Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Burnt Out

I just wanted to see if anyone else feels like I do. I've been reading comics for a long, long time and I'm just tired of them. There are very few titles I actually enjoy reading these days, but I continue to read them mostly out of habit and because I don't want to get behind. I don't have much free time so I have also come to resent them because they take me away from other things I actually want to read. I'd like to stop reading current stuff for a while and go back and read some of the old stuff that I'm actually interested in. Pants recently said he only reads a few issues from the big two, but I'm having trouble cutting it off. Comments or advice? Thanks

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Here’s what I did back in the mid-’90s when I was in a similar state of mind:

1) Stack your weekly comics from your least favorite to your favorite, with your least favorite on top and your favorite on the bottom.
    2) Read said comics.
    3) If at any point you find yourself struggling to get through a comic so that you can get to the ones you like most, make a note of it. If it happens twice in a row with the same book, drop that book.
    4) For every two books you drop, try one new book, stacking it on top the first time, and as you like or dislike it thereafter.
    5) Rinse and repeat.

After four or five months of this you should have a list of comics you're excited to read. Or you'll stop reading comics altogether.
  • Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368

I just wanted to see if anyone else feels like I do. I've been reading comics for a long, long time and I'm just tired of them. There are very few titles I actually enjoy reading these days, but I continue to read them mostly out of habit and because I don't want to get behind. I don't have much free time so I have also come to resent them because they take me away from other things I actually want to read. I'd like to stop reading current stuff for a while and go back and read some of the old stuff that I'm actually interested in. Pants recently said he only reads a few issues from the big two, but I'm having trouble cutting it off. Comments or advice? Thanks

What is it you don't like about the current comics you're reading? Have you mostly been following the same books or have you tried variety?
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Unfortunately, I have limited data to make strong assessment. For me, Batman & Spider-man are the anchors for their respective company. If I'm not reading the anchor, then I read nothing else from the company*.

Grant Morrison's interpretation following OYL was enough for me to cut anchor. Brand New Day was enough for me with Spidey. Even after a few months I did not miss reading either.

* I do read Moon Knight from Marvel, but he's always felt like a fringe character. His titles get cancelled about the time I feel it's time to jump ship too.

Is your burn out just the Big 2 or in general? I always suggest reading independents when the Big 2 go off the rails for someone. In my experience, Dynamite Entertainment generally does well with characters. The art sometimes seem like it's by people just breaking into the business, but the titles are like TV series on FX or USA; limited. Their books could be cancelled at any time, so they don't really give you "filler" issues.
  • RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I read very few current comics but read a lot of older stuff and non-Big Two titles in trades. So I'm not current on the DC and Marvel universes but it saves me money and aggravation.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Pants recently said he only reads a few issues from the big two, but I'm having trouble cutting it off. Comments or advice? Thanks

Just rip the bandage off. I just dropped the last of my Marvel ongoing titles. I still occasionally pick up a collection, and I still comb through old trades and floppies now and again off eBay or back issue bins.

I'd like to stop reading current stuff for a while and go back and read some of the old stuff that I'm actually interested in.

Do this. If this is what you'd like to do, then my humble advice to you would be to follow your gut. Stop wasting your time on the current stuff and go back and check out the old material.

Life's too short to "hate read" over-priced, over-rated comics.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I would say I'm not going through "burn out" but more "being overwhelmed". My home recently flooded and as I hurriedly boxed up and moved stuff I realized how many books I owned that I will likely never read again, how many books I had bought with the intention to read "someday", and how many books I still have to get to, but wonder when on this planet I'll ever have the time to do it.

I still love comics, but I think I've dug myself into a hole from where there'll be no return. :D
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Torchsong said:

I would say I'm not going through "burn out" but more "being overwhelmed". My home recently flooded and as I hurriedly boxed up and moved stuff I realized how many books I owned that I will likely never read again, how many books I had bought with the intention to read "someday", and how many books I still have to get to, but wonder when on this planet I'll ever have the time to do it.

I still love comics, but I think I've dug myself into a hole from where there'll be no return. :D

Is there an exit strategy? Asking for a friend.. .
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Torchsong said:

I am in the same situation. Eventually, I will just stop buying stuff due to costs, space issues, and having everything I want. Sooner or later, every old run of stuff I want from the big 2 will be collected* and I am not that attached to the current stuff.

*I have been saying this for 3 or 4 years now. Marvel & especially DC keep finding more stuff to collect to keep me in the hobby.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

Is there an exit strategy? Asking for a friend.. .

According to the missus it's "Don't buy any more and get rid of the ones you have!"

Like she knows anything... :smiley:
  • KeeganKeegan Posts: 21
    I understand where you are coming from AlbertCampion. I have been reading comics all my life, I'm now 46.
    I realized the other day most of the books/writers/artists I'm reading I have nothing in common with in life. Political, Religious, Moral or otherwise. If I knew these creators on a personal level we would not have the same circle of friends.

Case in point. The Saga 25 cent issue. I have heard for years how this was a must read book. I gave it a try because it was so cheap. The issue had abortion, little girls asking about a transgender's "penis", poop turning into monsters. I was totally turned off! The back page has a survey to mail back in for a contest. Some of the questions..."where do you fall on the 1948 Kinsey Scale of Human Sexuality?" "What kind of kisser are you?" "Well, what do you think of Trump?". I just sighed and threw the comic in my get rid of pile.
    I read comics to be entertained, but the industry seems to be using comics to proclaim personal social agendas. It's harder and harder for me to find a comic world that I enjoy and want to read every month.
    I know some of you think I'm being prudish. But I do have some books I enjoy. Kill or Be Killed, Moonshine, Descender, Animosity to name a few.
    Please do not take these comments as an attack on anyone, this is only an opinion from one comic reader. Felt like I needed to get this stuff out.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I read everything in trade these days old and new. Older material it's just to read a well known story. For new I look to you guys.
    edited June 2017
    Keegan said:

I understand where you are coming from AlbertCampion. I have been reading comics all my life, I'm now 46.
    I realized the other day most of the books/writers/artists I'm reading I have nothing in common with in life. Political, Religious, Moral or otherwise. If I knew these creators on a personal level we would not have the same circle of friends.

You're not alone, @Keegan. I'd prefer the creators' political agendas weren't so blatantly "on the nose," but whether it's Saga, or any handful of Marvel titles pushing a particular social activism, I just drop the books I don't like and I move on. Life is too short to spend your money on material you find distasteful or insulting. And I have no problem dropping a book if it doesn't align with my tastes and preferences. I want to be entertained, not challenged. It's disheartening when you paid full price only to be disappointed, but for a quarter to discover Saga isn't for you? That's a good deal. My monthly DCBS order still hovers around $100, so I'm still managing plenty to add to my reading list that align with my preferences. And Saga is not on my list.
    Keegan said:

I know some of you think I'm being prudish. But I do have some books I enjoy. Kill or Be Killed, Moonshine, Descender, Animosity to name a few.
    Please do not take these comments as an attack on anyone, this is only an opinion from one comic reader. Felt like I needed to get this stuff out.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Most people welcome a diversity of opinion on these boards. And those four titles you just singled out are all great reads. Stick with those a while and stick around.
    Keegan said:

Case in point. The Saga 25 cent issue. I have heard for years how this was a must read book. I gave it a try because it was so cheap. The issue had abortion, little girls asking about a transgender's "penis", poop turning into monsters. I was totally turned off! The back page has a survey to mail back in for a contest. Some of the questions..."where do you fall on the 1948 Kinsey Scale of Human Sexuality?" "What kind of kisser are you?" "Well, what do you think of Trump?". I just sighed and threw the comic in my get rid of pile.
    I read comics to be entertained, but the industry seems to be using comics to proclaim personal social agendas. It's harder and harder for me to find a comic world that I enjoy and want to read every month.

Truthfully, even when I do agree with the political point of view, I still get taken out of the storyline (or news article). I always think, "I have my political opinions, I don't need you to preach yours."
    I don't mind a comic having a political point of view, as long as it done organically with the story and is well written. Some comic writers can do that well, many more cannot. Basically, I just want to read a good story, political or otherwise.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    We all go th

I'd like to stop reading current stuff for a while and go back and read some of the old stuff that I'm actually interested in.

I've dropped all new Marvel books but I subscribe to the Marvel Unlimited service. This allows me to read all those great runs I've heard so much about but never got around to checking out. If a new book does come along that sounds good I can always check it out when it's released on the app. If you're not against digital I think it can be a real good option for those not interested in what Marvel is currently publishing.

I also have tons..no, TONS, of trades and HCs that need reading and it's always helped me when I felt burnt out to take a break and read a couple of those. If I come back and a comic still isn't doing it for me I drop it.

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Between too many reboots, too many events, too many titles, too much bland, over-rendered art, too many issues to tell any given story, too many dollars per issue, and too many other interests besides comics, my interest in the Big Two Universes is essentially dead.

Right now, the only Marvel book on my pull list id the soon-to-be-cancelled Silver Surfer. The only DC book us the limited series Bug.

Furthermore, I have gotten out of the habit of reading my books as soon as I get them, which has led to a nigh-insurmountable pile of unread books. There are a couple series like Astro City that I will keep on my pull list just to do my small part to keep them being published, but the trade paperback has become my preferred format for reading--a surrender to the fact that writing for the trade is here to stay.

So yeah, I relate to your burnout.
  • I didn't want to say exactly what has lead to my feeling of burnout, but WetRats hit the nail on the head. Everything seems to be so decompressed and unfocused these days.

I hate to say it but the innerwebs might be contributing to my burnout too. Back in the olden days I talked to friends occasionally about what we were reading, but I only read what I was interested in, even if it wasn't popular. But now I read posts and articles, and listen to this and other podcasts, and feel some some pressure to keep up with books I'm really not interested in. This is my own fault for feeling this way and I'm trying to do better.
    WetRats said:

Between too many reboots, too many events, too many titles, too much bland, over-rendered art, too many issues to tell any given story, too many dollars per issue, and too many other interests besides comics, my interest in the Big Two Universes is essentially dead.

Right now, the only Marvel book on my pull list id the soon-to-be-cancelled Silver Surfer. The only DC book us the limited series Bug.

Furthermore, I have gotten out of the habit of reading my books as soon as I get them, which has led to a nigh-insurmountable pile of unread books. There are a couple series like Astro City that I will keep on my pull list just to do my small part to keep them being published, but the trade paperback has become my preferred format for reading--a surrender to the fact that writing for the trade is here to stay.

So yeah, I relate to your burnout.

My DCBS order went from $150-200 when CGS first started & the last several years it's been $10-$12. There are shipments with only 1 book at times...and it still sits for a week or so before I read it. And these aren't even trades!
    edited June 2017

I didn't want to say exactly what has lead to my feeling of burnout, but WetRats hit the nail on the head. Everything seems to be so decompressed and unfocused these days.

I hate to say it but the innerwebs might be contributing to my burnout too. Back in the olden days I talked to friends occasionally about what we were reading, but I only read what I was interested in, even if it wasn't popular. But now I read posts and articles, and listen to this and other podcasts, and feel some some pressure to keep up with books I'm really not interested in. This is my own fault for feeling this way and I'm trying to do better.

That's definitely why I stopped reading the Big2. The "events" that feel anti-climatic are really what sealed my decision years ago. Blogs, forums, the show, etc. at least keep me somewhat aware of what's happening. They never seem to be interesting enough for me to pick up the issues or trades.

Don't blame yourself. I blame the subpar, bland, reused stories put out for some ridiculous cost.
    Maybe that’s why I haven’t experienced that burnout since the ’90s. When I started my critical buying process, for the most part I stopped getting the core titles of the Big Two. I stopped buying the Event series and crossovers. When an Event crosses over into a title I happen to be reading, I feel no compunction to go out and get that Event book to “complete” the story. I'll just read enough online or in previews to know enough of what’s going on for the context of what I'm reading, and go about my business.

And it probably helps that I follow creators much more than characters, and the characters I tend to like most are quirkier B-listers whose books tend to stay on the fringes of Events rather than be caught up in the middle of them. It means there will always be only a handful of Big Two titles I’m interested in at any given time, and those titles will rarely last more than a year or two, but it also means I’m not reading an endless cycle of editorial-driven crisis after crisis.
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Maby just give up reading comics altogether for a while. Give yourself a chance to miss them.

And it probably helps that I follow creators much more than characters...

I've been thinking about this since I read this post. It has occurred to me that I don't do that with any form of entertainment. There are writers, artists, actors/actresses, directors, etc. that I like, but if the project doesn't interest me, I feel no alliance to consume it because I'm a fan.

That's probably also why I've read a lot of crap storylines for Batman & Spider-man (now Moon Knight & the Shadow) over the years.
    Matt said:

I've been thinking about this since I read this post. It has occurred to me that I don't do that with any form of entertainment. There are writers, artists, actors/actresses, directors, etc. that I like, but if the project doesn't interest me, I feel no alliance to consume it because I'm a fan.

I follow creators in every form of entertainment. Not because I feel an alliance, per se, but because I trust those creators to deliver a good story, regardless of the characters, genre, etc. One of my favorite science fiction writers is Iain Banks. He also wrote “literary” fiction, and I’ve read and very much enjoyed those books even though I generally prefer science fiction. I’ll watch anything Terry Gilliam or Wes Anderson directs regardless of the subject matter or the cast because I like their storytelling style.

And there are varying degrees to which I'll follow a creator. For instance, I think Mark Waid is one of the best comic book writers out there, but if Mark is writing an Avengers book or an X-Men book where I know there will be a lot of crossovers, I'll pass. Anything else, I’ll give it a shot.

That’s not to say I don’t have my favorite characters. I’m a sucker for Aquaman, and I’ll give just about any Aquaman book the benefit of the doubt. But if you stick Scott Lobdell and Rob Liefeld on the book, I’m not even going to sample it. I have no qualms with dropping a book I've collected for years if the book changes in a way I'm not happy with.

I don’t collect titles or characters. I collect stories.
    Tonebone said:

If current To summarize... don't feel bad... it's not you, it's them. Dump em.

#TRUTH