Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

RIP Roger Moore

GregGreg Posts: 1,946
Sir Roger Moore passed away today.

When I was younger he and Sean Connery were always trading spots as my favorite James Bond and he's still right up there today after Dalton, Brosnan and Craig took on the roll.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    I just heard this on the radio. He was Bond as I was growing up, and my dad and I never missed a Bond movie—they were some of our best “Bond-ing” moments, if you'll forgive the pun. He’s near the bottom of my Bond actors list now (though part of that is probably the fault of the scripts he had to work with, and because he stayed in the role too long), but there will always be the nostalgia factor.

I remember seeing a couple of episodes of The Saint on the old CBS Late Movie show back in the early ’80s, and thinking he was better suited for that role. Maybe it was because he was younger, maybe it was because there’s more humor built into the character than there is with Bond, but I think he was a better Saint than he was a Bond.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    While overall, I preferred Connery to Moore, The Spy Who Loved Me is my favorite Bond film. It just worked for me.

Besides Bond, what I remember Moore for is Cannonball Run. I probably saw him parody Bond before I actually saw him as Bond.

I actually thought Moore was older. For some reason, I thought he was around 100.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946

While overall, I preferred Connery to Moore, The Spy Who Loved Me is my favorite Bond film. It just worked for me.

Besides Bond, what I remember Moore for is Cannonball Run. I probably saw him parody Bond before I actually saw him as Bond.

I actually thought Moore was older. For some reason, I thought he was around 100.

Shame on me forgetting about his role in Cannonball Run. Great call out there.
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    For me, Sean Connery will always be the Bond. But Roger Moore will always be my Bond.
    Rest in peace Sir.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    It's weird that Connery is actually the younger of the 2 Bond actors. I liked Moore's earlier run at Bond then the later ones; The Spy Who Loved Me (specifically because of the original Agent Triple X). There's a special where Lazenby discussed how he tried to mirror Connery, whereas Moore's first run tried to distance itself.

He added an interesting part to the Bond character. Brosnan is still my favorite 007. He was a great amalgam of what Connery, Moore, & Dalton specifically brought to the role.

I'll have to look into the Saint episodes. I do find it fascinating that Brosnan's Bond had a Remington Steele aspect. I wonder if Moore's Bond has a Simon Templar aspect too.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Matt said:

I'll have to look into the Saint episodes. I do find it fascinating that Brosnan's Bond had a Remington Steele aspect. I wonder if Moore's Bond has a Simon Templar aspect too.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen them, but I think that’s probably true. Moore’s Bond is a bit more light-hearted than other portrayals, again owing much to the scripts, but some of that could be a carry-over from The Saint.

An interesting sidenote, there was a report in the mid-’80s that Moore was trying to produce a Saint movie, and he wanted Brosnan to star.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm in my early 40's so Moore was my first Bond. His outings weren't always the greatest but they were fun. But more importantly he was a better human being
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    My favorite Moore outing as Bond was For Your Eyes Only. It was the first Bond film I actually saw in theaters and I've seen it at least 20 times ore more. People say Moore's Bond was always silly, but he actually had several moments of seriousness and suspense that I think get overlooked.

Bond movies rarely have any real suspense, especially after Bond became a superman, and there was way too much of the bombastic score and wacky vehicle hijinks, too many quips and bon mots, to sustain real suspense and fear. And honestly, it began with Connery in his last few outings.

But in this scene of suspense from For Your Eyes Only, Bond has to scramble desperately (and use some cool shoelace-hitching to climb up the rope rapidly) to get into a position where he even has a hope of survival.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FDX6_BSas8
    Another suspenseful FYEO scene, (this one was actually lifted from the novel Live and Let Die) and was one of the few really suspenseful scenes in all of Bond's history, with Bond stuck in a really bad situation with lots of time for fear to build and he improvises a way to survive which could actually work.

https://youtu.be/PPwud5IUnYs

Exhibit Z of why the villain shouldn't have tried killing Bond in a clever way, but should just have SHOT HIM IN THE FACE. As usual. Will they never learn?

Rest In Peace, Roger Moore, a spy, a knight and a gentleman.