Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Wolverine Broke Time

Hey Everyone,
Consider the following.
Back in Age of Ultron Wolverine broke time. Tony Stark said so. Angela appeared; the Original X-Men showed up; Galactus is seen by Miles Morales; Blackbeard the Pirate was bombarded with cosmic rays; Spidy 2099 is hanging around; changes in the time stream have lasting effects instead of automatically creating alternate timelines. And then nothing.

Now, Hickman is destroying everything (everything dies; time runs out; secret wars) but the next Avengers movie is Age of Ultron. Also, the Apocalypse twins were sent to kill Colonel America when time was altered by Wolverine and the Invisible Woman.

Is any of this related? Does it matter? If AoU was so terrible (and it was) why use it for a movie?

I initially thought AoU was going to be a soft reboot. Marvel Now and whatever other silly subtitles came and went with only cosmetic changes to match the movies.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Whedon stated the movie is in name & villain only, no other connection to the mini-series event.

M
  • Options
    popestu said:

Hey Everyone,
    Consider the following.
    Back in Age of Ultron Wolverine broke time. Tony Stark said so. Angela appeared; the Original X-Men showed up; Galactus is seen by Miles Morales; Blackbeard the Pirate was bombarded with cosmic rays; Spidy 2099 is hanging around; changes in the time stream have lasting effects instead of automatically creating alternate timelines. And then nothing.

Now, Hickman is destroying everything (everything dies; time runs out; secret wars) but the next Avengers movie is Age of Ultron. Also, the Apocalypse twins were sent to kill Colonel America when time was altered by Wolverine and the Invisible Woman.

Is any of this related? Does it matter? If AoU was so terrible (and it was) why use it for a movie?

I initially thought AoU was going to be a soft reboot. Marvel Now and whatever other silly subtitles came and went with only cosmetic changes to match the movies.

What are your thoughts?

I disagree that it was terrible. I liked it and felt it was a solid event that had serious consequences. Your mileage may vary, but the branding, to me, shows the overall mood and storytelling of the MU.

Dark Reign was when the villains took over, Age of Heroes was them emerging from that, and so on. Age of Ultron is VERY Connected to Secret Wars (time is broken so aftereffects are STILL happening) and we will see how it all shakes out.

And while the movies aren't connected, the comics do tend to move in the direction of the movies more than they don't, which I am perfectly fine with.

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited February 2015

popestu said:

Hey Everyone,
    Consider the following.

What are your thoughts?

I disagree that it was terrible. I liked it and felt it was a solid event that had serious consequences.
    ...Age of Ultron is VERY Connected to Secret Wars (time is broken so aftereffects are STILL happening) and we will see how it all shakes out.
    Agreed!
    My impression is that the whole convergence, Secret Wars, "Time is Broken" thing is all connected. This upcoming Mega-event is a direct path from Age of Ultron.

And as an aside note... even though the current Wolverine is "dead" (spoilers), you just know that time displaced duplicate Wolverine that Logan left in that cave in the Savage Land (during Age of Ultron - more spoilers!) is going to resurface at some point. Probably sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Judging from this week's New Avengers, Wolverine is probably off the hook for breaking time...
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    So, was Age of Ultron integral to Secret Wars?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Nope

Thanks. Just making sure I didn't miss anything that might have changed everything.
  • Options
    Hickman's two Avengers books and the Infinity event lead into into Secret Wars though.
  • Options
    Thanks. I read them all. My sarcasm about Ultron failed to make it through my typed text
  • Options
    popestu said:

Thanks. I read them all. My sarcasm about Ultron failed to make it through my typed text

Oh, lol, got it ;-)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This was a waste of an event.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868

Even before it began, due it not beginning on time. Which is quite a feat. To be late before you start.

Am I right in thinking Bendis' X-Men run finished late too? Or he ran out of issues to tell the story he was telling before Secret Wars happened? Something like that.
  • Options

I know, right. It had such potential..