Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1636 Talkback - Marvel Cosmic Triple Action w/Silver Surfer, Capt. Mar-Vell, & Adam Warlock

2»

Comments

• Yeah, I'm aware of (and enjoyed) the older DC-centric Spotlights, but just looking forward to some new ones.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    What are some of your suggestions/requests, Mark?
  • Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited January 2017
    Nothing specific...I'd be happy with whatever DC character the gang chooses....although part of me would love to revisit the Bronze Age Superman, this time including geeks who (A) Are familiar with that era's Superman comics and (B) have some fondness for that era's Superman. The original Bronze Age Superman spotlight episode had a really strong negative vibe. I'm not looking for 100% worship of that era (I can readily list its flaws as well) but SOME fondness toward that important era would have provided a bit more balance in my opinion.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

There have been quite a few additional DC anniversary's that have gotten blown past. I thought that there was a thread with Spotlight requests. As I recall, Green Lantern was on that list, but my search-fu is failing me.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    hauberk said:

There have been quite a few additional DC anniversary's that have gotten blown past. I thought that there was a thread with Spotlight requests. As I recall, Green Lantern was on that list, but my search-fu is failing me.

Is this the one you mean?
  • I would love to see the Wonder Woman spotlight finished. She was just kind of left hanging years ago.

hauberk said:

That might be it. I thought that there was one where specific anniversaries coming up in 2015/2016 were identified. I'm fairly sure that my entries were probably DC-centric, but I don't think that it was specific to DC.
    hauberk said:

hauberk said:

That might be it. I thought that there was one where specific anniversaries coming up in 2015/2016 were identified. I'm fairly sure that my entries were probably DC-centric, but I don't think that it was specific to DC.
    You actually identified one or two anniversaries in that thread @hauberk - sorry about your flu.
    This Fireside edition of 'The Ultimate Cosmic Experience' is one of the best all-time Silver Surfer stories I've read (and still own). As a big fan of the 'Sentinel of the Spaceways' myself, this episode has been a real treat for me.

Interesting thing about this Silver Surfer "Graphic Novel" which featured 114 pages of all-new material by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby is that Kirby actually did a cover for it, pictured above left, but Marvel decided to use Earl Norem's painted reinterpretation of the scene, as seen below right.

imageimage

Here are some of Earl Norem's other paintings for Marvel.

My first exposure to the great Ron Lim was also with volume 3 of the Silver Surfer, of which I have around 130 issues of. @wildpigcomics is accurate in that most of the issues are still quite cheap. I'm still listening to the full episode, but wanted to share since I hadn't been watching the Youtube version of this podcast and missing the fantastic art that I'm sure the geeks are showcasing. I'm sure that video will show up here eventually.

• These 3-hour episodes are the reason CGS should upload to YouTube more often. That way I can listen to them at +50% speed and get them done in 2 hours. You'd also get a lot more exposure. I think the CGS YouTube channel has a low subscriber count because you don't upload that much stuff there. Size isn't an issue. The Weekly Pull collective regularly have videos well over an hour. And I'm used to listening to the Joe Rogan podcast.

hauberk said:

hauberk said:

You actually identified one or two anniversaries in that thread @hauberk - sorry about your flu.
    Maybe that's the only one. I have this vague recollection of actually pulling down a list of other characters that had hit milestone anniversaries.

mea culpa.

Also, little did you realize that I actually just got over the the worst stomach affliction that I have experienced memory. Spent the better part of the week curled up in a ball.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited January 2017
    hauberk said:

This is cool but what about the anniversary spotlights? This is the 75th anniversary of Doctor Fate, Catwoman, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, the Joker, the JSA and the Spectre.

It's also the 50th anniversary for Metamorpho, Scorpion, Count Nefaria, Ka-Zara, Jarvis, Stilt Man(!), Teen Titans, Starfinger, the Warriors Three, SHIELD and HYDRA, Power Man, Krona, Egg Fu(!), Beast Boy, Ultra the Multi Alien (!), and the Inhumans among others.

It was in the thread for the Dr. Strange Spotlight (episode 1574).

hauberk said:

This is cool but what about the anniversary spotlights? This is the 75th anniversary of Doctor Fate, Catwoman, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, the Joker, the JSA and the Spectre.

It's also the 50th anniversary for Metamorpho, Scorpion, Count Nefaria, Ka-Zara, Jarvis, Stilt Man(!), Teen Titans, Starfinger, the Warriors Three, SHIELD and HYDRA, Power Man, Krona, Egg Fu(!), Beast Boy, Ultra the Multi Alien (!), and the Inhumans among others.

Good find.
    hauberk said:

Also, little did you realize that I actually just got over the the worst stomach affliction that I have experienced memory. Spent the better part of the week curled up in a ball.

I actually misread your earlier post here:
    hauberk said:

As I recall, Green Lantern was on that list, but my search-fu is failing me.

The word "search-fu" somehow got processed in my mind as you having the flu. I was expressing my sympathies. Glad you've recovered.

hauberk said:

Your skills are remarkable good ser!

hauberk said:

I actually misread your earlier post here:
    hauberk said:

As I recall, Green Lantern was on that list, but my search-fu is failing me.

The word "search-fu" somehow got processed in my mind as you having the flu. I was expressing my sympathies. Glad you've recovered.
    Thanks. It was rough. The only bright spot was having a new Wild Cards book to see me through the week.
    edited January 2017
    Finally reached the end of this long-awaited Spotlight. Kudos to the CGS crew's deep dive into Marvel Cosmic, albeit more of a "toe-dipping" given the sheer breadth of stories and characters that make up this complex realm of the Marvel universe. @Adam_Murdough, @ShaneKelly, & @wildpigcomics took the right approach by featuring the main heroes who were both the first icons of this segment of Marvel Cosmic, but also had their own solo series. It seems like Jim Starlin pulled so many threads together to create something deeper than what existed before.

This discussion properly included Galactus, the Watcher, Mentor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Living Tribunal, Eternity, Death, and, of course, Thanos. And yet, so much remained unmentioned. I eventually began to feel Adam's weariness of the discussion -- and I listened in portions! It was a massive undertaking to say the least and a long-time coming. This was educational and entertaining - pure comics infotainment.

I concur with some of the other forum members here and would welcome other publishers and their character Spotlights when you guys start plotting future episodes, such as Doc Savage, John Carter, Archie, Conan, Spawn, Red Sonja, The Shadow, and so on. But I'd still enjoy future Marvel spotlights and really liked the triple action format of this one. I'm compelled to suggest a Dracula, Werewolf by Night, Morbius & Ghost Rider episode. And I wonder, has there ever been a Hulk? Or Sub-Mariner? Wolverine? I may have missed those. How about a women of Marvel? She-Hulk? Carol Danvers? I could go on, and on...

Once again, many thanks gentlemen. Yeoman's work indeed.
  • Thanks to all for the kind words regarding our latest Spotlight. Bralinator, Episode 1435 features a Spotlight on the Marvel Monsters. I'm in the midst of planning future Spotlights, including DC content. Stay tuned!
  • Also, our friend and colleague Matt's podcast "Comics With or Without Pulp" features episodes on the Shadow, Doc Savage, and John Carter.

Thanks to all for the kind words regarding our latest Spotlight. Bralinator, Episode 1435 features a Spotlight on the Marvel Monsters. I'm in the midst of planning future Spotlights, including DC content. Stay tuned!

Ah yes, I had forgotten about that. Looking forward to future Spotlights!

Also, our friend and colleague Matt's podcast "Comics With or Without Pulp" features episodes on the Shadow, Doc Savage, and John Carter.

Haven't heard a Comics With or Without Pulp in quite a while... @Matt? I need to revisit those.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Thanks to all for the kind words regarding our latest Spotlight. Bralinator, Episode 1435 features a Spotlight on the Marvel Monsters. I'm in the midst of planning future Spotlights, including DC content. Stay tuned!

Ah yes, I had forgotten about that. Looking forward to future Spotlights!

Also, our friend and colleague Matt's podcast "Comics With or Without Pulp" features episodes on the Shadow, Doc Savage, and John Carter.

Haven't heard a Comics With or Without Pulp in quite a while... @Matt? I need to revisit those.
    No time. I've got 1 90% researched that I started 2-3 years ago. I'm in the beginning stages of research on another 5 characters. Between work & the minions (plus finishing out our basement) I've had minimal time to record one. Maybe later this year...MAYBE.

Until then, please enjoy the ones recorded. You'll have to put up with my drivel, but my cohosts bring it.

M
  • johnnyhateschachijohnnyhateschachi Posts: 37
    edited January 2017

My apologies to our listeners for the plastic crinkling sound Mark describes. I had to switch microphones after the Silver Surfer segment, and, as I was engrossed in the discussion, I didn't realize the mike wasn't adequately secured to my shirt.

Johnny hates Chachi...and that crinkling sound! Good fun all around, as always. I've never been much of a Marvel Cosmic guy but based on your collective passions for the material, I'm gonna give it a go.
  • Interesting and informative. Good work by all.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited February 2017
    As a kid of the 60's I was so interested in this cosmic stuff, so I'm looking forward to listening to this episode. I had some Silver Surfer appearances (FF 55, FF 72, Annual 5) but I didn't get in on the Surfer's solo series until #8 or so. Yeah, I was wondering what was going on with that Silver Surfer #18. As a kid, I was like "who is this enraged character?" //Ahhh, Moebius! Always reminds of the Crimson Tide movie where the two enlisted guys on the American sub are fighting and when Denzel Washington asked them what they're fighting about we find out that it was about whose Silver Surfer was better: Kirby or Moebius? // The Slott/Allred series? Well, it's a nice read, but not enough happens to keep me buying it. // Captain Marvel: I missed the Marvel Superheroes 1st appearance, but started picking up the solo series, probably because by the time I got to the liquor store on Friday nights there were slim pickings (LOTS of C.M. issues still on the stands, even sometimes issues from the previous months which I guess stands as evidence that the title was not selling). I had only sporadic Starlin issues (a sign that the title was selling better?), but I enjoyed them. // Ah, I hear the crinkling/crackling sound now: so, why did you have to switch microphones? Didn't really bother me that much. BUT I am missing the video. It's not on YouTube? Maybe later...// Well, I think I've heard most of the Adam Warlock stuff before. Maybe you guys don't have to do more than two characters at a time. You seemed to run out of gas at the end...
  • Thanks for the explanation regarding the lack of video for this Spotlight, Pants. Count me among the many who hope that the CGSers find a way to solve the glitch.