Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1647 Talkback - Off the Racks: Nova #1, Supergirl: Being Super #1, & WW '77/Bionic Woman #1

Something old (the retro vibe of Wonder Woman '77 Meets the Bionic Woman #1), something new (the youthful protagonists of Nova #1 and Supergirl: Being Super #1), something borrowed (Murd's copy of Scooby-Doo Team-Up #23), and something blue (Blue Rider, the Led Zeppelin wannabes seen in Rockstars #1): a perfect marriage of elements for a great Off the Racks episode! And join us afterwards at the reception for some TV talk on Iron Fist and Legion. (1:16:37)

Listen here.

Comments

• matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    @wildpigcomics fyi Chris, concerning the fight scenes in Iron Fist it was reported that Finn Jones had just three weeks to prepare for his fight scenes and a lot of the choreography was done same day as filming. It explains lot of the slowness and some of the lack of authenticity . Hopefully he'll get some more time for second season of Iron Fist or I'm hoping for Heroes for Hire.
  • Thanks for the honest reviews, guys. I long ago stopped buying ANYTHING done by Dynamite Comics, so despite the nostalgic pull of something like WW & The Bionic Woman, I knew it would be crap. The Nova and Supergirl stories sounded painful to read (despite Murd's thumbs up for Supergirl), so thanks for saving me the trouble!

As for Iron-Fist, I'm finding it depressingly aimless and lethargic (only a few more episodes to watch). Once again, a series that should've been a tight 8 episodes is stretched out to flabby, listless 13 episodes. Marvel's Netflix unit really needs to button things up and snap out of auto pilot.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Joëlle Jones is a fantastic artist, and I second @Adam_Murdough’s recommendation of Lady Killer—a really fun book.
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    Was surprised you guys didn't like SUPERGIRL: BEING SUPER a lot more. (Admittedly, that title sucks the high hard one.) I think it's easily the best Supergirl story I have read since Peter David's run, and it's also - along with Max Landis' SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN - among the most realistic portrayals of a teenaged superhero I've seen from either of the Big Two publishers in quite some time. I finished #1 and rushed to grab #2, I was so enthralled. I don't know how they will explain this Kara's connection to Superman; maybe they won't - which is another interesting plate they've got spinning in the air. As Murd discussed, I also really appreciated how Kara's parents are portrayed in this title. Usually, Pa and Ma Danvers are written as a mere xerox copy of Jonathan and Martha Kent... but here, Tamaki and Jones make a great effort to present them as unique characters, which only adds to the layers of this new character origin. I'm in it for the long haul! - which will probably be six issues :joy: but if it keeps up this momentum, I'll hope for much more.

As for WONDER WOMAN '77 MEETS THE BIONIC WOMAN... yeah, like you guys, I was somewhat underwhelmed. Hopefully it will improve in following issues. One thing I did like, however, was Mangels' refusal to fall into the stale trap of having his two legendary protagonists fight each other before only then forming a team/friendship. I am soooo done with that! So I was happy to see Diana and Jaime become fast friends here, instead. AND I also liked the sound effects for Jaime's bionic powers. Dee-nee-nee-nee-nee, indeed! AND I liked learning Jaime's origin: I never knew she was taken in by Steve's family after her parents were killed! So yeah. Maybe the writing needed a few more drafts and maybe the art was lousy, but hey, I found a few specs of gold in this issue :smile:
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    As for the main three off the racks, I avoided getting them because in concept or solicitation they did nothing for me (Wonder Woman/Bionic Woman?: I wasn't into the tv BW series at all - Meh..., Nova: Another Nova series?: Meh..., Yet another Supergirl series?: Meh...). So, I'm glad that your reviews confirmed my decision. As for Iron Fist: Like Chris, I assumed that Danny's "blandness" and "naivete" came from his living in K'un L'un all those years. As for the fight scenes, I was assuming that they were going for a style that the audience could see rather than the "hyperkinetic and in the shadows" style see in, for example, the Nolan Batman series. And like Chris, I really loved the Colleen Wing (actress and character), Claire Temple (actress and character), and the father/brother/sister characters.
  • johnnyhateschachijohnnyhateschachi Posts: 37
    edited April 2017
    Another fine Episode, Geeks! I find most new Marvel to be vomit inducing myself.
    Please see below for Info regarding a point of interest in the 10th Anniversary Episode. The USPS does not consider comic books media mail. Magniconte! (It's my own personal version of Excelsior. Just trying it out).

MEDIA MAIL SERVICE

Media Mail shipping is a cost-effective way to send educational materials. This service has restrictions on the type of media that can be shipped. Media Mail rates are limited to the items listed below:

Books (at least 8 pages).
    Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs.
    Play scripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.
    Printed music.
    Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.
    Sixteen millimeter or narrower width films.
    Printed objective test materials and their accessories.
    Printed educational reference charts.
    Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.

Media - printed music, sound recordings, periodicals, CDs, DVDs, and books.

Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard. Books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 170, Media Mail packages must have a delivery address and the sender’s return address and are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage.

For more information about Media Mail service, please visit www.usps.com or call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777). Complete explanations of qualified items can be found in the DMM.

PSN 7610-07-000-4037

Notice 121, October 2012