Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1646 Talkback - Spotlight on SHAZAM! in the Golden Age, Part Three

Holey Moley! The World's Mightiest Spotlight Series is finally back for one more look at the adventures of Captain Marvel & Family in the superhero heyday of the Forties (1946-49). Appearing on the Historama are the official incorporation of the Marvel Family as a team; the debut of new friends like Freckles Marvel and Mr. Tawny the talking tiger, and baddies like Black Adam, the Sivana Family, Mr. Atom and >shudder< Aunt Minerva; Captain Marvel's second (and last) multi-part 'serial' of the Golden Age, 'The Cult of the Curse'; and plenty of miscellaneous quirky-but-wholesome 1940s fun... plus a couple of spankings. (3:30:09)

Listen here.

Comments

• matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I was amazed that three parts were needed to cover the Golden Age then I remembered there was no Silver Age of Captain Marvel. I think I will binge all three to catch up. Thanks for the time and effort guys!
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Very cool! Thanks guys!
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552

I was amazed that three parts were needed to cover the Golden Age then I remembered there was no Silver Age of Captain Marvel. I think I will binge all three to catch up. Thanks for the time and effort guys!

You've got to remember that at one time Captain Marvel Adventures was the biggest selling comic magazine going. Couple that with appearances in just about every title that Fawcett published and you've got a ton of material to cover.
    It's a monumental effort. Well done!
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    @Adam_Murdough, re: Marvel Family #24 and the “Captain Marvel's Blindness” story featuring Delilah, the artwork is definitely not Bud Thompson. I’m pretty certain it’s drawn by C.C. Beck, probably with Pete Costanza inks. It was a nice excuse to work in the Aunt Fanny Marvel story though.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    edited March 2017
    I'm about an hour sixteen into the show, but like the past two Shazam spotlights I have a strong urge to check out some of these stories.
  • @Adam_Murdough, re: Marvel Family #24 and the “Captain Marvel's Blindness” story featuring Delilah, the artwork is definitely not Bud Thompson. I’m pretty certain it’s drawn by C.C. Beck, probably with Pete Costanza inks. It was a nice excuse to work in the Aunt Fanny Marvel story though.

I actually didn't mean to imply that Thompson drew that Delilah story--I just mentioned Thompson and "Aunt Fanny" as an additional example of the Fawcett staff's occasional indulgence in cheesecake. But thanks as always, Eric, for your peerless fact-checksmanship! It's a great reassurance to Chris and me to know that we have a pro comics historian backing our plays when we set out to do these things. :smile:

@Adam_Murdough, re: Marvel Family #24 and the “Captain Marvel's Blindness” story featuring Delilah, the artwork is definitely not Bud Thompson. I’m pretty certain it’s drawn by C.C. Beck, probably with Pete Costanza inks. It was a nice excuse to work in the Aunt Fanny Marvel story though.

I actually didn't mean to imply that Thompson drew that Delilah story--I just mentioned Thompson and "Aunt Fanny" as an additional example of the Fawcett staff's occasional indulgence in cheesecake. But thanks as always, Eric, for your peerless fact-checksmanship! It's a great reassurance to Chris and me to know that we have a pro comics historian backing our plays when we set out to do these things. :smile:
    You’ve done a great job with these, Adam. I don't care too much for simple story plot regurgitations, but you provided plenty of context, which I appreciate. Can’t wait for the next one!
  • i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
    I made it through the marathon session, finally. Gadzooks that's a lot of content for such a small period of time! You covered it flawlessly, sir @Adam_Murdough, and now I'd love to sink my teeth into some of this insanity!
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    (3:30:09)!!! What the--?!?! Okay, I'm gonna have to fit this somewhere in my schedule..
    @Adam_Murdough burning the midnight oil!!! I just finished the first two again and this chapter. I can't wait for the Atomic Age chapter. In fact I will not even read up on the subject of the demise of the Marvels and Fawcett before then so I can enjoy your take.

Some thoughts I have about Captain Marvel and the Marvels are that I can see why they were doing so well compared to Superman. I think it deals with wish fulfillment for kids. I can see why a kid would enjoy reading about some kids can become a super-hero by uttering a word immediately. With Superman you have to come from another planet and THEN grow-up to be Superman.

The fact that they had two other heroes stayed kids when they changed helps. I think this is similar to the strategy that Marvel (the company) is utilizing now. Looking at the new Champions they are all kids and they are junior versions of established heroes. I don't think Marvel Comics strategy has been as successful because of where the comic market is today.

I can't wait to hear the details of the lawsuit. I am having a hard time seeing how National/DC won this case. The Marvels were such a different take on comics. More comically based on the synopsis of the issues. Captain Marvel Jr and Mary Marvel predated Superboy and Supergirl.

Hopefully the story of how Marvel Comics nabbed the use of Captain Marvel will be addressed. Winning the lawsuit kind of bit DC in the ass on this aspect.
    Just keep in mind that this was a 12-year legal battle with a lawsuit, which Fawcett won kind of on a technicality, and an appeal that dragged on and on. But I'll leave the details for Adam to fill in.
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Another great episode. Cannot wait till the next part.

Just keep in mind that this was a 12-year legal battle with a lawsuit, which Fawcett won kind of on a technicality, and an appeal that dragged on and on. But I'll leave the details for Adam to fill in.

Oh yeah that's right they did mention there were some cease and desist letters and that guy Fawcett assigned just to deal with some of DC's legal assaults.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    It's a very odd feeling when someone mentions your name unexpectedly.

Adam, you're welcome.
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    @Adam_Murdough, You've cast some of the greatest pods in the entire medium with these "Spotlight: SHAZAM! in the Golden Age" episodes, I can't even express how much I enjoy them. As far as I'm concerned you could have gone on for another three hours and I'd have loved it even more. I've long considered Chris Eberle's "THOR in the Silver Age" to be my favorite of these wonderful CGS spotlights, but your SHAZAM episodes rival even that magnificent one! Can't wait to see how Cap and the Marvel Family deal with the Atomic Age. I know it won't end well, but I'm sure it'll be an extremely well-told tale nonetheless. Thanks again.
  • ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for the mention, Adam. I wasn't aware of the Lester story, but I will surely be tracking a copy down either this weekend or in July.

Hearing about Lester was a surprise, as I expected your Mxyztplk reference to go instead to The Surrealist Imp from Captain Marvel Adventures #84. In a text piece from The Amazing World of DC Comics #13 (Oct. 1976) by E. Nelson Bridwell, Mxyztplk, Mxyzptlk, Woozy Winks, Ferlin Nyxly, Quisp, and several other impish rascals and comedic characters talk with one another, and among their group is The Surrealist Imp. No mention of Lester, though.

Thank you from bringing Lester's story and so many others to our attention. An incredible job.
    That imp puts me in mind of the Impossible Man.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I made it! Very interesting thoughts on the appearances of Cap Marvel and thanks for mentioning that link to the Fawcett comics! Since I took down some notes, I'll be going back and trying out some of those stories myself!
  • Thanks for the mention, Adam. I wasn't aware of the Lester story, but I will surely be tracking a copy down either this weekend or in July.

Hearing about Lester was a surprise, as I expected your Mxyztplk reference to go instead to The Surrealist Imp from Captain Marvel Adventures #84. In a text piece from The Amazing World of DC Comics #13 (Oct. 1976) by E. Nelson Bridwell, Mxyztplk, Mxyzptlk, Woozy Winks, Ferlin Nyxly, Quisp, and several other impish rascals and comedic characters talk with one another, and among their group is The Surrealist Imp. No mention of Lester, though.

Thank you from bringing Lester's story and so many others to our attention. An incredible job.

The Surrealist Imp story was down in my notes, but I decided on the fly to skip mentioning it in the interest of time. Sorry, Chris! That was most imp-prudent of me--to say nothing of imp-practical and imp-polite! :smiley:
  • i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
    Webhead said:

Holy crap, a @Webhead appearance!
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

That imp puts me in mind of the Impossible Man.

First thought that came to my mind!
  • Shane is absolutely right about Dwayne Johnson. In my former life, I was a stand-in and photo double on films and TV shows. I worked on 'Race to Witch Mountain' for about 4 months. Dwayne makes a point of getting to know as many people as well as time allows and brings positivity to a set without any star ego baggage whatsoever.
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

Webhead said:

Holy crap, a @Webhead appearance!
    Always been here just in lurker mode.
  • popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Excellent episode. My hourly commute went quickly with this long form podcast. Thank you.