Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Netflix Purchases (Most of) Millarworld

http://io9.gizmodo.com/netflix-buys-millarworld-mark-millars-creator-owned-pu-1797592167

Please make a Wanted miniseries please make a Wanted miniseries please make a Wanted miniseries please make a Wanted miniseries please make a Wanted miniseries please make a Wanted miniseries please make a Wanted miniseries please make a Wanted miniseries please make a Wanted miniseries please make a Wanted miniseries please make a Wanted miniseries...

Comments

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Starlight, Huck, and Chrononauts would also delight me...
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I will admit I like this news better than, say, if the same thing were happening to Skybound, because unlike Kirkman, Millar has split ownership and creator credit from his artists from the start, and as far as I can tell from the indicia, has continued to do so.
    edited August 2017
    Anime fans should also be excited about Netflix.

https://www.wired.com/story/netflix-anime/
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868

Anime fans should also be excited about Netflix.

https://www.wired.com/story/netflix-anime/

They are not.

Online anime streaming is built on simulcasts, US Netflix is built on binge watching, which has led to US Netflix sitting on series for 6+ months at time while they dub a show, even if that show was on simulcast on JP Netflix. This leads to frustration and piracy.

Quite why they can manage to simulcast some Korean shows and some US dramas in the UK, but not anime, I'm not sure. My guess would be Netflix is now so big, that joined up thinking is now a problem in the way it was for some traditional video distributors.
    Thanks for giving me another reason to be happy I'm not an anime fan.
  • I'll watch anything Huck. The rest hasn't been for me, but I hope he sells a million copies of every issue.
    Last time off topic - More on the whole Netflix anime dust-up referenced earlier

https://youtu.be/dA53wS06Cp4
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Starlight is the one I'd be most excited to see.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I watch my anime on crunchyroll. They don't simulcast everything but they do have a number of titles that show up an hour after they air across the pond.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited August 2017
    Well now that Disney has ended their partnership with Netflix, this deal makes even more sense. Especially since the Marvel Netflix shows will probably not be on there in the future, which sucks.

I just don't think Disney will be as dark with something like Daredevil that Netflix has been. Sadly this might be the end of those series as we know them? Netflix always gave the freedom to it's showrunners, which is why you have such unique programming on Netflix.

But eventually it will be on this Disney Streaming services, and I'm sure they won't give the creators it's freedom to do what they want?

I'm honestly rooting for this Disney service to fail hard.
    Mihawk said:

I am too, as well as CBS's streaming service, and any others. I don't want Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon to have too much competition. I want them to make pretty good money, and stay in business. I will not be subscribing to any additional streaming services. I cut the cable cord to save money, not just to stream on demand.

If Disney succeeds, there will be a gluttony of networks and media giants who decide it's a better deal to release their properties exclusively through their own portal and that won't be a good deal for media consumers.

edited August 2017

Mihawk said:

I am too, as well as CBS's streaming service, and any others. I don't want Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon to have too much competition. I want them to make pretty good money, and stay in business. I will not be subscribing to any additional streaming services. I cut the cable cord to save money, not just to stream on demand.

If Disney succeeds, there will be a gluttony of networks and media giants who decide it's a better deal to release their properties exclusively through their own portal and that won't be a good deal for media consumers.

Yeah, it's like I don't want to pirate stuff or watch it on unofficial websites, but there's just no way I'm going purchase like 20 different streaming services. When mostly likely I'd be getting that streaming services for only a few things.

Like right now I only have HBO for Game Of Thrones, and that's it.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    I don't see there being a feasible market for companies not named Disney to succeed (that is to say, make more money) going their own way—not long-term anyway. Unless it's a niche company who is happy serving a small but loyal niche market—something like Troma maybe. That’s not to say other companies won't try it, but I think they will quickly find that the money simply isn’t there to support that kind of system.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    CBS has sports, lots of sports, so they will probably be ok
    mwhitt80 said:

CBS has sports, lots of sports, so they will probably be ok

See ESPN and their financial troubles sans cable subscribers.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I can't see myself subscribing to a sports channel. That's why the good lord invented bars. :D

I don't see there being a feasible market for companies not named Disney to succeed (that is to say, make more money) going their own way—not long-term anyway. Unless it's a niche company who is happy serving a small but loyal niche market—something like Troma maybe. That’s not to say other companies won't try it, but I think they will quickly find that the money simply isn’t there to support that kind of system.

Well it's already happening, CW has a streaming service, DC is making one right now, with already 2 series exclusively on it. Now Disney and they will have exclusive stuff, probably the Marvel Netflix shows.

If you watch wrestling? The only way you can watch a ppv now is through the WWE network.

And that's not counting Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime.

So it is happening already, if the Disney one is very successful? Then other major companies will start to do this, because why wouldn't they at least try?

Mihawk said:

Well it's already happening, CW has a streaming service, DC is making one right now, with already 2 series exclusively on it. Now Disney and they will have exclusive stuff, probably the Marvel Netflix shows.

If you watch wrestling? The only way you can watch a ppv now is through the WWE network.

And that's not counting Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime.

So it is happening already, if the Disney one is very successful? Then other major companies will start to do this, because why wouldn't they at least try?

Oh, others will certainly try. But there’s going to be a saturation point, and once that is reached, most companies will see their revenues flatline or begin to fall, and they won't be happy about that.

Disney won't have the Marvel Netflix shows anytime soon, assuming they ever pull them back. They’re produced by Netflix, which gives Netflix certain rights over the material. At worst Disney will just cut them off from producing new shows after 2018. Besides, Disney has always been a bit wary of mixing their various brands. I don't know that they would want the darker Netflix shows streaming side-by-side with Duck Tales. I think they'd be more than happy to let Netflix keep streaming those shows so they can keep their service as family friendly as possible.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I look at it as akin to Marvel Island still being a part of Universal's Islands of Adventure.

As long as the checks clear...