Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    Sept. 1953: This cover for Marvel Family #89 by Kurt Schaffenberger marked the end of an era—the final appearance of Captain Marvel and company (for the next 20 years anyway). Fawcett would publish only one more comic, an issue of Fawcett’s Funny Animals, before closing the doors on its comic book publishing division.

National Comics (DC) had sued Fawcett way back in 1941 for copyright infringement. When the case finally came to trial, the lawsuit was thrown out basically on a technicality. (National failed to file copyright notices for some of the original Superman newspaper strips.) But National appealed in 1951, and this time things went in their favor. With comic sales in decline, Fawcett decided it was no longer worth fighting the case, settled for $400,000, and began shutting down its comic book operation.

As for Schaffenberger, he got his start in the business at Jack Binder’s studio in 1941, where he produced work for Fawcett—mostly “Ibis the Invincible” to begin with and later mainly “Captain Marvel,” “Marvel Family,” and “Captain Marvel, Jr.” stories. When Fawcett dropped their comics line in 1953, Schaffenberger was sent scrambling for work, but it was hard to come by. He worked for anyone and (nearly) everyone, including drawing a handful of Captain America stories. He even tried selling a newspaper strip idea he’d come up with about a high school baseball team. After two years of this, he finally latched on with ACG where he quickly became their top artist.

In 1957, Otto Binder—younger brother of Jack Binder, and a prolific writer for Fawcett—recommended Schaffenberger to Superman editor Mort Weisinger, who was looking for a regular artist for the Lois Lane book. Weisinger was many things, but he wasn’t an idiot, and Schaffenberger proved to be the perfect artist for the job. But that’s a story for later.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    edited February 2017
    Here are some old Free Comic Book Day issue covers from Bongo, Boom, IDW, Viz, & Virgin:

• Options
    Oct. 1953: This month was the peak of the short-lived 3-D comic book craze—13 different titles were published in 3-D—and what better representative than Captain 3-D #1. The cover and interiors were all penciled by Jack Kirby, and inked by the great Mort Meskin with some help from Steve Ditko (and written by Joe Simon and Kirby)—talk about a powerhouse creative team!

3-D movies were in full bloom when Joe Kubert and his partner Norm Maurer created the first 3-D comic book, Three Dimension Comics #1, in the summer of 1953 to great success. In two printings, the issue sold two and a half million copies. Naturally it didn’t take long before every publisher was trying to cash in with 3-D books of their own. But almost as soon as it started, the fad quickly skidded to a halt. By the end of the year, sales of 3-D comics were in the tank, and by the summer of ’54 they were nowhere to be seen.

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    2000AD is 40 years old today and has a special edition out to celebrate has two special covers by
    Carlos Ezquerra

and David Aja
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    @Caliban
    Who are the other two characters with dredd in the Ezquerra cover?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2017
    mwhitt80 said:

@Caliban
    Who are the other two characters with dredd in the Ezquerra cover?

Strontium Dog (with the gun) and Tharg the Mighty (the alien in the background)—both of whom were in the first issue of 2000AD.
  • Options
    @mwhitt80 The Green guy with the rosette of Sirius on his forehead is Tharg, the fictional editor of 2000AD since 1977. It was sort of required for British boys' comics back then. Now regarded either as an annoying convention that should be got rid of, or with a certain knowing, amused enjoyment by fans.

The character with the helmet is Johnny Alpha AKA Strontium Dog. Like Dredd he was co-created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra and is a very interesting character indeed, particularly because it's the strip that allowed Wagner, Ezquerra and Alan Grant to do something similar to what Lee and Kirby did in the 60s with the X-Men and use radiation induced mutants as a metaphor to look at predjudice and bigotry in society. Some great Strontium Dog stories in the past, and watch out for a fan film coming out on youtube in May, ny the people who made the Judge Minty film.
  • Options
    Strontium Dog has had some reprint presence here in the States, most notably the Fleetway series back in the late ’80s, which you can sometimes find in the cheap bins. It’s not one I’ve read much of though.

But it's gotta be in the top three or four longest-running series in 2000AD history (if you count the stories after they killed him off), yes, @Caliban? I’ve never been a regular reader, but when I think 2000AD, I think Dredd, Rogue Trooper, and Strontium Dog as their Mt. Rushmore. (Maybe Tharg would be the fourth head?) I'd personally rather read “D.R. & Quinch” or “Zenith” or “The Ballad of Halo Jones”, but those three seem to me to be the backbone of the company.
  • Options
    I've read the first four volumes of the Judge Dredd Complete Casfiles (own up to 9), the judge child saga is in volume 4. So I'm not completely ignorant of 2000ad, but those are just Dredd stories. I also picked up the two Rogue Trooper volumes a few years back.

It looks like Strontium Dog has something similar called agency files. You can get for 15-20 used on Amazon so I picked up volume. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    @nweathington Strontium Dog actually started in another comic called Starlord which was folded into 2000AD in issue 86. Certainly Strontium Dog is one of the longest running and most popular strips in the comic and would be up there on 2000AD's Rushmore.
  • Options
    Caliban said:

@nweathington Strontium Dog actually started in another comic called Starlord which was folded into 2000AD in issue 86.

Interesting. I did not know that 2000AD had brought in characters from other sources outside of Dan Dare and the Stainless Steel Rat.
  • Options
    More reasons to love the 90s
    Cover by Val Semeiks
  • Options
    Picked up the Son of Satan Classic TPB for -- no surprise to many of you -- the Steve Gerber run that's sort of in the middle of the book. As it turned out, I really couldn't get into the stories before and after Gerber's run, but did enjoy revisiting the Gerber stories from Marvel Spotlight, some of which I'd read as a kid, and some not.

The arc that ended the Gerber storyline involved Daimon having his fortune read with tarot cards, which then come true (quite literally) over the remaining issues (interior art by Sal Buscema). There were also two solid issues prior to those with beautiful art by Gene Colan. Those two story arcs were the highlight for me.

Here's a cover from the "tarot" storyline:

Marvel Spotlight #21 (April 1975)
    Pencils: Gil Kane
    Inks: Tom Palmer

• Options
    To quote the well known Jamie D/CGS aphorism "Every comic is improved by an ape on the cover".
    Jake Lynch provides a gorilla twist on the DRedd 2012 movie poster.

• Options
    Caliban said:

To quote the well known Jamie D/CGS aphorism "Every comic is improved by an ape on the cover".
    Jake Lynch provides a gorilla twist on the DRedd 2012 movie poster.

Don't you mean "apehorism"? Amirite??
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Girls' Romances #156
    April 1971
    Don Heck and Dick Giordano

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Nov. 1953: Back in December 2015 of this thread, I mentioned Dan DeCarlo and Millie the Model, and that I'd likely post one of those covers down the road. Well, it's past due, I'd say, so here’s Millie the Model #51 by Dan DeCarlo. Millie the Model began in 1945 as part of the “career girl” subgenre of humor books. Back then it was drawn in a more straight style, but that changed when Dan DeCarlo took over the book with issue #16 (Feb. 1948), beginning a 10-year run on the title.

DeCarlo broke into comics with Atlas less than a year before taking over Millie, as an artist on another “career girl” book, Jeanie. His work was still rough at that point, barely recognizable as being his. When he took over Millie, he slowly became more and more stylized and confident, and by Millie the Model #20 his work starts to look much more like the patented DeCarlo style. With issue #18, he was not only drawing almost every story in each issue (with Stan Lee writing), but he was signing his name as well. Before long, DeCarlo was writing the stories too. And as Millie was bimonthly, DeCarlo still had time to do other odd jobs for Atlas. In 1951 he began working regularly on My Friend Irma, doing covers as well as some interior work.

He also began to branch out to work for other publishers that year, including a few small jobs for Archie (which didn't pay well), Pines, and Ziff-Davis. He even did some work for Shoney’s Big Boy comics and one-panel cartoons for Atlas owner Martin Goodman’s men’s magazine Humorama during the ’50s. In 1955 a new comic called Homer the Happy Ghost replaced My Friend Irma on DeCarlo’s work schedule, but Millie and its spinoffs were his mainstays until 1958. At that point Atlas was in trouble, and unable to give DeCarlo the amount of work he wanted. So DeCarlo began splitting his time between Atlas and Archie. By the end of 1959, DeCarlo was working mainly for Archie, only doing a few small jobs for Atlas here and there. Millie the Model #94 (cover-dated Jan. 1960) featured his last work for Marvel until 1982, when he did a cover and short story for Smurfs #1. (And he did co-create the Willy Lumpkin newspaper strip with Stan Lee in 1960, but it didn’t last long.)

From that point on, DeCarlo was an Archie man... until he wasn’t. But we’ll get to that a bit later.

• Options
    Strange Adventures #78
    March 1957
    Gil Kane & Bernard Sachs

• Options
    A little outside the norm to post something so recent, but I love the cover of last week's Thunderbolts #10. Kind of like a family reunion.

• Options
    edited February 2017

I get the feeling that the faces of the spacemen on the cover were likenesses of people Kane knew—probably DC staffers. But I can’t verify that.

Here is Mike Kaluta’s version (Sept./Oct. 1972) of the Kane/Sachs cover for the reprint of the story, just for comparison.

• Options

Here is Mike Kaluta’s version (Sept./Oct. 1972) of the Kane/Sachs cover for the reprint of the story, just for comparison.

Wow! It certainly illicits more of a 'horror' vibe to the story cover, doesn't it? Nice interpretation by Kaluta.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Dec. 1953: Success breeds imitation, and Mad was very successful. By now the imitators had begun hitting the stands, and this month alone produced Charlton’s Eh! #2, Atlas’ Crazy #4 and Wild #2, and EC’s Panic #1—because if you can’t imitate yourself, who can you imitate? Eh! and Crazy only lasted seven issues each, and Wild only four. Of the four, Panic stuck around the longest at twelve issues. But Crazy would be revived in the ’70s, first as a comic, and then—à la Mad—as a magazine. The magazine had a fairly lengthy run of 94 issues—a drop in the bucket when compared to Mad though.

This cover is by Joe Maneely, showing a bit of his versatility. Humor wasn’t his forte, but he could hold his own.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I know that this isn't a comic per se....But it's still cool looking.

• Options

I know that this isn't a comic per se....But it's still cool looking.

Denys Cowan's untraditional style (at the time) on The Question.
  • Options
    My favorite​cover from The Joker (1975)
    Ernie Chan
  • Options
    More ape-tastic fun from the Megazine with Phil Winslade on #375

• Options
    Berni Wrightson’s first published comic cover was for the magazine format Web of Horror #3 (Apr. 1970). Below is the original painting and the printed cover.

• Options
    Wrightson’s first cover for Marvel came a few months later, Chamber of Darkness #6 (Oct. 1970). You can really see the Jack Davis influence in the human figures.

• Options
    Wrightson had already drawn several short anthology stories for DC by the time this cover, his first for DC, was published. Here’s DC 100-Page Super Spectacular #4 (June 1971).

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Wrightson’s first venture into superhero comics (I don’t count the first Swamp Thing story, as it was just meant as a one-off horror story), Detective Comics #425 (July 1972). Wrightson was one of the first artists to really play with the length of Batman’s cape for dramatic effect.