Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comic Splash Pages (are ALSO awesome!)

* How about a thread for great "splash pages"? Have I overlooked this?

Moon Knight splash from page 1 of Defenders #49
July 1977
Interior art: Keith Giffen pencils & Mike Royer inks

Keith Giffen’s art was polarizing on this run. He had great detail and dynamic action, but he openly emulated Jack Kirby's signature style. This was never never more prominent than when his pencils were finished by long-time Kirby inker Mike Royer in this issue. This was from the three-part “Who Remembers Scorpio” arc in Defenders #48-50. Keith Giffen penciled each issue (though with three different inkers, including his own inks in issue #50). As a team, Giffen and David Anthony Kraft had some storytelling mojo that still holds up after more than three decades.

Comments

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Thor and Hela from page 1 of Thor (v1) #190
    July 1971
    Interior art: Sal Buscema pencils & Joe Sinnot inks

This is part nine of an eleven part story that concludes Stan Lee's epic run on Thor, with issue #192. It's got great John Buscema art throughout and the story is a lot of crazy cosmic fun. Maybe some of this run will make it into the upcoming Ragnarok film?
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited April 2017
    Nobody did splash pages quite like Alex Toth did. The fact that he lettered them himself, ensuring that the type was an integrated part of the artwork, rather that merely sitting on top of the artwork, only added to how great his splash pages were.

More Toth, this one from one of the all-time great Batman stories.

edited April 2017
    Toth, from House of Secrets #83. The thought balloon follows the hero from his waking position to his rise to action. An interesting take on showing motion within a single panel.

edited April 2017
    Toth’s two-page title splash from Hot Wheels #1. Love his sound effects.

Love those 'Born Again' Daredevil splash pages, @nweathington!

Here's one of my favorites, also from the Frank Miller era.

Daredevil #170 (1981)
    Pencils Frank Miller with inks by Klaus Jansen

Miller’s incredible work on Daredevil is a style that's very familiar to fans of Will Eisner.

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    When I think of splash and double page spreads I immediately think of Grell's Warlord.

I generally think of Joe Kubert’s Tarzan.

• phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    So let me be the nitpicker..... but those are all great title pages.... but I always considered splash pages to be interior pages - either a full page or two pages.

phansford said:

So let me be the nitpicker..... but those are all great title pages.... but I always considered splash pages to be interior pages - either a full page or two pages.

According to How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way by Stan Lee and John Buscema (1978),
    ...a splash page is a large, full-page illustration which often opens and introduces a story or occasionally covers two pages. Often designed as a decorative unit, its purpose is to capture the reader's attention, and can be used to establish time, place and mood.
    For the purposes of this thread, I think any full page comic panel, full panel title page, or double-page spread should qualify.

Great splash pages, btw @phansford

Fantastic Four #57
    December, 1966
    Jack Kirby & Joe Sinnott

Dr. Doom manages to trick the Silver Surfer into standing in front of a device that steals the Surfer's power cosmic and gives it to Dr. Doom

For the purposes of this thread, I think any full page comic panel, full panel title page, or double-page spread should qualify.

A splash page is a splash page, regardless of its position in a book. Simple as that.

And if you really want to nitpick, page 1 of a book is still an interior page. ;)

(That’s a joke. I know what you meant.)
    Amazing Spider-Man #300
    Artist Todd McFarlane

Of course there are far better illustrated Spider-Man comics out there, but this one was a game-changer for me. I was doing reserve duty in the U.S. Navy back in 1988 when this came out. I happened to pick it up at the PX, having not read comics in a few years, but when I first opened the pages of this double-sized issue. I was immediately drawn back in. I really loved what Todd was doing with the artwork. It was exciting and fresh. And who knew the book would explode in value from $1.50 to a whopping $500+?!?!

The issue is both an ending and the beginning of a new era, and this splash page at the end of the book put Peter back in his traditional red and blues – demonstrating how all good stories tend to come full circle. One of my favorite comic book pages of all time - mainly for the nostalgia.
  • phansfordphansford Posts: 221

A splash page is a splash page, regardless of its position in a book. Simple as that.

And if you really want to nitpick, page 1 of a book is still an interior page. ;)

(That’s a joke. I know what you meant.)
    HA.... yeah glad you got the joke also. Not sure which emoji is for sarcasm. But then again.... growing up... my buddies and I never thought of the title page as a splash page, because every Marvel Comics had a full page title page. (typically). And it seemed that is was always Kirby that did that wild two page splash spread that just blew us away.
  • ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    edited April 2017
    From one of my all-time favorite series, Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN.
    The entrance to HELL, as depicted by Kelley Jones.

-chris
    edited April 2017
    A two page splash from Captain Victory #13 by Jack "King" Kirby

Has this ever been collected? It's the spiritual successor to his Fourth World tales.

Has this ever been collected? It's the spiritual successor to his Fourth World tales.

A collection was announced through Image a couple of times, but it was never published.

A collection was announced through Image a couple of times, but it was never published.
    Thanks Eric. As I recall, Dynamite put out their own Captain Victory mini back in 2014/2015. I suspect they don't have the reprint license for the originals so we shouldn't expect a collection any time soon. Too bad.

Thanks Eric. As I recall, Dynamite put out their own Captain Victory mini back in 2014/2015. I suspect they don't have the reprint license for the originals so we shouldn't expect a collection any time soon. Too bad.
    That Dynamite miniseries was actually really good. There were scenes that felt like they were really channeling Kirby—not in terms of the dialogue or the artwork, but the ideas and tone and vibe.

That Dynamite miniseries was actually really good. There were scenes that felt like they were really channeling Kirby—not in terms of the dialogue or the artwork, but the ideas and tone and vibe.
    I agree. I picked up the first few issues but failed to complete my run. Guess i should try to get around to that sometime.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited April 2017

This splash page is supposed to be the first time Byrne drew the X-men. Probably my first time seeing them.
    Speaking of Byrne splashes, how about Marvel Fanfare #29, where every page of the story was a splash page, whether it needed to be or not.

• aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    edited April 2017
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    Michael Golden - Micronauts #8 - 1979.
    One of the first comics I ever bought.