Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The CGS "Best of 2016" Awards - E-mail Nominations by Feb. 12!

Another year in comics has come and gone, and once again the CGS Geeks are asking YOU, podcast listeners and forum members, to help them pay homage to those comics, characters, and creators that helped make 2016 great!

If you'd like to make your voice heard in our podcast's annual "Best of" honors, here's a list of the categories in which we're seeking listener nominees:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2016)
BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2016)
BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2016)
BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2016)
BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT
BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT
BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series)
BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT
BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2016)
BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION)
BEST WRITER
BEST ARTIST
BEST WRITER/ARTIST
BEST COLOR ARTIST
BEST LETTERER
BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2016

To participate, submit your ballot via e-mail to bestof@comicgeekspeak.com by 11:59 pm (EST), Sunday, Feb. 12, 2017. Please make a nomination in AT LEAST EIGHT of the above-listed categories, and select only ONE nominee per category!

If you'd like to share your list of nominees publicly, please feel free to do it here in this thread, but be aware that posting such lists here DOES NOT COUNT as voting; you must submit your ballot via e-mail for it to be counted as part of the official listeners' nomination process!

Thanks in advance for your input, everyone! If you have any questions, send me a PM or just ask 'em here.

Comments

• matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Nice that this year I actually got a bit more reading done to make have a few more nominees.
  • Looking forward to this - soooooo many quality titles/characters/creators to choose from!
  • jmoneyjmoney Posts: 31
    Here's what I'm going with so far.

Batwoman, Clayface, Spoiler, Tim Drake, Batgirl: Detective Comics
    Steve Rogers Captain America-Hail Hydra
    Scarlet Witch
    Civil War II: Gods of War
    DC Rebirth
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT
    Steve Rogers Captain America #1 Hail Hydra
    Magic under attack in Doctor Strange
    Hercules Marvel Comics
    Astro City
    March Book 3
    BEST WRITER
    Dan Slott
    BEST ARTIST
    Mike Alred
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST

BEST COLOR ARTIST
    Kevin Senft ‘Blond’-Green Lanterns
    BEST LETTERER
    Joe Sabino-Mighty Thor
    Simon Oliver-The Hellblazer
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2017
    BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2016) - The "Black Hammer" squad
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2016) - Steve Rogers, agent of Hydra
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2016) - "The Black Monday Murders"
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2016) - "The Vision"
    BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT - DC Rebirth #1
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT - Batman finds The Comedian's "smiley face" button in DC Rebirth.
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series) - Avengers Standoff at Pleasant Hill
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT - "Black Hammer"
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2016) - "Lazarus"
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION) - N/A
    BEST WRITER - Nick Spencer
    BEST ARTIST - Tomm Coker, "The Black Monday Murders"
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST - Walt Simonson, "Ragnarok"
    BEST COLOR ARTIST - Michael Garland, "The Black Monday Murders"
    BEST LETTERER - Rus Wooton "The Black Monday Murders"
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2016 - Julie & Shawna Benson
  • BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT - Batman finds The Comedian's "smiley face" button.

This was the category I went back and forth the most on. This moment just edged out Barry Allen recognizing Wally West in DC Rebirth, and the reveal that the residents of Pleasant Hill were Super Villains.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited January 2017
    I've still got a lot of catching up to do before I settle on most of the categories, but I have a few locked in so far:

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION): The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye
    Easily my favorite thing I read last year. It's the history of the Singapore/Malaysia political relationship as told through the “biography” of a fictional artist. And the way the biography is presented, it's also something of a history of comics in Singapore. So you get two great history lessons, and also a moving, poignant story of a man and his love for the comics medium. If you liked Asterios Polyp, you'll probably like this.

BEST WRITER/ARTIST: Sonny Liew (The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye, Dr. Fate)
    I’ve been a big fan of Sonny since My Faith in Frankie back in 2004. But with his use of different art styles and particularly his page designs and storytelling in the Art of Charlie Chan... book, he took his work to the next level.

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2016: David Rubín (Ether, Beowulf)
    Rubín first came to my attention with his work in the two Aurora West books that tied into Paul Pope’s Battling Boy (and where is that second volume of Battling Boy?) But seeing his work at a larger size and in color (he colors his work himself) in Ether (written by Matt Kindt) and the Beowulf graphic novel has given me an even greater appreciation of his talent. He’s been around a while, mostly working in Europe, but I need to track down his Hero graphic novels (adapting the “12 Labors of Hercules”) he did through Dark Horse. He’s been getting a little buzz the past couple of years, but I think this may be the year where he finally breaks out in a big way.
  • Best new hero or hero team : Jonathan Kent
    Best New Villain : Godspeed
    Best New Comic :
    Best limited series: Omega Men
    Best single issue or one shot: DC Rebirth
    Best Cliffhanger: paper girls 5
    Best Storyline: Darksied War
    Best Sleeper hit: Superman American alien
    Best Ongoing comic: Ms Marvel
    Best Graphic Album: March book 3
    Best Writer: Tom King
    Best Artist: Chris Samnee
    Best writer/artist : Francis Manapul
    Best colourist: Matt Wilson ( paper girls)
    Best Breakthrough Talent: Julie and shawna benson
  • This is my list so far, but for the first time in my 50 years of reading comics, it's rather Marvel-centric. Even in the early 1980s, I enjoyed a rash of DC and Indie titles alongside my then-staple Marvel list. To say I'm disappointed in my first comics love (DC) would be an understatement. At least they're publishing Astro City, which is always a breath of fresh air. To be fair, Marvel hasn't done a great deal better. I'm a bit tired of all the universe-shifting every time someone sneezes (you can revamp titles endlessly, sure. We've seen a lot of that. But when you attempt to apply the same idea to an entire universe, you're not only playing God, you're trying to cut-and-paste a template on every creative team's ideas, guys!). Sorry, preaching to the choir, I know. Ah, well - ever onward to what I loved this year:

Nadia Pym, AKA Wasp II, AKA The Unstoppable Wasp (Free Comic Book Day Vol 2016 Avengers)
    I've already grown to totally love this girl. A fish-out-of-water type story of a super-smart, super-capable young woman who will probably grow to become one of the best
    heroes we've seen in awhile. She's part of Champions, which I like, but not nearly so much as Nadia, who just got her own title this month.

Great Lakes Avengers
    This team has become the "Legion of Substitute Heroes" for a new age - they're quirky, they're dedicated to being heroes and - most appropriately to the Marvel Universe - they're hyper self-absorbed. Fascinating story development, unexpected-but-appropriate character development and great art, to boot!

Howard the Duck
    Although not listed as such, it ended up being a limited series. Loved it. Wish there was more.

Champions (Vol. 2) #1
    (Got *me* hooked, anyway)

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT

Squirrel Girl/Howard the Duck crossover. 'Nuff said.

Kurt Busiek's Astro City - hands down, still the most consistently well-written, well-drawn/painted comic series of the past 20 years (if not consistently published until recently).

Doctor Strange (Current Series, Vol. 2): The Last Days of Magic
    I'd have nominated this for "Best Storyline", but I wanted to split the difference between having a Howard/Doreen Green teamup and this exquisite pushing of the envelope. I feel this was the way to go.

BEST WRITER
    Jason Aaron, Doctor Strange
    What a remarkable imagination.

BEST ARTIST
    Chris Bachalo, Doctor Strange
    Telling these stories in the weird realms is challenging. He not only meets but surpasses anyone's reasonable expectations for such a task.

BEST WRITER/ARTIST
    John Byrne
    After more than 4 decades in the business, still writing and drawing excellent comics. This year's "Stowaway to the Stars: A Graphic Album to Color" is another enjoyable romp of a starfaring nature and a return to his roots.
    (I might have said Starlin if he'd published anything in 2016 - his stuff consistently rocks & I don't see it nearly enough)

BEST COLOR ARTIST
    Rico Renzi - Squirrel Girl. 'Nuff said.

BEST LETTERER
    Cory Petit, Doctor Strange

* If there was one that really impressed me, I'd remember it. Can't think of one.
    ** I can't pretend that I read a wide enough range to really say who's who with enough accuracy to be fair in this category.
  • ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited January 2017
    BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2016) Rondel from Hillbilly

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2016) Felix Black from American Monster

BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2016) Power Man and Iron Fist

BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2016) Swamp Thing

BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT Howling Commandos of SHIELD #6

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT The end of Vision #4

BEST STORYLINE Power Man & Iron Fist: Civil War II

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT Batgirl and the Birds of Prey

BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2016) Silver Surfer

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION) Ghoul Scouts: Night of the Unliving Undead

BEST WRITER David F. Walker

BEST ARTIST Michael Allred

BEST WRITER/ARTIST Steve Bryant

BEST COLOR ARTIST Trish Mulvihill (C’mon! Help me out with this one, eh, folks?!?)

BEST LETTERER Joe Caramagna

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2016 Marguerite Bennett
  • Just found the podcast a few months ago and have been really enjoying it! Thought I would join the community and put my nominations for the Best of 2016 out here.

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2016) – The New Bat Team (Detective Comics)

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2016) – The Victim Syndicate (Detective Comics)

BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2016) – Seven to Eternity (Remender, Opena)

BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2016) – Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Tynion, Williams)

BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT – Star Wars: C-3PO (Robinson, Harris)

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT – Deadly Class #21

BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series) – Deadly Class (Remender, Craig)

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT – Black Hammer (Lemire, Ormston)

BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2016) – Deadly Class (Remender, Craig)

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION) – Monstress vol. 1 (Liu, Takeda)

BEST WRITER – Jason Aaron (Southern Bastards)

BEST ARTIST – Sana Takeda (Monstress)

BEST WRITER/ARTIST – Skottie Young (I Hate Fairyland)

BEST COLOR ARTIST – Mike Henderson (Nailbiter)

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2016 – Marjorie M. Liu (Monstress)
  • ComicversesComicverses Posts: 7
    edited January 2017
    Best New Hero: Casey Brinke (Doom Patrol)

Best new Villain: Lord Golgotha (Reborn, Image)

Best New Comic: Moon Knight (Lemire, Smallwood & Co.)

Best Limited Series: Resident Alien: the Man with No Name (Dark Horse)

Best Single issue/one-shot: DC Universe Rebirth #1

Best Sleeper title: Rough Riders (Aftershock Comics)

Best Graphic Album: The Private Eye HC (Image, Brian K. Vaughn & Marcos Martin)

Best Moment or Cliffhanger: Death of [SPOILER] (Saga #38)

Best Ongoing: Astro City

Best Writer: Jason Aaron (Dr. Strange & Thor)

Best Artist: Joe Benitez (Lady Mechanika)

Best Storyline: Eidolon (James Bond #7-12, Warren Ellis, Dynamite)

Best Writer/Artist: Terry Moore (Rachel Rising, Motor Girl)

Break through talent: Mariano LaClaustra (Artist, Doctor Who: The 12th Doctor, Titan Comics)

Best Graphic Album: The Private Eye HC (Image, Brian K. Vaughn & Marcos Martin)

While I agree that The Private Eye is fantastic—I even nominated it and voted for it last year—the book was released in 2015.

• BEST COLOR ARTIST Trish Mulvihill (C’mon! Help me out with this one, eh, folks?!?)

Hi, Chris - what did she work on this year? I really appreciate her work, so I could be convinced to switch.

Lemme know - thanks!

Brian G. Philbin
  • compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    I have to admit I hit Klaus pretty hard, but it was a fantastic story, amazing art, and received an over the top great production of the hard cover.

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2016) - Champions of Spiral City (Black Hammer)
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2016) - Godspeed (Flash)
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2016) - Spider-Man/Deadpool (specific recognition to Joe Kelly & Ed McGuinness)
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2016) - Kalus (close tip of the hat to Vision)
    BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT - DC Comics Rebirth
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT - Watchmen button in DC Comics Rebirth
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series) - Klaus
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT - Black Monday Murders
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2016) - Silver Surfer
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION) - Klaus HC (Boom!)
    BEST WRITER - Dan Slott (Silver Surfer)
    BEST ARTIST - Dan Mora (Klaus)
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST - Jeff Lemire
    BEST COLOR ARTIST - Jordie Bellaire (everything?)
    BEST LETTERER - Ed Dukeshire (Klaus)
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2016 - Dan Mora (Art for Klaus)

• BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2016): New Super-man

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2016): Victim Syndicate from Detective Comics

BEST NEW COMIC: The Fix

BEST LIMITED SERIES: Tokyo Ghost

BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT: Batman #51 Scott Snyder’s final issue on Batman was a perfect single issue send off

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT: Batman #12 I am suicide when Bruce reveals how his attempted suicide is the fuel for him to fight crime. “I let the razor fall, and I understood it was done, I’d done it, I’d surrendered. My life was no longer my life…”

BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series): Vivek Headland’s storyline in Injection Vol 2 as he turned into a spectacular character. I’m not sure if this counts but the characters storyline in Injection Vol 2 was my favourite part of the book and a joy to read.

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT: New Super-man

BEST ONGOING COMIC: East of West

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM: Dark Knight: A True Batman Story

BEST WRITER: Tom King

BEST ARTIST: Mikel Janin (For the wonderful two page layouts in Batman which are stupendous)

BEST WRITER/ARTIST: Francis Manapul

BEST COLOR ARTIST: Jordi Bellaire

BEST LETTERER: Russ Wooton (Tokyo Ghost)

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2016: Chelsea Cain (Mockingbird)
  • ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited February 2017
    BGPhilbin said:

Hi, Chris - what did she work on this year? I really appreciate her work, so I could be convinced to switch.

Lemme know - thanks!

Ha. Thanks for the open-mindedness.

I know she worked on The Dark and Bloody, DK III: The Master Race, and We are Robin, at the very least. I think she also did work on a couple of one-shots, but I'm not one hundred percent sure about that.
  • BrettBrett Posts: 10
    Here are my two cents - thanks CSG for the chance to bore you all with them !
    Best New Hero/Team: Champions (Ms Marvel, Nova, Spider-Man, Cyclops, Amadeus Cho and VIV VISION !!) Champions These young heroes display maturity beyond their years (and beyond that of their elders in the Avengers) when they quit the Earth’s Mightiest Heroes in order to use their powers to help regular people in need. Each character has their own opinions and insecurities, which lead to hilarious and insightful arguments. Oh, and the inclusion of my new favourite hero – VIV VISION !! – is the icing on this delicious slice of action adventure ! (Note: Please do not try to eat the comic; it is hard to swallow and the colours run in your mouth)

Best New Villain/Team: The murderer/saboteur in Dept H by Matt Kindt and Sharlene Kindt. OK, this is a bit of a cheat as the killer has yet to be revealed. Whomever they are (the mad biologist, the brusque technician or perhaps even the protagonist’s brother !) their actions have brought about a scenario which is clever and potentially devastating not just for the crew trapped in a sabotaged under water base but for the world. A fantastic mystery here from the Kindt’s. Hmm, just realised whilst typing this the murderer and the saboteur may be two different characters ! Back to the drawing board in my investigations……

Best New Comic: Joyride by Jackson Lanzing and Marcus To. This comic does exactly as advertised by the title. It takes us on a joy-ride with a rebellious teenagers, including a princess and a character wanting to both live up to and rebel; against her family. And the ride is indeed with most joyous, with fun supporting characters and cool villains.

Best Limited Series: Cry Havoc by Si Spurrier, Ryan Kelly, Lee Loughridge, Matt Wilson and Nick Filardi. This comic uses colour in a unique way to delineate three different eras of the main character’s story. This menas the changes in timeframe are not confusing and allow for the cleverness of the story’s structure to shine through. The art from Ryan Kelly is beautiful and gritty (sometimes at the same time) and the final sequence is magical. This is a comic which will be talked about for years for its clever use of the medium – even the solicitation for #1 is brilliant: “It’s not about a lesbian werewolf going to war. Except it kind of is” !

Best Single Issue/One Shot: Vision #12 by Tom King, Gabriel Hernandez Walta and Jordie Bellaire. Brought the series to a perfect - and perfectly logical - end. To say more would be to ruin the story, so I will leave you with a small piece of advice: Have some tissues handy to wipe away your tears...

Best Cliffhanger/Moment: Omega Men #12s final panel fade to black. It is a cliff-hanger in that an important question is not answered, yet it wraps up the series perfectly by driving home its theme of the relativity of truth in narrating a rebellion/war and in understanding terrorists/freedom fighters.

Best Storyline: “Bloodshot Island”, Bloodshot Reborn #s 14-18 by Jeff Lemire, Tomas Giorello and Mico Suayan. This was a great story, introducing a new group of Bloodshots who have fought in major conflicts throughout US history (including the brilliant “Viet Man” and his dog), a new villain with mysterious ties to our main character and a couple of new evil plots by the evil Project Rising Spirit. As always, Jeff Lemire created three-dimensional characters instead of stereotypes (tricky to do when the other Bloodshots are essentially living stereotypes !) who evolve throughout the story. In this story he uses a mystery’s resolution to tie up loose ends, create new story possibilities and organically establish a new crisis. Excellent work from a master storyteller, with incredible art to match !

Best Sleeper/Surprise Hit: Vision by Tom King, Gabriel Hernandez Walta, Jordie Bellaire, Mike del Mundo and Michael Walsh. In this incredible series the Vision is given more humanity and character in 12 issues than he has had in the past 12 years ! A story by turns horrific, tense, tragic, funny and heartbreaking; this was not at all what I expected. It was far, far better !

Best Ongoing Comic: Black Hammer Jeff Lemire and Dean Ormston fuses silver age superheroics with family tensions, an intriguing mystery and a few moments of horror. The story is literary and the artwork could be displayed at the Louvre. A pure comics masterpiece !

TOO MUCH TO DISCUSS ! So, here is part two:
    Best Graphic Album: The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye by Sonny Liew. I have enjoyed Sonny Liew’s work for years, and 2016 saw him create his best work to date ! This graphic novel examines the history of Liew’s native Singapore through the lens of a comics artist, the eponymous Charlie Chan Hock Chye. Liew shows his amazing range with art reminiscent of the American golden age, newspaper strips and photorealism.

Best Writer: Kieron Gillen, writer of The Wicked + The Divine, Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl, Darth Vader, Doctor Aphra, Uber and Mercury Heat. He also has a story in the Alan Moore anthology Cinema Purgatorio called “Modded”. This was the hardest category for me ! There have been so many great writers creating excellent work this year – Al Ewing, Tom King, Greg Rucka, Alan Moore to name but a few. Kieron Gillen beat them all out though due to the quantity of the quality he produced in 2016. From the twists and turns in the rock-infused story of gods in WicDiv, through the deliciously evil Darth Vader and Doctor Aphra to the horrifying evil of the Nazi superhumans of Uber, Gillen did it all in 2016 !

Best Artist: Nicola Scott, penciller on Wonder Woman, all art duties on Black Magick ! Nicola Scott’s work was almost perfect when she started on Birds of Prey a few years ago. Last year she went to the next level with her stunning art on the “Year One” story arc of Wonder Woman and the creator-owned (with Greg Rucka) Black Magick. Nicola’s sense of design is given full reign in these comics as she creates a world from entirely new cloth in Black Magick or re-designs such classic superhero elements as Wonder Woman’s invisible jet. As a result she creates some of the best looking people, places and things seen in comics !

Best Writer/Artist: Gilbert Hernandez, Love & Rockets New Stories #8, Love & Rockets #1 (magazine) and Garden of Flesh. Beto is, for mine, the best artist working in comics today (and has been for a few decades now). So a year which saw a graphic novel as well as TWO issues of Love & Rockets is a stellar year regardless of whatever other hassles we have endured. In all three titles Beto once again showed his mastery of the comics medium, with perfect art allowed to breathe as dialogue is used to delineate only that we cannot already determine from the art. Due to its nature, Garden of Flesh will not be to everyone’s taste (it is a sexualised re-telling of the Adam & Eve bible story) , but is still beautifullu illustrated and has some examination of interesting themes (along with the best looking women ever to be shown in comics !!)

Best Colour Artist: Matt Wilson, The Wicked + The Divine, Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl, Paper Girls, Black Widow and more. I knew this bloke was great when he made line art from Jamie McKelvie look even better when he coloured it ! Matt Wilson provides the “pop” to The Wicked + The Divine’s pop-infused story of rock gods. Without it the comic would not be as vibrant and inviting as it is. He shows his diverse skill in colour design with books like Black Widow and the Paper Girls, both of which I also loved in 2016.

Best Letterer: Clayton Cowles, The Wicked + The Divine, Vision, IvX, Thanos, Champions, Civil War 2 and many more ! It is said that letterers have done their job when the reader does not take notice of the letters. I am not sure that’s entirely true; Clayton Cowles adds a layer of extra “art” to the comics he works on, be it through the different font types he uses for different characters, the colours he chooses for word balloons or caption boxes, or sound effects which jump off the page yet blend with the artwork.

Breakthrough Talent: Tom King, writer of Vision, Grayson (with Tim Seeley), Sheriff of Babylon, Batman best breakout talent on many lists and who am I to argue with the comics cognoscenti ? It is easy to see why this is the case – due to his stellar work on Omega Men and Grayson, DC gave Mr King the reins to their most popular character: Batman ! For me his best writing was on Vision and Sheriff of Babylon, which both played with themes of how identity changes under duress, albeit in two totally different circumstances.

BGPhilbin said:

Lemme know - thanks!

Ha. Thanks for the open-mindedness.

I know she worked on The Dark and Bloody, DK III: The Master Race, and We are Robin, at the very least. I think she also did work on a couple of one-shots, but I'm one hundred percent sure about that.
    She also worked on a Superman Annual and The Lost Boys.
    edited January 2017
    Brett said:

Best Graphic Album: The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye by Sonny Liew. I have enjoyed Sonny Liew’s work for years, and 2016 saw him create his best work to date ! This graphic novel examines the history of Liew’s native Singapore through the lens of a comics artist, the eponymous Charlie Chan Hock Chye. Liew shows his amazing range with art reminiscent of the American golden age, newspaper strips and photorealism.

Yay, another vote for The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye! Maybe it will actually make the final nomination list.
    Brett said:

Breakthrough Talent: Tom King, writer of Vision, Grayson (with Tim Seeley), Sheriff of Babylon, Batman best breakout talent on many lists and who am I to argue with the comics cognoscenti ? It is easy to see why this is the case – due to his stellar work on Omega Men and Grayson, DC gave Mr King the reins to their most popular character: Batman ! For me his best writing was on Vision and Sheriff of Babylon, which both played with themes of how identity changes under duress, albeit in two totally different circumstances.

Can Tom King make it a record THREE years in a row as the CGS Breakthrough Talent of the Year? I'm waiting with bated breath. ;)
    Yay, another vote for The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye! Maybe it will actually make the final nomination list.
    I would be very happy indeed if it were ! Sonny Liew is an incredible artist whose work I have enjoyed for a few years now and I reckon he deserves more accolades

Can Tom King make it a record THREE years in a row as the CGS Breakthrough Talent of the Year? I'm waiting with bated breath. ;)
    I went back and forth many times on whether I should consider Tom King a "Breakthrough Talent", as he has been around for a while now. I had to give him props though for the fact he has continued rocketing up the writer's ladder at DC !
    Perhaps I should have gone with my gut and nominated either Tula Lotay or Bilquis Evely instead !
  • My list, thereabouts. I'm sure I have one or two that may be miscategorized, or possibly mis-dated. Skipped a couple categories for which I don't really have a clear-cut choice.

BEST NEW VILLAIN: Godspeed

BEST NEW COMIC Power Man & Iron Fist

BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT: Star Wars: C-3PO Annual

BEST CLIFFHANGER: The watch from Rebirth

BEST STORYLINE: Aquaman: The Deluge

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT: Black Widow

BEST ONGOING COMIC: Descender

BEST WRITER: Tom King

BEST ARTIST: Chris Samnee

BEST WRITER/ARTIST: Jeff Lemire

BEST COLOR ARTIST: (Can’t find the actual name, but the main colorist for Aquaman)

BEST LETTERER: Nic Shaw, The Fix

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2016: Mark Russell, Flintstones
  • penn2kpenn2k Posts: 30

Here's what I just emailed in:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2016): Superwoman - Lana Lang, DC Rebirth

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2016): Steve Rogers, Captain America - Hail Hydra

BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2016): The Black Monday Murders

BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2016): n/a

BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT: DC Rebirth #1

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT: Batman finds the Comedian’s button in DC Rebirth #1

BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series): The near-destruction of Magic in Doctor Strange

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT: Moon Knight

BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2016): The Black Monday Murders

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION): Doctor Strange - The Oath HC

BEST WRITER: Charles Soule - Daredevil

BEST ARTIST: Phil Jimenez - Superwoman

BEST WRITER/ARTIST: Walt Simonson - Ragnarok

BEST COLOR ARTIST: Jesus Saiz - Steve Rogers, Captain America

BEST LETTERER: Rus Wooton - The Black Monday Murders

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2016: Ron Garney - Daredevil ( I know he’s a legendary artist, but the new style he adopted on this book was amazing )
  • I have to read Power Man and Iron Fist and my Black Panther runs to finish out my nominees. Need to start using these threads as a nice recommendation summary!
  • BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2016)The Paybacks(Dark Horse) after that the Tec and Black Hammer teams.
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2016)Godspeed
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2016)Aquaman
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2016)Superman: Lois and Clark, after that Starve(Image)
    BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT DC Rebirth
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT Barry recognizes Wally (DC Rebirth)
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series)Darkseid War
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT John Carter(Dynamite)
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2016)Lazarus
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION)Southern Bastards 3:Homecoming
    BEST WRITER Jason Aaron(Southern Bastards, Star Wars, Damned(Image), Mighty Thor, Dr. Strange)
    BEST ARTIST Dan Mora, after that Mikel Janin
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST Walt Simonson (Ragnarok), after that Skottie Young
    BEST COLOR ARTIST Dan Mora after that Jordie Bellaire and Jean-Francois Beaulieu
    BEST LETTERER
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2016 Dan Mora
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2016) The Golden Age Heroes of Spiral City (Black Hammer)
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2016) Muse (Daredevil)
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2016) Wonder Woman '77
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2016) Superman: Lois and Clark
    BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT DC Rebirth
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT Barry recognizes Wally (DC Rebirth)
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series) "End of Games" Darth Vader
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT Red Team: Double Tap, Center Mass
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2016) Star Wars
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION) Master of Kung-Fu Omnibus
    BEST WRITER Mark Millar
    BEST ARTIST Frank Cho
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST Jim Starlin
    BEST COLOR ARTIST Jordie Bellaire
    BEST LETTERER Joe Caramagna
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2016 Marguerite Bennett
  • I still have a bunch of books I didn't have time to get caught up on, but here's my full list, as it stands now:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2016): Future Quest team
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2016): Mammon (Black Monday Murders)
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2016): Dept. H
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2016): Wild’s End: The Enemy Within
    BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT: Black Widow #1
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT: Hellboy overthrows Hell (Hellboy in Hell)
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series): The Vision #1-12
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT: Black Hammer
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2016): Paper Girls
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION): The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye
    BEST WRITER: Brian K. Vaughan
    BEST ARTIST: Gabriel Bá
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST: Sonny Liew
    BEST COLOR ARTIST: Matt Wilson
    BEST LETTERER: John Workman
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2016: David Rubín
  • BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2016)
    Clayface (detective Comics )

Steve Rogers Captain America

Spider-man/Deadpool (marvel)

Civil War 2 Kingpin (Marvel)

DC Rebirth (DC)

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT
    Nazi Cap (Steve Rogers Captain America 1)

Isn’t it Bromantic (Spider-man/Deadpool )

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Boom)

Batman (DC)

Love is Love (DC and IDW )

BEST WRITER
    Jason Aaron (Thor, Star Wars, Southern Bastards, Doctor Strange)

BEST ARTIST
    Ed McGuiness (Spider-man-Deadpool

BEST WRITER/ARTIST
    Mike Mignola (Hellboy in Hell)

BEST COLOR ARTIST
    Val Staples

Benjamin Percy (Green Arrow )
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Been slammed at work, so I did not get my nominations in (SHAME EMOJI)

I think mine would have been a straight down the ticket Enchanted Tiki Room.