Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1648 Talkback - April 2017 Previews

Here it comes to save the day! That means the Previews show is on its way! Listen along as we go through the April 2017 catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in June. (1:32:57)

Listen here.

Comments

• Shawn138Shawn138 Posts: 5
    Great episode! I always love the Previews episodes - I almost always hear about a comic or product that I somehow bypassed in my own perusing of the Previews catalog. Also, thanks for mentioning the long-winded (but heartfelt) email I sent you guys on the show!
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Thanks guys. Previews is always appreciated!
  • KeeganKeegan Posts: 21
    I appreciate the episode on Previews. Thank you guys. You always have insight on things I've missed. My DCBS order is way expensive right now, and Murd, your not helping! (Kidding, of course). Sadly, I'm only ordering 2 Marvel titles this month, out of about 40 titles. Thanos, and Iron Fist (which might get dropped off my list next month). Moon Knight was not solicited and Aaron left Doctor Strange while Lemire left Old Man Logan. Dropped both of those titles. When I was a kid I would have been considered a "Marvel Zombie". Now Marvel is over priced and a lot of other things not worth arguing with a whole group of posters over. Ha!
    Thanks again for making my work days go faster my friends!
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Right there with you on Nocturnals, @Adam_Murdough.

@wildpigcomics, re: The Planet of the Apes collection being listed as full color, Marvel reprinted those some of the magazine stories as a full-color comic called Adventures on the Planet of the Apes. It ran for eleven issues, and only covered the adaptations of the first two films. But I doubt Boom will be coloring the “Terror on the Planet of the Apes” material in this first book. Everywhere else I've looked, the solicitation text says nothing about color, only “remastered”. Those stories were done in gray ink wash, so what I'm thinking is that they'll print it using the full-color process so as to get all the nuance in the ink wash.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited April 2017
    YESSS, agreeing with the sentiments expressed above: Guys, THANKS for the Previews episode! I thought Pants was quite funny in this one. Chris made some good comments though the ghostwriter's contributions to the Pants-themed nicknames were so-so. (LOL!) It seemed as though Murd found A LOT to buy in this month's Previews. As Keegan mentioned above, I'm adding more to my order because of Murd. I agree with Chris on Rucka: I'd much prefer to see more Lazarus than the two issues of Wonder Woman jumping back-and-forth between stories twice a month. I think it was a good idea in concept, but having been overwhelmed with the DC double shipping anyway, having another story to remember was a little too much. Hey, I'll tell how much I like you guys Previews episodes: I haven't even gotten my copy of Previews yet and I still listened to the episode! I guess when I finally get it, I might have to listen again before I turn in my order.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited April 2017
    Nothing helps getting over the depression of Tax Day than hearing @Pants geek out over the Wild Pig Free Comic Book Day sale! Actually hearing all you guys!
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Right there with you on Nocturnals, @Adam_Murdough.

@wildpigcomics, re: The Planet of the Apes collection being listed as full color, Marvel reprinted those some of the magazine stories as a full-color comic called Adventures on the Planet of the Apes. It ran for eleven issues, and only covered the adaptations of the first two films. But I doubt Boom will be coloring the “Terror on the Planet of the Apes” material in this first book. Everywhere else I've looked, the solicitation text says nothing about color, only “remastered”. Those stories were done in gray ink wash, so what I'm thinking is that they'll print it using the full-color process so as to get all the nuance in the ink wash.

I believe you're right, Eric. It would be a terrible decision to try and color Ploog's beautiful work on 'Terror' where I don't even think they used an inker on his artwork in most of those stories. It's on my order, so I will let you know.
  • The "Terror on the Planet of the Apes" was one of my all-time favorite comic stories. I tracked down the whole series on eBay a few years back. Brought back a lot of memories. And even though "an ape in a Davey Crockett coonskin cap" sounds stupid, Gunpowder Julius (the aforementioned ape) and his trusty sidekick, Steely Dan (yes, you read that right. I figure Doug Moench must've been a fan), were 2 of the best parts of the entire series.
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    I'm not nearly the Mighty Mouse fan Pants is, but I do like arcane trivia (if for no other reason than to have ammo for lulls in conversation during cocktail parties) so here's an interesting nugget: Oil Can Harry - Mighty Mouse's feline foe - and also the name of a gay bar in L.A.'s San Fernando Valley, though that's for another post - is actually based on a similar-looking yet non-feline villainous cartoon character from the early 1930s - making him in some respects older than Superman, the very character Mighty Mouse was created to parody!