Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Starz is developing Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' into a series

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/02/american-gods-starz-bryan-fuller/

American Gods is coming to Starz.

The premium cable network has announced a deal for script-to-series development for the acclaimed fantasy novel American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

The pilot script will be written by Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Pushing Daisies, Heroes) and Michael Green (The River, Kings, Heroes), who will also be the showrunners of the series. They will executive produce along with Gaiman. The 2001 novel—which has been translated into more than 30 languages—centers on a brewing war between old and new gods: the traditional gods of biblical and mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity, and drugs.

“When you create something like American Gods, which attracts fans and obsessives and people who tattoo quotes from it on themselves or each other, and who all, tattooed or not, just care about it deeply, it’s really important to pick your team carefully: you don’t want to let the fans down, or the people who care and have been casting it online since the dawn of recorded history,” Gaiman said in a statement. “What I love most about the team who I trust to take it out to the world, is that they are the same kind of fanatics that American Gods has attracted since the start. I haven’t actually checked Bryan Fuller or Michael Green for quote tattoos, but I would not be surprised if they have them. The people at Fremantle are the kinds of people who have copies of American Gods in the bottom of their backpacks after going around the world, and who press them on their friends.”

“Neil Gaiman has created the holiest of holy toy boxes with American Gods and filled it with all manner of magical thing, born of new gods and old,” Fuller said in the same release. “Michael Green and I are thrilled to crack this toy box wide open and unleash the fantastical titans of heaven and earth and Neil’s vividly prolific imagination.”
Was disappointed when HBO announced they had dropped plans to do this series, so I was totally psyched when I read this morning that Starz had decided to pick it up. Great, great book. Tells the story of a war between the old gods of mythology and the new gods of technology. An excellent read.

Comments