Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Download codes for digital

Does pulling the stickers from the books decreased the value of the books... I have a bunch I've never used for fear they might..

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Given that the codes expire after so many months, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. And most of the comics you're talking about will probably never be worth more than cover price anyway.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I have to agree with @nweathington - this is all assuming there will eventually be a back issue market for anything coming out right now. Although there are some books fetching well above cover price according to my recent Darth Vader ebay comic sales.

From MYComicShop.com's website:
    A Quick Note On Digital Codes

Publishers may choose to include digital content codes in their comics. Except where noted, we cannot guarantee that comics we sell will contain valid, unused, unexpired digital codes, and we can take no responsibility if a publisher chooses not to allow you to redeem such a code. Additionally, reasonable efforts to redeem this content (in particular, carefully removing a sticker covering codes) are not considered to reduce the grade we would assign the book.
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/help/grading

My thoughts on this

1) Removing the sticker is something that the publisher intends for the reader to do.
    2) Removing the sticker (carefully) does not damage the comic.

I could see a justification in not allowing a CGC rating of 10 or 9.9, but from what I understand grading companies automatically downgrade what would otherwise be a 9.8 down to a 9.6 if that sticker is removed. It's nominal. It also doesn't seem to affect my ability to sell these books on eBay after the digital code's usefulness has expired. I just say in my listings that "Digital codes are NOT included"
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Unless you are milehigh then they will sell stickered version for $5.00 more than non-stickered books.
    Good Ole' Chuck. I know he loves comics and the comics business, but boy he comes off as the shady Comics Guy a lot of the time. He almost always has what you want though.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I know he loves comics and the comics business, but boy he comes off as the shady Comics Guy a lot of the time.

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, has feathers, a bill, and webbed feet, and goes “quack”....
  • Options
    I was trying to be nice about it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

There are certainly shadier guys in the business than Chuck, unfortunately, but I'll never do business with him.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited January 2017

mwhitt80 said:

There are certainly shadier guys in the business than Chuck, unfortunately, but I'll never do business with him.
    I know nothing about Chuck the person however when I moved to Colorado about 5.5 years ago, I thought I would check out the Mile High stores to see if they lived up to the hype and if items were as expensive in store as they were on the website.

I went to three different Mile High stores (I think at that time there were 4-5 stores but I could be wrong. Now there is just three) and I came to the assessment that my comic book room was better than all of them. They were all kind of dumpy and somewhat unorganized. And the prices were just as high.

In fairness, I have not been to the Mega Store which is supposedly the best of the bunch.
  • Options
    Every picture I've seen of milehigh store, especially the mega store HS reminded me of a SAM's Club for comics.
    He's got a poop ton of comics though.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

You know that parable of the lion and scorpion. Lion swims across the river and gets in the middle " I'm a scorpion dummy, it's what I do".

I get Chuck's grading and pricing. I'm not surprised with his prices/sale pricing and grading. Once you know that you know the scorpion is scorpion you can deal with it without being surprised.

But damn it is too much to ask that the package is in alphabetical order and numberical order and facing in the same direction? I've used the scorpion for years understanding he is a scorpion but this still pissed me off. This is one of the biggest shops in the world damn it.