Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1642 Talkback - Comic Talk

Be vewy, vewy quiet--we're talking comics! Popping out of the rabbit-hole in this episode are a salute to the late Richard 'Apollo Adama' Hatch; a spirited discussion of The Lego Batman Movie and the Legion TV series; a recap of Pants' trip to Gallifrey One; reading recommendations from Chris; a touch of toy talk with Shane; and a teaser of the upcoming DC/Looney Tunes crossover one-shots. Th-th-th-that's all, folks! (1:06:06)

Listen here.

Comments

• LEGO talk! I just got the Penguin Arctic Roller (Car), and with it by ordering it at LEGO.com I received for free the two minifigures Disco Batman and Tears of Batman.

I previously got back in January the Clayface Splat Attack. At that time I got for free two Mini Batwings.

I also recently got, not LEGO Batman Movie related, but LEGO Batman related, two of the four Brickheadz that are Batman related - Batman and Joker.
  • Despite having to fight my Lego-induced narcolepsy, overall it was an enjoyable episode hearing "The Core Four" back together again. Thanks, guys!
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Am I alone in being constantly amazed by how many celebs @ShaneKelly has met over the years? A shorter list might be who he hasn't met! ;)
  • Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited February 2017
    Re: Muddle the Murd: I haven't checked to back this up, but my suspicion is that Murd was actually CORRECT guessing that Starman (Prince Gavyn) was the final named character shown perishing in the Anti-Matter Cloud. Don't mail that prize too quickly, Murd!
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    @ShaneKelly was referring to this cute trick for iPhone users.

Summon Siri with your best Batman impression of "Hey, 'puter!" Fans of the movie will enjoy.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    So that Batman / Elmer Fudd noir team-up is being written by none other than Tom King.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    @Pants and @wildpigcomics Since guys are enjoying Legion, check out Fargo when you can by the same creator Noah Hawley
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    A question to any of you who've seen THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE, as I don't believe (?) Chris or Shane brought up this particular element during the podcast:

[SPOILERS!]

Did it bug you as much as it did me that WB seems intent on continuing this sick idea of any kind of romance between Batman and Batgirl?! I was able to accept the hints of it in "Batman Beyond" because maybe in the future when they're both older and yucky looking they'd have a romp, but... I refuse to watch the DCAnimated "The Killing Joke" because of what I hear it adds to the story, and I certainly found this (budding) romance yucky in a fucking Lego movie! Yuck!
  • ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    Brian,

I've been working my way through all of Doctor Who, too, but only the ones that are complete in video/animation form, not the stills recreations or audio-only episodes. I just got through Hartnell and have saved Troughton for last.

I know I'm in a great minority, but Pertwee has been my favorite. I'm extremely jealous of your interaction with Ms Manning.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552

Brian,

I've been working my way through all of Doctor Who, too, but only the ones that are complete in video/animation form, not the stills recreations or audio-only episodes. I just got through Hartnell and have saved Troughton for last.

I know I'm in a great minority, but Pertwee has been my favorite. I'm extremely jealous of your interaction with Ms Manning.

Have you read the Pertwee Doctor comics from Titan. The voices in the 1st. story arc are spot on. I'm hoping that Cornell sticks with the title.
  • ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    aquatroy said:

Have you read the Pertwee Doctor comics from Titan. The voices in the 1st. story arc are spot on. I'm hoping that Cornell sticks with the title.

I've read the first four, and the last should be my next DCBS shipment. I completely agree with you.

• Re: Muddle the Murd: I haven't checked to back this up, but my suspicion is that Murd was actually CORRECT guessing that Starman (Prince Gavyn) was the final named character shown perishing in the Anti-Matter Cloud. Don't mail that prize too quickly, Murd!

Thanks, Mark, but as it turns out, Immortal Man perishes a few pages after Starman in Crisis #10. So whether the question is "Who was the first character to die by anti-matter in Crisis #1, and the last in #4?" (in which case Lord Volt is indeed the correct answer; this is how I've chosen to interpret the question) or "Who were the first and last characters to die by anti-matter in the entire Crisis maxiseries?", the answer I gave was an incorrect one. I was Muddled, and a prize is already en route to the victorious Muddler!
  • Still quite an amazing guess, Adam! Granted, you know more about Crisis than...well...anybody....but wow. Very impressive! Even though you lost, you WON!
  • ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 155

A question to any of you who've seen THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE, as I don't believe (?) Chris or Shane brought up this particular element during the podcast:

[SPOILERS!]

Did it bug you as much as it did me that WB seems intent on continuing this sick idea of any kind of romance between Batman and Batgirl?! I was able to accept the hints of it in "Batman Beyond" because maybe in the future when they're both older and yucky looking they'd have a romp, but... I refuse to watch the DCAnimated "The Killing Joke" because of what I hear it adds to the story, and I certainly found this (budding) romance yucky in a fucking Lego movie! Yuck!

Not in this case as much. Since it was totally apparent that Barbara was an adult being promoted to Commissioner. In the case of the Killing Joke, I didn't like it.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited March 2017

[SPOILERS!]

Not in this case as much. Since it was totally apparent that Barbara was an adult being promoted to Commissioner. In the case of the Killing Joke, I didn't like it.
    @ShaneKelly I hope the next time you are on the show you can share some of your best of 2016 picks. I know family duties can keep you busy but I think there are other listeners like me who would like to hear your thoughts.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    @wildpigcomics Bless you for mentioning the Old Guard. I somehow managed to miss it when I was pre-ordering. Not entirely sold on the art yet, but I'm hooked with the story.

In Rucka I trust. (though I do wish that he'd get back on schedule with Lazarus and go back to Black Magick).
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    I also read and liked THE OLD GUARD #1. Rucka's in his finest element when it comes to spy stuff/military stuff/ass-kicking women -- and while I know Fernandez's art has been called "polarizing" :joy: I actually loved it. Looking forward to issue #2.

Also read the first four issues of MOTOR GIRL, which I really like. I'd never read anything by the famous Terry Moore, and now I see why he's so famous lol. The guy's a great writer/artist. On both counts, he seems to trick you into thinking his style is simple when it is not. These still waters run very deep. Can't wait to continue on this title's road, and then eat up lots and lots of Mr. Moore's past work.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    DAR said:

@Pants and @wildpigcomics Since guys are enjoying Legion, check out Fargo when you can by the same creator Noah Hawley

I just realized it was @Adam_Murdough and Pants that watched Legion. Sorry for the mixup

• alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Once again, good episode! I'm looking forward to the Lego Batman movie now! It'll be awhile before it gets here to Japan (via DVD?), but I'm stoked for it now because of your discussion. Oh, and as Mark mentioned, I was also stoked for the "The Core Four" return! Nice to hear Shane back! Legion? Hmm, I'm gonna have to get to that someday soon. Speaking of Legion (of Superheroes) - I think I saw there's a LSH/Bugs Bunny in the DC/Looney Tunes crossover? Awesome!