Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

mwhitt80 said:

Fun fact while looking at Spider-Man Omnibuses I checked the page count for the two clone saga books. Over 2500 pages.

I got the first one around Christmas and thought geez this is huge no wonder people complained that it went on forever. 1250 is a huge story, but 2 Omnibuses worth of material (solicit reads like there will be 3), no wonder people quit caring about comics

Breaking this down:

If a normal book is 22 story pages, then
    2500/22 = 133.6 issues. If this was a one title story that came out monthly (which I know it was not) then 133.6/12 = a story that is 9.4 years long.
    I'll just stick to Knightfall. Short and sweet...
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited May 2017
    luke52 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Fun fact while looking at Spider-Man Omnibuses I checked the page count for the two clone saga books. Over 2500 pages.

I got the first one around Christmas and thought geez this is huge no wonder people complained that it went on forever. 1250 is a huge story, but 2 Omnibuses worth of material (solicit reads like there will be 3), no wonder people quit caring about comics

Breaking this down:

2500/22 = 133.6 issues. If this was a one title story that came out monthly (which I know it was not) then 133.6/12 = a story that is 9.4 years long.
    Ok serious question....
    Knight fall/Quest/Return or Clone Saga or Death/Funeral/Reign?
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    mwhitt80 said:

luke52 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Breaking this down:

Ok serious question....
    Yes to both the Superman & Batman stories. No to Spiderman.

All had problems somewhere but there is more to like in the DC books.
  • popestupopestu Posts: 782

mwhitt80 said:

luke52 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Breaking this down:

Ok serious question....
    Yes to both the Superman & Batman stories. No to Spiderman.

All had problems somewhere but there is more to like in the DC books.
    Superman

Batman

Clones
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'd put Knightfall first. Bane is a great villain who out-thinks the Bat and puts him through the wringer (knowing he couldn't take him in a fair fight in his prime). I've always been a Jean-Paul Valley fan and it's fun watching his ascent/descent as he dons the mantle. Only criticism I have of the current packaging (the three big books) is there's nothing on how Bruce got his strength back. He just kind of shows up and is walking around again.

Superman's Death is a close second, though. Two great books (the non-stop fight of Death, the repercussions of Funeral) and one hot mess in Reign. A fun hot mess but a hot mess nonetheless.

I watched Suicide Squad Saturday on HBO.

It was uneven, unfocused, and poorly edited. It either needed to be the squad vs. the joker, or the Squad vs. Enchantress. They tried to make two movies into one and neither really worked as presented on screen.

But, I didn't hate it. Suicide Squad was a decent action movie that while flawed was watchable. I doubt I'll rewatch it so in the end it was ehhh.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited May 2017
    mwhitt80 said:

Ok serious question....

I dropped the Batman titles between “Knightfall” and “Knightquest” and haven’t bought them regularly since (with the exception of Morrison’s Batman Inc.). I dropped the Superman titles one month into “Reign” and haven’t bought them regularly since. I never even bothered looking at Spider-Man during the “Clone Saga”. Basically you’re talking about three of the biggest reasons I stopped buying Marvel and DC’s core titles.
    Torchsong said:

I'd put Knightfall first. Bane is a great villain who out-thinks the Bat and puts him through the wringer (knowing he couldn't take him in a fair fight in his prime). I've always been a Jean-Paul Valley fan and it's fun watching his ascent/descent as he dons the mantle. Only criticism I have of the current packaging (the three big books) is there's nothing on how Bruce got his strength back. He just kind of shows up and is walking around again.

Superman's Death is a close second, though. Two great books (the non-stop fight of Death, the repercussions of Funeral) and one hot mess in Reign. A fun hot mess but a hot mess nonetheless.

I really like bane as villain. I don't feel like he ever got a fair shake. He should be closer to Kingpin than King Kong.

The fight in the last two parts of Death of Superman was incredible, and that final image of Lois holding Supes is still Awesome.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

mwhitt80 said:

Ok serious question....

I dropped the Batman titles between “Knightfall” and “Knightquest” and haven’t bought them regularly since (with the exception of Morrison’s Batman Inc.). I dropped the Superman titles one month into “Reign” and haven’t bought them regularly since. I never even bothered looking at Spider-Man during the “Clone Saga”. Basically you’re talking about three of the biggest reasons I stopped buying Marvel and DC’s core titles.
    The last Spiderman story I cared about was Kraven's last hunt. Most of the main Marvel characters has seen some sort of resurgence at various times. Spider Man however, just seems like the character has become completely lost to me.

I still do follow Batman off and on. I stayed with Snyder's run until Bat-Gordon. I did pick up the Rebirth trades for both Detective and Batman but have not read them yet. There is jist too much Batman stuff to keep up with all of it, so usually I just stick with one or two titles for a time.

I have had nothing to do with the Superman since the new 52 started. I am not sure I even understand what the character is anymore.

The last Spiderman story I cared about was Kraven's last hunt. Most of the main Marvel characters has seen some sort of resurgence at various times. Spider Man however, just seems like the character has become completely lost to me.

I still do follow Batman off and on. I stayed with Snyder's run until Bat-Gordon. I did pick up the Rebirth trades for both Detective and Batman but have not read them yet. There is jist too much Batman stuff to keep up with all of it, so usually I just stick with one or two titles for a time.

I have had nothing to do with the Superman since the new 52 started. I am not sure I even understand what the character is anymore.

I've read quite a few Spidey stories since the Clone era, but it’s been stuff like Tangled Web and Spider-Man: Blue, and the one- and two-part fill-ins drawn by Lee Weeks or Marcos Martin or Javier Pulido back when it was a weekly.

When I dropped the Bat-titles after “Knightfall”, I had Batman Adventures to fill that void. I still hold that first series up as one of the best Batman runs ever. At this point I've read enough Batman stories that I don’t feel like I ever really need to read another.

As for Superman, I was much of a fan of the character anyway. I'll just keep my Superman: Seasons and All-Star Superman comics—they say everything about the character I need to know.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Netflix is developing a 10 episode prequel series called The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Director Louis Leterrier will executive produce and direct the series, along with the Jim Henson Company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzVYyV_Jsg
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I was planning on seeing Alien Covenant this afternoon (the big theater here in Bismarck had a showing listed on their website for 12:25). I go to the theater at noon, wait with a few other people for 15 minutes, and then finally, a manager comes out & says "Oh, we don't open until 3: 30".

:angry:
  • RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I saw Alien Covenant last night. It got a grade of B on the AV Club and I have to agree with that. Probably the third-best film in the series, well behind the excellent Alien and Aliens, of course, but very much like them in the sense of "desperate people fighting creatures for two hours." A lot to like and a few things which I'm not thrilled about, but a good film all in all.

Netflix is developing a 10 episode prequel series called The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Director Louis Leterrier will executive produce and direct the series, along with the Jim Henson Company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzVYyV_Jsg

I'm more excited by this than I should be.image
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    I apologize for going political, but it's only 7:05 AM, Monday and I've already heard the dumbest thing I will hear all day.

Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side is Transphobic.

"what"
    aquatroy said:

I apologize for going political, but it's only 7:05 AM, Monday and I've already heard the dumbest thing I will hear all day.

"what"

I'm sure they know nothing about Lou Reed, and probably “Walk on the Wild Side” is the only song by him they’ve ever heard. They can probably tell you everything you want to know about 21 Pilots, though. Fame is ever fleeting.

aquatroy said:

"what"

I'm sure they know nothing about Lou Reed, and probably “Walk on the Wild Side” is the only song by him they’ve ever heard. They can probably tell you everything you want to know about 21 Pilots, though. Fame is ever fleeting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KaWSOlASWc

aquatroy said:

"what"

Fame is ever fleeting.
    An apt comment when discussing any regular of The Factory.

New Runaways title coming...?
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    mwhitt80 said:

aquatroy said:

"what"

Fame is ever fleeting.
    An apt comment when discussing any regular of The Factory.
    "15 minutes"
    edited May 2017
    Got my milehigh email today.

I hate that milehigh got hammered in the hail storm. I can't imagine how much the damage is going to cost Chuck (but I'm sure he will tell us a number). I have no idea how much work it would take to go through his warehouse; it's almost mind boggling. I feel bad for the guy; I want everyone to do well.

Here's where my skepticism and buying experience comes in play. This probably has ended my milehigh buying; the last thing I want is a water damaged VF comic. I know it sounds silly, but if you have been on the buyer end of his loose grading standards, (I have a feeling his buying grades are a lot stricter) then you know it's a concern.
    If you live near an academy sports and like kayaking you might want to check out thier deals this week
    mwhitt80 said:

If you live near an academy sports and like kayaking you might want to check out thier deals this week

I’ve been on all kinds of boats, but I've never kayaked. Something about them makes me a little uneasy.
    edited May 2017
    I use a single person sit on top kayak. It's figuratively like you are sitting on the water. The sides are about 4 inches above the the water line, there are holes in the kayak for drainage, and unless the hull gets damaged (holes or gashes in the sides or bottom) you won't sink. You can get flipped over but to get back on you just right the kayak, grab one side, and pull up.

If you are interested rent one for a day and try it out. It's great exercise and a lot of fun.

My birthday is next Monday so I might pick up the 12 ft perception pescador from academy. It's $399.00 right now, and I want to upgrade my original kayak
    West Marine has a perception 10 foot pescador for $377.00; I've owned a 10 footer and have an 11.5 footer the 10 footer is like paddling a barge compared to the 12 footer. If you to West Marine I would recommend thier pompano 12 series; it's the same mold as the pescador 12 (which is an old wilderness system Tarpon 12 mold ).
    mwhitt80 said:

Got my milehigh email today.

I hate that milehigh got hammered in the hail storm. I can't imagine how much the damage is going to cost Chuck (but I'm sure he will tell us a number). I have no idea how much work it would take to go through his warehouse; it's almost mind boggling. I feel bad for the guy; I want everyone to do well.

Here's where my skepticism and buying experience comes in play. This probably has ended my milehigh buying; the last thing I want is a water damaged VF comic. I know it sounds silly, but if you have been on the buyer end of his loose grading standards, (I have a feeling his buying grades are a lot stricter) then you know it's a concern.

Loose? At times I've felt it's just random. I've gotten issues above the stated grade as well as below.
    edited May 2017
    Just had another wreck happen in front of our house. We’ve been here 16 and a half years now, and this is probably the eighth wreck. The curve leading to our house isn't all that sharp either, but it is pretty long. I don't know if the kid was drunk or not, or if he was just going too fast in the rain. He ran off before we could get out there to see if he was okay, leaving his truck on its side in our neighbor’s driveway.
    edited May 2017

Just had another wreck happen in front of our house. We’ve been here 16 and a half years now, and this is probably the eighth wreck. The curve leading to our house isn't all that sharp either, but it is pretty long. I don't know if the kid was drunk or not, or if he was just going to fast in the rain. He ran off before we could get out there to see if he was okay, leaving his truck on its side in our neighbor’s driveway.

I hate that; wish we had a dislike button. I hope the kid is okay, but I also hope he gets tracked down quickly.

We get about 3 to 4 wrecks a year beside my house.
    Last year was bad we had one kid flip a truck. I walked out of the house and was first there. He was okay fortunately. His truck was completely upside down. A few weeks later an elderly man crossed the white line in front of the house and got hit by a semi truck. He was not as fortunate. We got home in time for the clean up.
    mwhitt80 said:

Just had another wreck happen in front of our house. We’ve been here 16 and a half years now, and this is probably the eighth wreck. The curve leading to our house isn't all that sharp either, but it is pretty long. I don't know if the kid was drunk or not, or if he was just going too fast in the rain. He ran off before we could get out there to see if he was okay, leaving his truck on its side in our neighbor’s driveway.

I hate that; wish we had a dislike button. I hope the kid is okay, but I also hope he gets tracked down quickly.

We get about 3 to 4 wrecks a year beside my house.
    Last year was bad we had one kid flip a truck. I walked out of the house and was first there. He was okay fortunately. His truck was completely upside down. A few weeks later an elderly man crossed the white line in front of the house and got hit by a semi truck. He was not as fortunate. We got home in time for the clean up.
    Luckily we have not had any fatalities other than a few trees.