-hour tour through the cosmic corner of the Marvel Universe, as our spirit-guide Chris Eberle introduces us at length to three of Marvel's most sensationally sidereal spacefaring stalwarts: Adam Warlock, Captain Mar-Vell, and the Silver Surfer! Learn the fundamental facts about these sentinels of the spaceways: their creative provenance, their cosmic powers, their awe-inspiring origins, and the most significant chapters in their star-spanning sagas. Download now and embrace infinity!!! (3:32:24)

Listen here.

Comments

• Okay, time for one of my famous preemptive self-corrections, RE: our discussion of Mephisto. "Canker" was indeed one of John Donne's favorite words, but Donne did NOT, as I stupidly went on to imply, use it in Paradise Lost... mostly because Donne didn't write Paradise Lost. That honor belongs, of course, to John Milton. My apologies for this shameful slip-up, everyone! Chalk it up to the lateness of the hour, my overeagerness to contribute, and the fact that I studied Donne and Milton back-to-back in the same lit class in college.

Right then, moving on...
  • Loving this Marvel Triple Action idea! And a 3.5 hour bowl of CGS awesome sauce? Whoa, Nellie!

Just finished the Silver Surfer portion of our program and will be moving onto Captain Mar-Vell later today. The "Silver Surfer: Requiem" story line by Stryzinski, btw, was published under the "Marvel Knights" banner, so I believe all of those fall out of continuity.

Also, small (selfish) favor to ask ... as I only listen to he podcasts and don't watch them, on ones like this, is there any chance of including the indicated artwork that the Geeks refer to? Chris references quite a few pieces of Surfer artwork that I'd be interested in seeing.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

is there any chance of including the indicated artwork that the Geeks refer to? Chris references quite a few pieces of Surfer artwork that I'd be interested in seeing.

Ditto.

• aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    edited January 2017
    BIRD IN SPAAAAAAAAACCCCEimage

A quick aside. Brancusi is the author of my most favorite quote, " Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."
    Still isn't showing up in my podcast feed, again.
  • Don't know why but this one wasn't showing up in my iTunes feed.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    I'm pretty sure Fireside only did one printing of the Silver Surfer graphic novel. I got mine in 1984, 1985... somewhere in there, when a local bookstore was going out of business (it was on sale for $2!), and there is no indication inside that it is anything other than a first printing (though it doesn’t say “first printing,” it still has the original $4.95 price, and it has only the 1978 copyright date). Marvel did a reprint back around 1997, I think.

I liked Silver Surfer: Parable—picked it up as it came out (though it wasn't titled “Parable” at the time). I haven't read it in a loooong time, so I don't know how well it holds up, but at the time I thought it was very similar to the Kirby/Lee graphic novel—beautiful to look at, with an “I’ve read this before” quality to the actual story. Worth picking up just for the artwork though.

Re: the Buscema vs. Kirby question, both did outstanding jobs with the character. Silver Surfer contains arguably Buscema’s best superhero work, which is saying something. The difference for me would be that I would rather read a Silver Surfer comic written by Kirby than the one written by Lee. I like melodrama as much as the next guy, but Lee’s Surfer is just too emo for me to take for long periods of time. Lee wrote some nice moments with the character, but Kirby likely would have had Surfer roaming the galaxy, encountering new alien races with every issue. It could have been the ideal vehicle for his creativity.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    3 1/2 hours of cosmic goodness!
    As one of the forum members that have been clamoring for a "Marvel Cosmic Spotlight" for well over 3 years, I'm begging you, can @Pants or @Adam_Murdough or @i_am_scifi look into why it isn't appearing in some of our podcast feeds?

I'm sure it will show up eventually. Heck, I've waited this long :) I'm sure it's great.

• Put me in the camp of not "showing up in my iTunes feed". Do not see it in the iTunes store either.
    I use an Android podcast app and it is there for me.
  • PantsPants Posts: 567
    @brydeemer is looking into the iTunes problem.
  • Not only did it show up in my Android podcast app ... but I finished it this afternoon. :-)
  • Not seeing it in my feed, too (iPhone)
  • Just so you know, it shows up fine in Overcast...

A truly excellent episode, gentlemen. I only recently read the whole of Thomas and Starlin's Warlock runs for the first time, and was particularly smitten with the latter, so this episode was a real treat. Mar-Vell is something of a blind spot for me too, so I greatly appreciated the primer, and really must explore some of his comics.

Two things to address:

One, I'm shocked that Adam's not that familiar with John Buscema! Outside of Silver Surfer, I think of him as perhaps the definitive Avengers artist. Well, him and Perez. Buscema is also one of those artists whose touch is particularly evident in specific body parts. There are Liefeld tiny feet, Kirby square fingers and Buscema high cheekbones.

Second, much as I'd like to see Adam Warlock in upcoming MCU movies, I can't help but think that the cinematic Vision is to some extent fulfilling the Warlock role – an artificial man, conceived in a cocoon, an infinity gem upon his brow, questing to discover the nature of humanity. It'd be nice to be proven wrong, though.
  • Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited January 2017

Second, much as I'd like to see Adam Warlock in upcoming MCU movies, I can't help but think that the cinematic Vision is to some extent fulfilling the Warlock role – an artificial man, conceived in a cocoon, an infinity gem upon his brow, questing to discover the nature of humanity. It'd be nice to be proven wrong, though.

I think you've nailed it, KentShakespeare.

I'm about half way through the episode and am really enjoying the overview of these three pillars of the Marvel Cosmic Universe.

Thoughts so far:

I always preferred the earliest version of the Silver Surfer in the FF, especially the eerie presence Kirby imbued him with. Allred's Surfer does a good job of recapturing a bit of that visual element, despite the lighter tone of the overall series. I never had much use or affection for Stan Lee's "Pontificating Whiner" take on the Surfer, although John Buscema's artwork on the Surfer's solo title is probably the very best of his long and varied career (I'm still a bit stunned Murd wasn't familiar with his work).

I'm much more of a Captain Marvel fan...or, more accurately, the Starlin-era Cap...whose abdominal muscles have yet to be surpassed ;-) . Seriously, though, Starlin's mind-warping visuals, paired with his dizzying cosmic concepts, made the Captain Marvel one of the truly trippiest experiences of Bronze Age Marvel.

Still need to listen to the Warlock portion...but a question before I sign off: What is that plastic crinkling sound I'm hearing in the middle portion of the episode?

PS: Let's not forget Moondragon's original (villainous) name was "Madame MacEvil"!
    My iPhone feed just refresed and it has downloaded successfully. Thanks @brydeemer for tackling whatever technical issue was preventing it.

I will be listening to this later tonight!
  • My apologies to our listeners for the plastic crinkling sound Mark describes. I had to switch microphones after the Silver Surfer segment, and, as I was engrossed in the discussion, I didn't realize the mike wasn't adequately secured to my shirt.
  • My apologies to our listeners for the plastic crinkling sound Mark describes. I had to switch microphones after the Silver Surfer segment, and, as I was engrossed in the discussion, I didn't realize the mike wasn't adequately secured to my shirt.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought it could have been....but rest assured, Chris...the sheer emotional and intellectual POWER of the cosmic knowledge you guys imparted easily overcame the minor Earthly distraction of the crinkling plastic!
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552

My apologies to our listeners for the plastic crinkling sound Mark describes. I had to switch microphones after the Silver Surfer segment, and, as I was engrossed in the discussion, I didn't realize the mike wasn't adequately secured to my shirt.

I thought you all were passing around a bag of chips.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Late to the party but my feed is back up. This will be my driving around and listening around the house enjoyment.
    edited January 2017
    Finally got a chance to listen last night at work.

First, THANK YOU!!! A few of us have been calling for a spotlight of some sort on Marvel cosmic and I think you guys did a great job by covering three of the heaviest cosmic hitters.

As a youngster I was pretty much exposed to mainstream Marvel and DC comics. I had no idea what else was out there until, much like @Adam_Murdough , I was shown the Marvel trading cards. In fact a friend of mine gave me a large three ring binder full of them. When I saw Warlock, Captain Marvel, and Surfer..along with characters like Ego the Living Planet, Eon, Quasar, etc... my mind was blown. I have been a cosmic fan ever since.

Quick addition: Phyla-Vell was a character introduced towards the end of Peter David's Captain Marvel run. She was Genis-Vell's sister and also ended up going by the name Captain Marvel for a short time. She is probably more known for being the new Quasar post Annihilation.

Murd mentioned the podcast but I'd like to add that it's the forum's own @bats00 who is the host of the Resurrections- An Adam Warlock and Thanos Podcast ... He goes over Warlock's history issue by issue and I think it's worth a listen for anyone interested in the character.

edited January 2017
    One more:

It was mentioned that Marvel didn't do much good with the Silver Surfer in the 2000's and I can agree with that to an extent. However I think he was well used during Annihilation and the Greg Pak written Silver Surfer: Devolution mini series was really good.

Personally, I don't really care for Slott's take on the character..call me crazy but I'd rather just read a Doctor Who book.
  • Wahoo! My favorite episodes of CGS are Marvel Spotlights! Thanks gang!
  • Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited January 2017
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Personally, I don't really care for Slott's take on the character..call me crazy but I'd rather just read a Doctor Who book.

Generally, I'm enjoying the run...but at the same time I can see why it would turn some off. In fact, even as a fan, there are times I find the "adorkable" elements feeling forced or just kinda lazy. Just as a little Doctor Who can go a long way, the Slott/Allred Surfer stories are also best consumed in small doses...and probably not in big TPB chunks (as I've been doing all along).

All that said, I think it's time for the Slott Surfer series to take it to another level beyond the Groovy-Cat-Hipster-Teletubby-Jazz-Club-Through-the-Looking-Glass-Wango-Tango stuff we've been getting for the last several years.
  • Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Gentlemen, bravo. That was a near-Herculean episode that you handled magnificently. You took characters who are not easily encapsulated (especially Adam Warlock) and gave a thoughtful and insightful look at them all.

Like many others, I'm a HUGE fan of Marvel's cosmic arena, and have really been looking forward to a discussion from you all on the subject.

Truly, this should go down in CGS history as one of the all-time greats.

I tip my hat to you, sirs.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Comixology is having a Dan Slott sale this weekend till 1/15 so if folks want to check out his Surfer run for 99 cents an issue and $4.99 for the trades you can do so and get his Superior Spider-man (so good) and Amazing Spider-man issues. Great stuff!!! That's the 2014-2015 Surfer and the 2016 issues too!
  • As much as I love the recent Spotlights, I thought I'd run a friendly request up the flagpole to select a DC character for the next Spotlight episode? Sure, you did the great Shazam episodes early last year, but considering it focused on the Golden Age Captain Marvel, it was technically a Fawcett character and not DC. I love Marvel and DC equally, so I don't have a "dog in the fight", so to speak....but that said, I would love to see a DC character get some Spotlight love!

I should say I really appreciate all the time you guys put into the Spotlight episodes. Whether the next few are more Marvel characters, DC characters, or from another publisher altogether, I look forward to them all. Thanks.

As much as I love the recent Spotlights, I thought I'd run a friendly request up the flagpole to select a DC character for the next Spotlight episode? Sure, you did the great Shazam episodes early last year, but considering it focused on the Golden Age Captain Marvel, it was technically a Fawcett character and not DC. I love Marvel and DC equally, so I don't have a "dog in the fight", so to speak....but that said, I would love to see a DC character get some Spotlight love!

I should say I really appreciate all the time you guys put into the Spotlight episodes. Whether the next few are more Marvel characters, DC characters, or from another publisher altogether, I look forward to them all. Thanks.

There have been several DC legacy characters with their own Spotlight featured in older episodes of Comic Geek Speak. Not all of them, mind you, but several can be found on the main website last I checked.

The search function for the episodes on the CGS website isn't working, but you can page through them here though if you want ...

Google search of "Spotlight" episodes for CGS

FYI: Some of them, like Superman and Batman, have multiple volumes.

I agree there are some publishers other than Marvel or DC that should get the Spotlight treatment. I don't think we ever hear about their plans though because the CGS crew likes surprises. In fact, I think here used to be a thread on the board where people would suggest their requests for this. Maybe we could resource that?

For the record, I'm one of the guys who has been wanting the Marvel Cosmic Spotlight treatment for years, and cannot say how delighted I am that it's now done. I still haven't had time to listen yet...