Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe/ Marvel NOW 2.0 (Might contain some spoilers)

1181920212224»

Comments

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited December 2016
    Well, I stand corrected @David_D . I did just cherry pick the copy because it was 2 years ago to the month. Out of curiosity to @Matt's question, I looked it up and was a bit surprised, but reported what I found. I should have dug a little deeper. I still believe a true Falcon book could do better than another guy in the Cap suit book still selling around 27k, but what do I know.

When I went back to compare apples to apples, it looks like that last volume of Captain America (2013) issue #6 from April sold 47,802 - about 1300 less than issue #6 of this recent volume in 2016. And then 8 months later at issue #14, it was selling just under 35k (about 7000 more copies than Captain America: Sam Wilson version of issue #14).

It's hard to keep track and measure a books market penetration with variants, special issues, and hard to follow retailer incentives sometimes.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Who would have ever seen this coming? :neutral:

http://www.cbr.com/secret-empire-10-issues-marvel/
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    At this point, it feels like Marvel build in the "We're going to need another issue!" element just to get another round of news coverage.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited May 2017
    I LOL'd when I got to paragraph #3
    Secret Empire #2 is possibly the best issue of the event so far
    Reminds me of the joke about the optimist who jumped off a building...
    "So far, so good!"
  • popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Commie smasher Cap? Time displaced Cap? Cap Red and Blue merged?
    popestu said:

Commie smasher Cap? Time displaced Cap? Cap Red and Blue merged?

As it's drawn by a completely different artist from the rest of the comic and looks rushed, I'm going with "Editorial Got Cold Feet Cap".
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Personally, I'm enjoying "Secret Empire." Well ... "so far," as they say :wink:. No, but seriously, I thought the whole story-line in "Captain America: Steve Rogers" was outstanding, and the idea that the allies used the cosmic cube to rewrite history to deny the Axis victory in WWII was very clever.

Not sure what the latest twist means. The military uniform doesn't look to be anything close to modern, and the fact he says he's trying to "get home" makes me think he's got to be from a different timeline. Perhaps when Kobik changed Steve back to his "original" Hydra self, she really "switched" the two, and the Steve that we know was transported to the universe where Hydra won? Idk, just spit balling.

On another note, can anyone shed some light on who, if anyone, is supposed to recall the Battleworld that Doom created in Secret Wars? It seems Doom himself recalls, no? And I assume our missing Fantastic Four members, since they're off creating new universes. Other than that, and a few random cases like that guy that Jessica Jones was investigating, nobody else remembers, right?
    edited May 2017

On another note, can anyone shed some light on who, if anyone, is supposed to recall the Battleworld that Doom created in Secret Wars? It seems Doom himself recalls, no? And I assume our missing Fantastic Four members, since they're off creating new universes. Other than that, and a few random cases like that guy that Jessica Jones was investigating, nobody else remembers, right?

The Maker, Molecule Man, and I think The Maestro. Al Ewing's books have been doing the real post-Secret Wars fallout.

Oh, and Gwenpool would know too as she's from our universe and would have read it.
    Brack said:

The Maker, Molecule Man, and I think The Maestro. Al Ewing's books have been doing the real post-Secret Wars fallout.

Oh, and Gwenpool would know too as she's from our universe and would have read it.

Thanks. I had forgotten about The Maker and Molecule Man. Haven't seen The Maestro in anything since then and had to Google what he's been up to. Thanks for that one.

As for Gwenpool, ... HA! I've never read the character and was unaware she's from our world. +1 for that answer.

So, wait ... what about the Squadron Supreme? They remember the incursions, but not Battleworld, right?
    edited May 2017
    There's another set of people are aware that the multiverse ended and was reborn, but weren't part of Battleworld.

The Contest of Champions establishes that the Elders of the Universe suspected that the multiverse had died and been reborn and when they they find Maestro in the ruins of his part of Battleworld it's confirmed. Not sure if their initial contest featured other left over beings from Battleworld or not. Doesn't really matter now, they are all dead but Maestro.

Thanos probably knows too, but his continuity has been a bit wobbly, in that his solo series doesn't seem to match up to his appearances in Ultimates and Thor.

He definitely remembers in his first appearance post-Secret Wars in Ultimates.

And cosmic beings higher than the Elders definitely know what happened and some (Galactus, The First Firmament, Logos, The Never Queen) know what's happened to Eternity after.

The Ultimates, Night Thrasher* and The Champions (Stick*, Aries*, White Fox, Guillotine and Outlaw) know about the Elders' Battleworld, but I'm not sure if they know the origins.

*All back from the dead! Or in some cases, arranged that they never died.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Have the Thing or Human Torch talked about what the rest of the FF are doing? I'm not reading anything Inhumans or GotG but I'm curious about what they know.
    This week's Black Panther reminded me that you can add him to the list of people who know the multiverse died. I forgot he took advantage of the rebuilding of the multiverse to fix some things at the end of the Secret Wars.

Also, all the spirits of the previous Black Panthers know, and from this week's Black Panther, the sorcerer Zawavari (from Hudlin's run) knows and used it to his advantage.

It's a good issue, but unfortunately suffers from Marvel's lack of editorial communication in that it uses a villain who is being used for entirely different purposes in Secret Empire.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    I haven't read a Marvel book consistently for like 5 or 6 years. And I've been trying to dip my toes in here and there. And I think it's just garbage and isn't for me at all.

edited July 2017
    So, here's something that's got me wondering ... in the "Secret Empire" storyline, we're told that Steve Rogers was originally a deep cover plant by Hydra and that this directly lead to the Axis powers (ie - Hydra) winning WWII. The Allies though, in order to stave off Hydra's victory, used the Cosmic Cube to over-write reality and create a false universe that we all knew as the mainstream Marvel universe. I wonder how this is supposed to jive with the fact that in Secret Wars, the entire mulit-verse was completely destroyed and then 1 brand new universe was created by ... er, actually, I can't remember who (Mr. Fantastic? Franklin Richards? Black Panther? Molecule Man? Man, this whole "getting old" thing sucks!) Eh, whatever. Point being, *somebody* created a new reality, and I wonder how that reconciles with the version of events in Secret Empire? Any thoughts?

Also, just spit-balling here, but given the prominent role that Reed and Sue's disappearance has been playing in the "Infamous Ironman" book, I wonder if Marvel is paving the way for their return in order to "fix" reality?

So, here's something that's got me wondering ... in the "Secret Empire" storyline, we're told that Steve Rogers was originally a deep cover plant by Hydra and that this directly lead to the Axis powers (ie - Hydra) winning WWII. The Allies though, in order to stave off Hydra's victory, used the Cosmic Cube to over-write reality and create a false universe that we all knew as the mainstream Marvel universe. I wonder how this is supposed to jive with the fact that in Secret Wars, the entire mulit-verse was completely destroyed and then 1 brand new universe was created by ... er, actually, I can't remember who (Mr. Fantastic? Franklin Richards? Black Panther? Molecule Man? Man, this whole "getting old" thing sucks!) Eh, whatever. Point being, *somebody* created a new reality, and I wonder how that reconciles with the version of events in Secret Empire? Any thoughts?

Also, just spit-balling here, but given the prominent role that Reed and Sue's disappearance has been playing in the "Infamous Ironman" book, I wonder if Marvel is paving the way for their return in order to "fix" reality?

Captain America-Prime created ripples in time by attempting to punch his way out of some Secret Wars battleworld

Doctor Doom is the Marvel Universe Time Trapper and he has created a pocket universe

Mr. Fantastic has gone insane, he now calling himself FantasticLax and is trying to remake the universe

Captain America went back in time in the new universe to stop the Red Skull from ever happening. He messed with the Cosmic Cube but something went wrong and now we have the Marvel Cap-Point Universe.

Captain America-Prime created ripples in time by attempting to punch his way out of some Secret Wars battleworld

Doctor Doom is the Marvel Universe Time Trapper and he has created a pocket universe

Mr. Fantastic has gone insane, he now calling himself FantasticLax and is trying to remake the universe

Captain America went back in time in the new universe to stop the Red Skull from ever happening. He messed with the Cosmic Cube but something went wrong and now we have the Marvel Cap-Point Universe.

Gotta admit ... didn't see any of that coming.

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2017
    Secret Empire doesn't make much sense unless you believe it was Franklin's intention to make Cap a Nazi, have the Axis win, and need the whole mess fixed by a cosmic cube.

edited July 2017
    I know, right? Hopefully, they've got an explanation mapped out for it. It'll probably end up being something along the lines of when Kobik worked her Cosmic Cube voodoo to change things back and make Steve Rogers young again, that she inadvertently based this new version on some leftover Battleworld fragment from an alternate reality. Er, or something like that.

Or, you know, maybe Franklin Richards is just secretly a Nazi.
    Until they say different, Cap was Cap right up until Kobik re-youthed him in Captain America: Sam Wilson (2015) #7.

After that point he had this new past where his mother died and he was raised by Hydra. Helmut Zemo also had his past rewritten, so he was now old enough to be a contemporary and friend of Steve's. A few others also had their pasts altered, i.e. the Daniel Whitehall version of Kraken. And at least one character was apparently created out of whole cloth - Elisa Sinclair.

Now, the presence of the time travelling Isaac Newton and Nostradamus in Secret Empire #0's prologue calls this into question. They've tampered with timelines before in Hickman's SHIELD.

That the prologue was drawn by Rod Reis, suggests the weird dreamlike portions with this other Cap in the series are connect to Newton, Nostradamus and the Deviant city of Ashomia.

That they did not appear in the earlier Cap stories that Spencer wrote, and Reis was not in the original solicits, suggests that plans may have changed since the story began. Hopefully those Reis sections will eventually make sense.

For what it's worth the latest issue of the Ultimates suggests everything is due to "Cosmic Cube Activity".

Regardless, The Future Foundation are off the hook for this one. Now, letting Molecule Man slice up The Maker and stick him in every universe like pepperoni, that one they might have to answer for...
    edited October 2017
    Marvel quadruple (or more) shipping Avengers January thru March is a bit much to ask, even for a Mark Waid book.