Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Best Trade/Hardcover/OGN you read this week

Comments

• John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited April 2012
    Haven't read it yet, but got Guy Delisle's Jerusalem this week. I've been looking forward to it for months.
    Chroniques de Jérusalem is a awesome book and went straight to the top of many European bestseller lists. It won the Prix du meilleur album 2012 at Angoulême.
    Like Joe Sacco he left his mark in the genre of Comics Journalism. His cooperation with Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is very much liked by the public. A new book by Guy Delisle is always being celebrated by the media over here.
  • kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I love all of his previous work, and this one is meatier than the rest. Should be fantastic.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Had the first trade of MORNING GLORIES lying around - my daugther (19) picked it up, liked what she saw and finished the book in one go. She's asking for more of the same.

Haven't read it yet - but the fact that this book rekindled my daugther's taste for comics makes me happy.
  • kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Finished the second Abe Sapien TPB last night. Good stuff!
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Batman: The Black Mirror (collecting Snyder and Francesco Francavilla's Detective run) just arrived in the mail today. I haven't started it yet but it looks fantastic. I've only heard great things about the story and I'm excited to jump in.
  • rkbrasserkbrasse Posts: 17
    edited May 2012
    Jim Henson's Tale of Sand was a fun fast read. Very surreal and interesting. Presentation and packaging is beautiful.
  • QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    I just finished Locke and Key vol 4 Keys to the Kingdom by IDW. Absolutely amazing how good this title is. Joe Hill hits it out of the park with this one.
  • ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    @rkbrasse easily one of the best made and designed books in years. I have decided to read every GI Joe trade from the beginning and I just finished Vol. 1 (again) the other night. The stories sometimes are rather pointless but I am transported to being a kid again every time. LOVE them!

Speaking of kids, I read a lot of kids books to my son these days so I will begin to give a shout out for any that really stand out, and this/last week the hands down winner for my new favorite is Little Blue Truck.
  • T2GunnzT2Gunnz Posts: 14
    This week I've polished off Fables Homelands Vol. 6 and I'm half way through Vol.7 The Arabian Nights and Days trade. I'm just waiting for Amazon.com to send me Vol.4 of 52 I feel like a damn fiend waiting for it.
  • Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I read Final Crisis this week. It was bad. I do not like Morrison
    What other Morrison stuff have you read. Cause in my eyes there is two types of Morrison comics. There is the creator owned or b-level or lower super hero stuff.That is the Morrison I like. Then you have his work on A-level heroes,IE ASS,his Batman run,etc. That is the Morrison I don't like. The only A-level story that Morrison has written that I like is "Arkham Asylum".
    I have only read the major stuff. ASS and New 52 Action. To them I say yuk. I also actually just finished the first Batman and Robin trade. I say meh. I need to lay off Morrison. Maybe I'll like his B-Level heroes, but A-Level heroes are a major no go to me. I am a character driven reader, and love Batman, but this is just not good. Maybe sometime in the future I can get the B-Level characters, but for now, I have sworn off Morrison.
  • Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Had the first trade of MORNING GLORIES lying around - my daugther (19) picked it up, liked what she saw and finished the book in one go. She's asking for more of the same.

Haven't read it yet - but the fact that this book rekindled my daugther's taste for comics makes me happy.
    Read It. It really taps into that LOST type mystery. To me it is a must read. I can't get enough of it. It's awesome
    @Eric_C I like All Star Superman and Animal Man by Grant Morrison a lot. I think All Star Superman is one of the better Superman stories out there if you don't mind a silver age like Superman.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Big Book of Weirdos

I love this series of trades. And this one has some amazing artwork. Found it at a Barnes and Noble for $3. It is worth at least 5 times that price.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Flex Mentallo...I think..or was it all in my head? Am I really here? What is here? What are we really?
    I just read vol 1 of 52. I enjoyed it a lot more than I though I would.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Just read the Vampi Omnibus. Back in the day I saw this series for what it pretty much was (cheesecake galore, not that there's anything wrong with that) and gave it a pass. Turns out I missed out on some amazing artwork and a pretty good story that, while not breaking any new ground, manages to tread the tried and true with a lot of respect.

Only gripe? The brilliant artwork and good writing fall apart in the last few issues of it. Other than that? Solid book all around...makes me want to read some of the old vampirella stuff.
  • PaulPhelanPaulPhelan Posts: 45
    Very limited comics reading this month but did get Wolverine Origin and Bart Simpson Prince of Pranks from the local library. I really enjoyed the Bart Simpson title - captures the essence of the show in its prime and makes me want to read more. I got Wolverine for reasons unknown to me - probably because it was there, and I don't usually come away with less than 2 books. I thought it was boring, not the best artwork I've seen from the creators involved, and overall just a waste of my time.
  • chrisruggiachrisruggia Posts: 40
    I'm very slowly reading Kagan McLeod's Infinite Kung Fu right now.

It's definitely entertaining, like a 70s classic kung fu movie plus zombies. Neither kung fu movies nor zombies rank high on my list of interests, but I love the 70s fashion elements that creep in, and the brushwork is ultra-dynamic.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Nathan Schreiber's Power Out.

They had it on display at Bergen Street Comics in Brooklyn, I think in a little section of Xeric Grant winners, and the cover design caught my eye. I really enjoyed it. It is familiar territory for cartoonists doing an OGN (in this case, a web-first-then-OGN): a teenage coming of age story, but I thought the storytelling and, to borrow Haspiel's observation, the pacing, were excellent. It was a nice mix of personal and slightly magic-real or at least fever dream. I hope he continues on to another volume, which I believe is his plan.
    The Complete Badger volume 1

Back when this series was being published by Capitol and then First comics I knew of it. But never read more than a handful of issues. But found the four IDW trades that reprint the early stuff super cheap at a con earlier this year. What a great concept,a former war vet with multiple personalities who works for a druid. Lots of great over the top comedy and violence and some really well done artwork.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I just read the "Nuts" collection by Gahan Wilson, which pulls together all of the strips from National Lampoon. Wilson is probably best knows as a gag cartoonist who works for Playboy and New Yorker, doing one panel gags about the macabre. His work on Lampoon is the first from him that I remember, and these strips are probably autobiographical to a point about his childhood, and they are amazingly good.

Almost a counter-point to Peanuts (which is why it was named Nuts), it tells about the world from the kid's point of view, with very little of the rosy nostalgia most strips have. It goes into fears, worries, small joys and how you see the world as a kid.

I loved the strips when they were in Lampoon, but oddly, it took me a couple of tries to get into the collection. I don't know if it is because they were all in one collection, or if the early ones weren't as good as the later strips, but after I made it through the first 1/4th of the book, I simply couple put it down, and was disappointed that there were so few strips done. Wilson's art is crammed at the bottom of each panel, and it seems as if the leads character is almost buries by the verbiage, but by the time you are immersed in the strips, you don't notice it any more.

It's a solid borrow, and you should look for it at the library.
  • Got the final Fear Agent tpb. Doing a re-read of the entire series and loving it. Far and away my favourite work from Rick Remender.
  • Got the final Fear Agent tpb. Doing a re-read of the entire series and loving it. Far and away my favourite work from Rick Remender.
    I've been thinking of trying that..what's it like??

I was waiting for a complete hardcover but I haven't heard if there are plans for that :/

• TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Avengers children's crusade. Great story and amazing art.
  • dukealoopsdukealoops Posts: 19
    Blacksad. Nothing but amazing stories & art. One you have to read.
    I've been thinking of trying that..what's it like??

I was waiting for a complete hardcover but I haven't heard if there are plans for that :/

Theyre planning on doing it as a series of two omnibus hardcovers starting at the beginning of next year if I remember correctly. The paper and printing quality is of the usual high standards of all Dark Horse trades so it's really a matter of personal taste whether you want to go for the tpbs now or the hcs later.

In terms of content it's great stuff. Great pulp sci if with one of the best new main characters I've read in quite some time. Even though the time-travel, alien, sci-fi weirdness is what makes it stand out, the real success of the books is how Remender develops the character of Heath. He's someone that you become very conflicted about during the run, his bad decisions and lack of moral strength make him a great protagonist but not necessarily a good hero.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited June 2012
    Tiny Titans: What Happens in Pet Club.

Pure Comic-y GoodnessTM!
  • MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    I've never read Alias (BMB) outside of one stand-alone issue (when Jess gets hired by JJJ and she send him invoices for soup kitchen tapioca) but I got the omnibus on the cheap a few weeks back and have been reading it for the last few days.

What a great story, and what great writing. Im a little BMBed out these days from all the event/avengers stuff, but even burned out this is amazing.
    Showcase presents The Unknown Soldier

I love these DC war comics. And this having Joe Kubert artwork for the first few stories really helps out. To me the artwork being in b/w makes it even better than the color versions. I wish they would do a second volumes,but that seems unlikely.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Marvel Romance Redux: Another Kind of Love

Piss your pants funny at some points. Current writers take the old classic Kirby, Buscema, etc Young Girls In Love romance tales from the 60s and 70s and skewer the living hell out of them, changing the words, not the art. So while I can drool over how much attention was spent on the horrible fashions of the age (rendered in ridiculous detail by the artists!) I can laugh out loud at how they've taken an existing scene and just butchered it.

If you find this book anywhere, don't think twice...pick it up.