Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Rank & Phile #7: Aquatic Heroes

To recap, I'll post one list of five subjects each week (or so), and to try to prevent topic confusion and having to sift through pages of posts, I'll start a new thread for each new list. Your job, if you choose to accept it, is to rank the five subjects on the list below however you see fit. Why rank my list of subjects rather than have everyone come up with their own list of subjects, you ask? Personally, I find that the more options I am given, the more difficult it is to rank them. This is meant to be a quick, hopefully fun, process that you won’t have to spend too much time on. Also, it might get us talking about characters, creators, or stories we might not talk about otherwise. As always, explanation of your rankings is encouraged, but not required.

Since I’m at the beach this week, I’ve got aquatic heroes on the brain. I'm leaving out the Big Two—Aquaman and Namor, that is—to keep things more interesting (for me anyway). Hopefully everyone will be at least somewhat familiar with the characters on the list. Here goes:

Fathom (of the Elementals) / Mera (DC) / Namora (Marvel) / Abe Sapien (of the B.D.R.P.) / Triton (of the Inhumans)

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    1) Fathom — If you haven't read Bill Willingham’s Elementals (his first comic book work), do yourself a favor and track it down (probably easier said than done these days). And when you do, keep in mind that this series began two years before Watchmen and Dark Knight. Despite her relatively short existence, she is probably more complexly developed than any other character on this list.

2) Mera — Everyone here knows I'm a sucker for Aquaman, and Mera is a big part of that.

3) Abe Sapien — Proves the old adage, “It ain’t easy being green.”

4) Namora — The only character on this list who had their own series in the Golden Age. But really it’s her depiction in Agents of Atlas that won me over to her.

5) Triton — Triton has always seemed to me to be “the other Inhuman”. Even though he was part of the original group, he never really seemed to fit in with the rest of them.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    1) Mera - The epitome of the nagging wife. Every issue I ever picked up of Aquaman, she's always on his ass about something. Redheads...honestly. :) This of course endeared me to her because she didn't always just swoon into the hero's arms or really depend on him. She loved him, but that didn't mean she wasn't above giving him the business.

2) Namora - for the very reason Eric stated above. Her run in Agents was great.

3) Abe Sapien - I haven't read a lot of Hellboy, but I loved his depiction in the films.

4) Triton - As mentioned...he's "the other" Inhuman.

5) Fathom - never read Elementals. I need to, I know.
    Torchsong said:

5) Fathom - never read Elementals. I need to, I know.

Knowing your tastes somewhat, I think you would really enjoy it.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    The only two I really know anything about are

1. Mera: #1 because I read the first two volumes of the Aquaman showcase editions and the stories were some of the worst I have ever read until she was introduced into the book. She added another dimension to the story and gave Aquaman some more depth.

2. Namora
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

The only two I really know anything about are

1. Mera
    2. Namora

This is funny because the only two I care anything about are

1. Sub-Mariner
    2. Aquaman

3. And I always liked Triton's appearance.

• BrackBrack Posts: 868
    1) Namora - due to Greg Pak's Hercules run and Agent's of Atlas
    2) Triton - due to Soule's Inhuman's run. The arc of him being on the outs, allied to Maximus, was a late highlight of the series.
    3) Abe Sapien - due to the films
    4) Mera - Eh.
    5) Fathom - I'm sure Elementals worked well in the 80s, but by the time I borrowed it around 1997-98, it seemed like a relic from another time. And without the good art of a TMNT or a Nexus. Then I learnt this was the same Willingham who did all my least favourite art in D&D books, so I've never bothered with him since.
    edited July 2017
    Brack said:

5) Fathom - I'm sure Elementals worked well in the 80s, but by the time I borrowed it around 1997-98, it seemed like a relic from another time. And without the good art of a TMNT or a Nexus. Then I learnt this was the same Willingham who did all my least favourite art in D&D books, so I've never bothered with him since.

I haven't read it in a long time, so I don't know how well it holds up, but it was great stuff for the time—at least until Bill left. Bill really only drew it for a little while, then only covers and a special or two after that. Yeah, most of the artists on the series weren’t great, but most of them were pretty decent. It featured some of Jill Thompson’s first work, and a young Adam Hughes even drew one issue.

So you’ve never read Fables?
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    At a bit of a disadvantage on this one as I'm not overly familiar with most of these folks:

1) Triton - I'm a big Inhumans fan (yes, *I'm* the one), and granted, he's no Karnak, but he's still an easy 1st place vote for me on this list.

2) Mera - I mostly know her from the old Filmation Aquaman cartoon series, but it's still more than the rest of the list have going for 'em, so welcome to the runner-up spot, Mera!

3) Namora - I know I've seen her in books here and there over the years, but nothing jumps out at me. Namor was probably my favorite comic book character when I was a kid though, so she takes 3rd place for reasons of nepotism.

4) Abe Sapien - Heard of him. Have never read him.

5) Fathom - Neveh hoid of ya!

Brack said:

I haven't read it in a long time, so I don't know how well it holds up, but it was great stuff for the time—at least until Bill left. Bill really only drew it for a little while, then only covers and a special or two after that. Yeah, most of the artists on the series weren’t great, but most of them were pretty decent. It featured some of Jill Thompson’s first work, and a young Adam Hughes even drew one issue.

Never have and never will.
    Brack said:

Brack said:

That’s some commitment right there. :) Just so you know though, he did get much better as a writer. And he only drew two short stories for the entire series.

I mean, if I judged every creator by their first work, I wouldn't be reading very much right now. ;)

Brack said:

Brack said:

That’s some commitment right there. :) Just so you know though, he did get much better as a writer. And he only drew two short stories for the entire series.

I mean, if I judged every creator by their first work, I wouldn't be reading very much right now. ;)
    At this point I'm more judging him as a human being.
    Brack said:

Brack said:

Brack said:

I don't agree with his politics, or with some of his actions, but I've had multiple personal interactions with him over the years, and some very interesting conversations. As with most folks, there’s more to him than his politics. I respect your stance, but personally I don’t write off creators or their stories based on their beliefs.

Unless they’re Nazis.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Brack said:

Brack said:

Brack said:

I've never seen Bill on social media mocking anyone who disagrees with him politically, but it is true that he isn't bashful about being politically conservative. Here's a BleedingCool interview with Bill discussing his politics and Fables.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    My turn.

1) Abe Sapien - I've never once read a Hellboy or BPRD story and thought to myself this needs less Abe. He's great in the movies, he's great in the comics and he looks cool.

2) Mera - She has her moments, and she has a more interesting story than a lot of Superheroes.

3) Namora - a close call between her and Mera. She's fun, I liked her in Agents of Atlas, and her more recent appearances. But gentleman don't always prefer blondes.

5) Triton - one of the other inhumans. In the cool inhumans ranking he's just slightly below the no-name inhuman in the very back of the background.

4) Fathom - I'm pretty sure this isn't the Aspen comics fathom, but I've got no clue. What I know is she has to be better than Triton.
    mwhitt80 said:

He's great in the movies, he's great in the comics and he looks cool.

I should have mentioned how much I like his design. But that kind of goes without saying when Mignola is involved.
    mwhitt80 said:

But gentleman don't always prefer blondes.

No one here has ever accused you of being a gentleman.