Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1657 Talkback - June 2017 Previews

Time once again for Previews. In this episode we go through the June 2017 catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in August. (1:03:44)

Listen here.

Comments

• aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Thank you, gentlemen!
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Thanks for including the items you're ordering guys. It's an interesting insight to your comics tastes.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    David Rubín is just doing a fill-in issue of Black Hammer. The regular artist is Dean Ormston. Ormston’s doing a fine job, though I certainly wouldn’t mind if Rubín made more guest appearances. That guy is fantastic.

And speaking of Rubín, I believe he pronounces it “rue-BEAN”. Put another quarter in the jar while you’re at it—Chabon is pronounced “SHAY-bonn”.

Really looking forward to Mister Miracle. He's my favorite (along with the Demon) of Kirby’s DC creations. Tom came up to our booth at last year’s New York Comic-Con and quizzed us on the Fourth World, though of course he couldn't say anything other than it was for a book he was going to be working on, so I’ve been waiting for an announcement. I think Tom will do wonders with a character like Scott Free.

@Pants, the Golden Age Green Arrow stories are some of the dullest comics you'll ever read. Track down that Kirby collection if you can, because that's all you really need, and save your dough.

My Marvel reading is drastically being reduced. Not because I'm dropping titles necessarily, but because they're being cancelled or getting new creative teams I'm not interested in. Power Man & Iron Fist, Moon Knight, Dr. Strange, Patsy Walker, aka Hellcat, and now Silver Surfer—I think that leaves me with only four Marvel books. These things run in cycles, but I wish this creative cycle had lasted a little longer. Still, it was great while it lasted.
  • ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    Always a joy listening to the Previews episodes. I'm about 1/3 through, but had a slight correction.

According to the copy in Previews, the Fourth World Omnibus does not include Mister Miracle. However, Mister Miracle is solicited as a separate TPB in the same issue of Previews.

Still on the fence about both, since I don't like huge omnibus editions, and I have all this material in the B&W trades from forever ago.
  • KeeganKeegan Posts: 21
    Thank you guys for the insight into what you actually buy!
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552

Really looking forward to Mister Miracle. He's my favorite (along with the Demon) of Kirby’s DC creations. Tom came up to our booth at last year’s New York Comic-Con and quizzed us on the Fourth World, though of course he couldn't say anything other than it was for a book he was going to be working on, so I’ve been waiting for an announcement. I think Tom will do wonders with a character like Scott Free.

Agreed.
    Mister Miracle is one of those characters that 1 really like, but don't know why. I'm hoping that Mr. King gives me justification for my affection for the character.
  • Great episode! Thanks for including all your books. The insight is valuable.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Well, I'll be getting my usual haul this month with a few notable exceptions, all of which (so far) were pointed out by the CGS crew in this episode. For example, I wasn't planning on getting that new Tom King Mr.Miracle book at DC, but as Pants mentioned with the Vision, I don't really wanna scramble around looking for back issues if it is good. So, I want to give it a shot (who knows? It might not pan out for me...sort of like Omega Men). Then, also thanks to Pants for pointing out there is a DCBS bundle for the Generations books at Marvel (Grrrrr! I was only planning on getting the Thor one and maybe the Wolverine one, but if they all can figure into my budget thanks to the bundle, I'll get them). And finally, that cat comic (was it Garfield and Angry Cat or Heathcliff or...?) has me intrigued! I don't remember what it was but I'll look for it. There were a few other things that Murd brought up that could get on my list, but other than that, also a light month for me. Oh, and as others have commented above: Thanks for mentioning your picks!
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited June 2017
    @Adam_Murdough was underestimating Mark Evanier's abilities with regards to Garfield, he wrote or co-wrote (with Sharman DiVono) every single episode of Garfield and Friends. And directed the voice cast on every episode.

That credit repetition was how I recognised his name when I later picked up an issue of Groo.