Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

Old Guard #3. I'm continuing to dig it. I'm not 100% certain that the resolution/cliffhanger at the end of #5, when it goes on hiatus, is going to be satisfying, but I'm continuing to read and love the book. Really enjoying the way that they're developing the backstories of the Guard.

Flash 21 was pretty good too. I feel like they may be slow-playing this a bit more than necessary, but I'm enjoying it.

On the flip side, please Gods, get JRJR away from Suicide Squad (and anything else that I might be inclined to read).

@hauberk, you are inside my mind. I am also not a fan of JRJR (every male face he draws, even some of his females, seem to be Lee Pace) and I am also digging Rucka's OLD GUARD, and while I also dug FLASH #21, I can already see that I'm going to prefer the chapters of "The Button" which take place in BATMAN instead. One general problem I have with the awesome character of Batman is that his writers usually must make any surrounding heroes seem less intelligent and/or entirely reactive to The Bat - and that happened here, sadly, within the pages of Flash's own title. I get it, they've got to work together on this case. But Barry still seemed so desperate to prove his own mettle around Bruce, it kind of annoyed me.

Speaking of Mr. Rucka, I have *finally* started to read LAZARUS and wow.
    I see where you're coming from on The Button.

I envy you your journey on Lazarus. I love everything about that book except for the glossy paper. I had the opportunity to page through the hardcover collection while at Rucka's booth at C2E2. Lots of additional backmatter beyond what was in the individual issues. I rarely double but a book but I will this time.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782

hauberk said:

Old Guard #3. I'm continuing to dig it. I'm not 100% certain that the resolution/cliffhanger at the end of #5, when it goes on hiatus, is going to be satisfying, but I'm continuing to read and love the book. Really enjoying the way that they're developing the backstories of the Guard.

Flash 21 was pretty good too. I feel like they may be slow-playing this a bit more than necessary, but I'm enjoying it.

On the flip side, please Gods, get JRJR away from Suicide Squad (and anything else that I might be inclined to read).

@hauberk, you are inside my mind. I am also not a fan of JRJR (every male face he draws, even some of his females, seem to be Lee Pace) and I am also digging Rucka's OLD GUARD, and while I also dug FLASH #21, I can already see that I'm going to prefer the chapters of "The Button" which take place in BATMAN instead. One general problem I have with the awesome character of Batman is that his writers usually must make any surrounding heroes seem less intelligent and/or entirely reactive to The Bat - and that happened here, sadly, within the pages of Flash's own title. I get it, they've got to work together on this case. But Barry still seemed so desperate to prove his own mettle around Bruce, it kind of annoyed me.

Spot on. Batmans issue was stronger than Flashs. I was cursing. Barry for being an ass and keeping details from Bruno. Who does that serve? Did he really think Bats was going to stay back and recuperate? Also, was Bruno in his bedroom and not the bat infirmary? Weird.

And you are correct about Lazarus..."wow" indeed. I look forward to a HC treatment a la Saga.

PS....love this image.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    popestu said:

And you are correct about Lazarus..."wow" indeed. I look forward to a HC treatment a la Saga.

There are two glorious hardcover editions out there.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

popestu said:

Yes, but I want an 18 or 20 issue tome.
  • Options
    popestu said:

hauberk said:

popestu said:

Yes, but I want an 18 or 20 issue tome.
    Given the backmatter that they're including - a tremendous amount of worldbuilding and process information, I'm not sure if that's forthcoming. Could be, but these are the editions that I'm going to grab for my shelf.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    edited May 2017
    The first two issues of American Gods are very good. Scott Hampton's work fells a bit tight, but it's still very good. The books reads well. Looking forward to this version of a story I really like.

Mighty Thor is always good.

I'm enjoying Rebels.

I forgot to mention Britannia, We Who Are About to Die #1. I'm surprised at how much I liked this. I usually don't like this kind of tight illustration. There are a few places where things get a bit wonky, but keeping things consistent while delivering so much detail is really tough. Well done.

• Options
    Jason Aaron continues to rock Thor. The most recent issue was no different
  • Options
    popestu said:

hauberk said:

Spot on. Batmans issue was stronger than Flashs. I was cursing. Barry for being an ass and keeping details from Bruno. Who does that serve? Did he really think Bats was going to stay back and recuperate? Also, was Bruno in his bedroom and not the bat infirmary? Weird.

PS....love this image.

imageimageimage
    I like how the Worlogog is just sitting on the floor.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    Well, I just read the latest chapter (3rd) of DC's "The Button" in BATMAN #22, and I'm starting to get grumpy, folks.

This was forced tease, mostly - like the previous chapter in FLASH #21 was. Neither installment has come close to the promise of how this crossover started in the awesome BATMAN #21. I guess there's only one more chapter, FLASH #22? Which I hear will be late in release. And even if this mini-event ends on a higher note, it's still clear that DC had only a tiny bit of story to stretch across too many comic books. At this point, some writer really needs to create an actual villain named "Decompression" so that I can get excited whenever any hero beats the living fuck out of it. Decompression is the most dangerous villain to hit comics in quite some time.
  • Options
    popestu said:

popestu said:

hauberk said:

PS....love this image.

imageimageimage
    I like how the Worlogog is just sitting on the floor.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Our Expanding Universeby Alex Robinson. Couldn't put it down, art and layouts are nice. At the end I only liked it. The resolution was meh'. However, life is often meh' ....maybe that's the point.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited May 2017
    Is there a thread for "What Trades did you read and like this week," I haven't read 2/3's of my collection. This is my bathroom library here...

Just read this
    Books to the Ceiling
    --by Arnold Lobel

Books to the ceiling,
    Books to the sky,
    My pile of books is a mile high.
    How I love them!
    How I need them!
    I'll have a long beard
    by the time I read them.
  • Options

This is my bathroom library here...

Your BATHROOM library? Holy Etruscan snoots, what does your main library look like?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Your BATHROOM library? Holy Etruscan snoots, what does your main library look like?
    Haha! Well, my office library is filled with mostly industry books, with a few geek related areas, and my nightstand is full of top of the pile tpbs, masterworks, and epic collections. I've got to find the time to read them all now. I don't think there's a collection I'm still hunting for though.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited May 2017

Whereas, I was thinking, "Good God, man! What do you eat? Whatever it is, you probably need more fiber."
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Whereas, I was thinking, "Good God, man! What do you eat? Whatever it is, you probably need more fiber."
    The trades are the extra fiber.
  • Options
    Well, I am bingeing my way through LAZARUS and I am besotted - BESOTTED, I TELL YOU! - with this title. Why didn't anyone tell me to read it sooner?!?! (haha I'm joking, people have been praising it forever) It finally dawned on me that LAZARUS is kind of like The Walking Dead for people who have outgrown zombies but still love to see how our world might operate after normal governmental & social structures have been erased. Add in Rucka's expertise with the military/industrial/science complex, plus fascinating characters and conflicts, plus Lark's realistic and kinetic artwork, and you get some pretty awesome comic booking. Bravo, LAZARUS.
  • Options

Well, I am bingeing my way through LAZARUS and I am besotted - BESOTTED, I TELL YOU! - with this title. Why didn't anyone tell me to read it sooner?!?! (haha I'm joking, people have been praising it forever) It finally dawned on me that LAZARUS is kind of like The Walking Dead for people who have outgrown zombies but still love to see how our world might operate after normal governmental & social structures have been erased. Add in Rucka's expertise with the military/industrial/science complex, plus fascinating characters and conflicts, plus Lark's realistic and kinetic artwork, and you get some pretty awesome comic booking. Bravo, LAZARUS.

Welcome aboard @BionicDave.
  • Options
    popestu said:

Welcome aboard @BionicDave.
    Indeed!
  • Options

Captain Britain and MI13 - Vol. 2: Hell Comes to Birmingham

I've heard great things for years about run. I picked it up for $2 @ my lcs. Gotta love fcbd deals
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Just read BUG! THE ADVENTURES OF FORAGER #1 and was so disappointed. While the artwork is gorgeous, and many of these Kirby characters are ones I've been wanting back in my reading world, I felt that the writing itself is... confusing, somewhat inaccessible, and generally off-putting. I have no desire to continue with this title. This is exactly how I felt after reading the first issues of Young Animal's DOOM PATROL and CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE. Clearly, this imprint is not for me :confused:
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I liked Bug! well enough. As you say, the art is fantastic. The dialogue not so much. Too many pop culture references (though I did like the paraphrasing of the GE motto Bug says while fighting General Electric). I didn't really find it confusing at all, though it was a bit herky-jerky. I’d give it a B overall. I'm going to keep going with it since it's only six issues.

As for the rest of the Young Animal books, I dropped Shade the Changing Girl and Doom Patrol, but I'm still getting Cave Carson, which is actually a fairly straight-ahead book.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Our Valued Customers - Bite the Hand
    Mr. Tim draws OVCs about people's reactions to OVC.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    If you like callbacks to Marvel continuity from long ago, Jason Aaron and Al Ewing have you covered this week.

Mighty Thor #19 wraps up the Asgard / Shi'ar War, while setting up the ongoing plot in Jean Grey's title, establishing a new status quo for Quentin Quire AND bringing back a classic Thor foe from the original Lee/Kirby run.

Royals #3 revisits Roy Thomas' origin of Black Bolt & Maximus from Avengers #95, adding a slight twist that goes some way to explaining Maximus' madness. And over in USAvengers #6, something happens that I suspect has to be a set up for a return of a long forgotten concept from X-Force.

Quasar gets eaten in at least 2 comics I read this week, so I'm guessing that's a spoiler for Secret Empire #3
  • Options

Gotta love .50 bins.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I got caught up on Paper Girls over the holiday, reading issues #6-14. What a fantastic series. Best time travel comic of all time? I think so. And the back matter things they do are awesome: The letters pages, the poster pages, the cryptopuzzles, and the surveys and contests besides being really fun, also add a metatextual layer to the book. I don't really have one book I can call my absolute favorite, but Paper Girls is certainly in that mix.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Big mad love to Chris for talking up Moonshine. I read the Vol.1 TPB this weekend. Really good stuff.
  • Options

I got caught up on Paper Girls over the holiday, reading issues #6-14. What a fantastic series. Best time travel comic of all time? I think so..

I love it, too. Though I love it like I love "Twin Peaks" - both are so complex and mostly an unsolvable mystery, their destinations may be impossible to reach... but the journeys alone are fun and fascinating. Chiang's artwork and Lynch's cinematography are equally divine. And BKVaughan ain't no slouch, either ;)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm reading through Bendis' Daredevil on the MU app. I had heard a lot of good stuff about this run but had never read any of it. It is really, really good! I'm glad that I have so much time to go back and catch up on things like this that I missed the first time around...thanks to most of Marvel's current output being a burning dumpster fire.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited May 2017
    The end of this week's The Unbelievable Gwenpool is a great bit of "only in comics" storytelling.

The best bit of Secret Empire #3 was a certain Superior Foe of Spider-Man showing up. Still feeling like the Secret Empire branded books are taking place in a future that is going to be undone by the end of the event. At least the ones taking place outside the Darkforce Dimension. There are too many bodies stacking up and weird character directions that will be hard to get past in future stories.

Though given that Spencer has referenced so much of Gruenwald's Cap run, maybe that's deliberate too. We'll just add Hydra Cap to Teen Cap, Capwolf and Armoured Cap. And the guy who goes in a weird direction this issue has been in a far weirder direction already.

It's a Hydra aligned Frank Castle, who has, of course, been Franken-Castle within mainstream continuity, so this is not that weird (or as good, Franken-Castle was amazing)