Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The LEGO Batman Movie

Opens this week, but they ran a lot of previews here in the UK this past weekend, so I got a chance to see it.

The best way to describe it is it's a Batman film about Batman rather than a film with Batman in it. And it shows just how easy it would be to add Robin to a Batman movie despite previous film makers' protestations. And how not having Robin means you are missing something from the Batman character. Plus: it's really funny.

On the downside, it comes up short in comparison to The Lego Movie (but so do most films) and you can definitely feel it trying to sell you Lego kits at points.

Avoid looking at cast lists before seeing the film, as there's some fun surprises and then additional fun ones after the film when you look them up.

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited February 2017
    Okay for a kid age 5 to go see? Mainly worried about language, not that some jokes will fly over his head.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    The Lego Movie was the greatest movie version of Batman EVER! I can't wait to see this.
  • Options
    heroeseliteheroeselite Posts: 2
    edited February 2017
    I agree with Brack, lucky enough to see it on Saturday, I will be seeing it again just to try and spot all the easter eggs as it was lots of frenetic fun and what they do with the Joker I thought was very clever to make it suitable for a children's movie.

As far as language goes I think the worst words would be "butt" and "darn"
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Torchsong said:

Okay for a kid age 5 to go see? Mainly worried about language, not that some jokes will fly over his head.

You'll be fine. It's a U certificate here, so considered suitable for 4 years old and up. "mild comic violence, rude humour, very mild bad language"
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Torchsong said:

Is there something I missed?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Torchsong said:

Is there something I missed?
    Nephew. I've got a court order forbidding me to breed. ;)

(No not really)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited February 2017
    It was Ok. Once you get past the easter eggs it's just a mess that lacks the fun of the Lego Movie.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Saw it today. I liked it. Not as good as the Lego movie (which I just watched for the first time last night).

I think there is enough in this movie to keep both kid and adult happy. They throw a lot visually on the screen for the kids in a very hyper manner. There were a couple of times I just wished the film would have slowed down during the action.

The easter eggs and inside jokes are many. Every era of Batman gets a moment and whoever made this movie loved the 60's tv show. Most of the cast was ok but Arnett does a great job with Batman.

Was it worth going to the theater to see? For me yes, but that mileage will vary for people. The more you already know about Batman going into this, the more you will enjoy this film. If you are just a casual Batman fan, it might be best to wait for this to come to Netflix.

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I liked it quite a bit. It was DC really having a laugh at the sometimes silly aspects of the Batman legend, in the same way that Enchanted was Disney's way of laughing at Disney princesses. Not as a great as a Pixar film but still better than your average animated kids' film.
  • Options
    If that movie was nothing but Batman being alone in the Batcave doing mundane stuff in his robe it would have been awesome! That being said I thought it was okay not as good as the Lego movie and I found Robin soooooooo annoying. Batman kicking butt in the beginning was my favorite part.
  • Options

If that movie was nothing but Batman being alone in the Batcave doing mundane stuff in his robe it would have been awesome! That being said I thought it was okay not as good as the Lego movie and I found Robin soooooooo annoying. Batman kicking butt in the beginning was my favorite part.

I think you are on to something. The film giving Batman a story arc with how he dealt with those close to him probably did bring the film down a little.

Batman solving a crime/fighting villians, more of him doing wacky loner stuff (the possibilities are endless) at home, and more of his rivalry with Superman would have made a good film even better.
  • Options

I think you are on to something. The film giving Batman a story arc with how he dealt with those close to him probably did bring the film down a little.

Batman solving a crime/fighting villians, more of him doing wacky loner stuff (the possibilities are endless) at home, and more of his rivalry with Superman would have made a good film even better.
    Batman microwaving lobster thermidor was the highlight of the film.
  • Options
    I dug it. Where is my Egghead Lego minifigure?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I enjoyed the hell out of it.

All the way from "Black" to "White"

I doubt any movie ever made has had more gags per second.
  • Options
    While not as well done as the Lego Movie or Lego Batman, the direct to dvd DC lego movies are pretty good.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Cute fun movie. Got quite a few chuckles out of it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    If you have an iPhone, summon Siri (the computer voice in the film) by saying "Hey, 'puter" in your best Batman voice. The results are quite cute.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

If you have an iPhone, summon Siri (the computer voice in the film) by saying "Hey, 'puter" in your best Batman voice. The results are quite cute.

Awesome. My kids are going to lose their minds when I show them this! Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Went and seen it again in the theater tonight. I probably enjoyed it more the second time. My girlfriend wanted to come. She usually does not care about superhero stuff (After Avengers 2 she said "What was the point of that and why should I care?"). She however loved Lego Batman. She especially thought the part with Batman microwaving lobster thermidor was hilarious.

• Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Better late than never...
    I've seen it several times. I love it. I laugh out loud (LOL, as the kids say) throughout the movie. A Michael Jackson quote ( I mean Batman quote) opens the movie, Billy Dee Two-face makes an appearance, Flying Monkies!!! Come on, what's not to love (pay no attention to the Babs/Bruno tension behind the curtain).

°Alfred Pennyworth: Were you looking at the old family pictures again?
    °Batman: No, I wasn't!
    °Alfred Pennyworth: Sir, I have seen you go through similar phases in 2016 and 2012 and 2008 and 2005 and 1997 and 1995 and 1992 and 1989 and that weird one in 1966.
    °Batman: I have aged phenomenally
  • Options
    “OK, guys- until I get back, rope’s in charge.”- Batman
  • Options

Went and seen it again in the theater tonight. I probably enjoyed it more the second time. My girlfriend wanted to come. She usually does not care about superhero stuff (After Avengers 2 she said "What was the point of that and why should I care?"). She however loved Lego Batman. She especially thought the part with Batman microwaving lobster thermidor was hilarious.

• Options

I forgot to quote CaptShazam.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Can you fill in the gaps of the Avengers: AoU sidebar. If she doesn't care about the genre, why would she see the movies? That's like me going to a musical or chick flick. The MCU is criticized for being bland & formulaic. How many movies has she seen where a bad guy tries to take over the world or destroy humanity and liked them?
  • Options
    Matt said:

Can you fill in the gaps of the Avengers: AoU sidebar. If she doesn't care about the genre, why would she see the movies? That's like me going to a musical or chick flick. The MCU is criticized for being bland & formulaic. How many movies has she seen where a bad guy tries to take over the world or destroy humanity and liked them?
    @Matt It is kind of complicated. She sees hardly any movies and until she discovered The Big Bang Theory about a year ago, she watched no tv. AoU is probably the only live action superhero movie she has seen. Due to a medical issue, she has severe short term memory issues which make watching movies difficult. She does enjoy the movie going experience as a whole and has started to want to watch more stuff. Outside of musicals, I have not figured out what type of movie genre she really likes yet. It is been over two years but movie watching is a relatively new thing for us.

She is coming around somewhat on superhero stuff. She will wear t-shirts of female characters and is generally supportive of my involvement in the hobby. Although she does roll her eyes at my comic book room.

She is excited about the Wonder Woman movie.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Ah, gotcha.

The Wonder Woman movie is probably the comic book movie I'm most looking forward to this year, as well.
  • Options
    neilzaneilza Posts: 12
    Matt said:

Ah, gotcha.

The Wonder Woman movie is probably the comic book movie I'm most looking forward to this year, as well.

Same! Looks amazing...if it lives up to the trailers, i'm expecting good things from JL on the back of it
  • Options
    neilza said:

Matt said:

Ah, gotcha.

Same! Looks amazing...if it lives up to the trailers, i'm expecting good things from JL on the back of it

"...if it lives up to the trailers..."
    My faith in trailers died with The Phantom Menace..