Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The 2017 Reading Thread - THE ULTIMATE EDITION - July

Got way off track in June. Part of your house flooding will do that to you. Let's get back on track in July!

Rules are simple: Log everything you've read this year. Just edit your existing post or you (and we) will get confused trying to keep up. Bold the stuff you really dig. At the end of each month I'll start a new thread and you can pick a "winner" from your favorite books. You can focus on just trades (which is usually what I do), or just write about the good stuff you've read, or go completely nuts (like I plan to this year) and log EVERYTHING you read.

January Lists: http://thecomicforums.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3887/the-2017-reading-thread-the-ultimate-edition-january#latest
February Lists: http://thecomicforums.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3899/the-2017-reading-thread-the-ultimate-edition-february#latest
March Lists: http://thecomicforums.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3915/the-2017-reading-thread-the-ultimate-edition-march#latest
April Lists: http://thecomicforums.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3933/the-2017-reading-thread-the-ultimate-edition-april#latest
May Lists: http://thecomicforums.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3948/the-2017-reading-thread-the-ultimate-edition-may#latest
June Lists: http://thecomicforums.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3970/the-2017-reading-thread-the-ultimate-edition-june#latest

Comments

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited July 2017
    January Winner: Sensational She-Hulk: The Return (Marvel)
    February Winner: Vampirella Masters Vol. 1: Morrison & Millar (TPB)(Dynamite)
    March Winner: Holy Corpse Rising Vol. 2 (Seven Seas) (Manga)
    April Winner: Supergirl Vol. 2 (Peter David Run) (DC)
    May Winner: Motor Girl Vol. 1 (Abrstract)
    June Winner: Delicious in Dungeon Vol. 1 (Manga)

July Books:
    Batgirl: Rebirth TPB Vol. 1 (DC)
    Hawkworld (TPB)(DC) - Holy crap why did it take me so long to read this? It's amazing!
    Holy Corpse Rising Vol. 3 (Manga)
    Dorohedoro Vol. 21 (Manga) (Viz)
    Doctor Aphra Vol. 1 (Marvel) (TPB)
    DC SuperHero Girls Vol. 3 (DC) (TPB)
    Injustice Gods Among Us Year 5 Vol 2 (DC) (TPB)
    Please Tell Me! Galko-chan! (Manga) (Seven Seas)
    The Girl from the Other Side Vol. 1&2 (Manga) (Seven Seas)
    Cells at Work Vol. 2 (Manga) (Seven Seas)
    Empowered Vol. 10 (Dark Horse) (TPB)

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited August 2017
    January Winner: Ether #2-3
    February Winner: Dept. H #1-11
    March Winner: Royal City #1
    April Winner: Royal City #2
    May Winner: Paper Girls #6-14
    June Winner: Moon Knight #11-14

July Books:
    Kaijumax: Season One TP
    Plutona #1-5
    Ragnarök #5-12
    Roughneck OGN
    Rumble #6-10
    Saga vol. 3-7 TP
    Valerian: The Complete Adventures, vol. 1
    Velvet vol. 2-3 TP
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited August 2017
    The "holy crap we're already half way through the year!!!" edition...

January winner: Doctor Strange: The Oath.
    February winner: Aquaman vol. 8
    March winner: X-O Manowar #1
    April winner: Doctor Strange
    May winner: Ninjak - Matt Kindt has delivered another great Valiant series here
    June winner: AD: After Death

July books...

Fairy Tail vol.1-12
    Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill tpb
    Harbinger Renegade #5 - bit of an anti climax after all the hype
    Civil War 2 tpb
    Paper Girls #11-15
    Constantine #7-10
    Saga #43-44
    Dark Days: The Forge
    Dark Days: The Casting
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited July 2017
    January Winner: West Coast Avengers Omnibus vol 1
    February Winner: New Teen Titans Omnibus vol 2
    March Winner: Winter Soldier: The Complete Collection
    April Winner - Three way tie - Strangers in Paradise Omnibus book 2, Astro City: Family Album, and Epic Collection Captain America "The Coming of the Falcon" - with art by Jack Kirby, Jim Steranko, John Romita, John Buscema, and Gene Colan....tough to beat that group.
    May Winner - The Autobiography of James T. Kirk. - not a comic book but this tread has never really been about "rules"
    June Winner: Fantastic Four Omnibus vol 2: My favorite part of this is Kirby, the master of drawing massive machines & computers, goes against form and the Ultimate Nullifier is roughly the size of an iphone.

July Books:

World's Funnest
    Star Wars vol 2
    Hulk by Jeph Loeb vol 2
    DC Archives Golden Age Green Lantern vol 2
    Sugar and Spike (2016) - not great but far better than I expected it to be.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited August 2017
    Looks like we are on the back half of Previews edition.

Spider Man Todd McFarlane Omnibus
    Fairy Tail vol 1 (digital manga)

Knights of Sidonia (digital manga) - ughhh just watch the show on Netflix I can't be as bad as the manga.

Space Riders #1-4 : Awesome.
    Bane Conquest #2-3

Hulk by Jeph Loeb vol 2

I have very specific feelings about that series, but how are you liking it?
    edited July 2017
    @mwhitt80

I am not the biggest Hulk fan. I only have three male Hulk trades - WW Hulk and the two Hulk by Loeb trades.

I love the art, which was my main reason for getting the books.

The story was ok but it seem to get worse as it went along and the ending fell flat to me.

SPOILER

The big reveal of who Red Hulk would have been better without the use of an LMD to fool the reader. LMD's are a Marvel trick that I have never really liked.
    edited July 2017

@mwhitt80

I am not the biggest Hulk fan. I only have three male Hulk trades - WW Hulk and the two Hulk by Loeb trades.

The story was ok but it seem to get worse as it went along and the ending fell flat to me.

The art was great. I think Loeb did a great Hulk smash comic; the art was everything anyone could have wanted on a Hulk book.

But the mystery of Rulk was bad. I've started rereading all the post WWH stuff. I'm back to my original feelings toward the mystery, but have become way more generous to the Rulk smash parts.

It's worth borrowing it from the library to look at the art.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    mwhitt80 said:

@mwhitt80

The art was great. I think Loeb did a great Hulk smash comic; the art was everything anyone could have wanted on a Hulk book.

But the mystery of Rulk was bad. I've started rereading all the post WWH stuff. I'm back to my original feelings toward the mystery, but have become way more generous to the Rulk smash parts.

It's worth borrowing it from the library to look at the art.
    The Rulk storyline was more or less the result of Loeb asking Ed, Art, and Frank, “What do you want to draw?” and then building a storyline around that. As far as I'm concerned the mystery of Rulk is merely a MacGuffin. It's secondary to telling a fun, smash-bang, beautifully drawn story. I mean, sure, I want to read a great story while I'm looking at fantastic artwork, but I also take it for what it is. It’s comics’ version of a popcorn flick, and that’s okay by me.
    Mid month bump. Any interesting things that pop out, surprises, or questions from others lists?

I finally moved an omnibus off my nightstand. Todd McFarlane Spiderman is done, and I enjoyed it. You can tell that was a first attempt at writing, but that guy can do art. I really think he might be a better inker than penciler. That's not belittling his drawing skills; that's how much I think his work improved once he started inking himself.
    edited July 2017
    luke52 said:

July books...

Fairy Tail vol.1-4

You must be really liking the Fairy Tail.

I know you mentioned you were looking for other manga. I've always had a little more trouble getting into the magic/fantasy so my suggestions are going to lean away from that.

Plantese Omnibus - it follows the crew of astronauts that collect space debris. It's fantastic; there are 2 volumes put out by Darkhorse and you should be able to get them for about $10.00 on Amazon.

Pluto - a modern retelling of Astro Boy by the guy who wrote Monster and 20th Century Boys (long time CGS fans will remember those titles). It's one of my all-time favorites and it wraps up in only 8 or 9 volumes.

One Punch Man is fun.

One Piece is a lot of fun, and if you don't do digital just get the 3-in-1 editions.

Ultraman - the new series has been pretty good.

Ghost in the Shell/Appleseed - just watch the movies/tv series. They are better.

Vinland Saga - A Viking Manga by the guy who created Planetes is excellent, but too pricey for me to get in paper form. It's worth picking up a digital copy on sale through Amazon or comixology.
    The "I am reading a lot of books in July" mid month addendum:

Marvel Masterworks Iron Man vol 1&2
    Marvel Masterworks X Men vol 1
    Marvel Masterworks Thor vol 2
    Giant Size Little Marvel A vs X
    Star Trek/Planet of the Apes - The Primate Directive
    Transformers Classics vol 2
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    mwhitt80 said:

luke52 said:

July books...

Fairy Tail vol.1-4

You must be really liking the Fairy Tail.

I know you mentioned you were looking for other manga. I've always had a little more trouble getting into the magic/fantasy so my suggestions are going to lean away from that.

Plantese Omnibus - it follows the crew of astronauts that collect space debris. It's fantastic; there are 2 volumes put out by Darkhorse and you should be able to get them for about $10.00 on Amazon.

Pluto - a modern retelling of Astro Boy by the guy who wrote Monster and 20th Century Boys (long time CGS fans will remember those titles). It's one of my all-time favorites and it wraps up in only 8 or 9 volumes.

One Punch Man is fun.

One Piece is a lot of fun, and if you don't do digital just get the 3-in-1 editions.

Ultraman - the new series has been pretty good.

Ghost in the Shell/Appleseed - just watch the movies/tv series. They are better.

Vinland Saga - A Viking Manga by the guy who created Planetes is excellent, but too pricey for me to get in paper form. It's worth picking up a digital copy on sale through Amazon or comixology.
    I have been @mwhitt80. It's just such silly fun. I find these to be pretty quick reads too. So getting through them a lot quicker then a comic.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I've heard of Vinland Saga before somewhere too, might have been on CGS or here, but liked the sound of that. I'll be sure to give some more Manga a go once I've got through these 45+ volumes! Who knows when that'll be though. With all that, comics, novels and tv to get through, like us all I need more hours in the day!
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Currently reading these trades:

Image:
    Astounding Wolf-Man: Complete Collection
    Walking Dead Compendium Vol 1

Marvel:
    Captain Marvel by Jim Starlin: The Complete Collection
    Warlock by Jim Starlin: The Complete Collection