Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Jack "King" Kirby - Appreciation Thread | Celebrating his 100th Birthday

2»

Comments

• DanDareDanDare Posts: 27
    And it came along just after Sputnik. I love that sort of stuff. Hey I wonder if Sky knew Race Bannon & Dr Benton Quest!
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    DanDare said:

And it came along just after Sputnik. I love that sort of stuff. Hey I wonder if Sky knew Race Bannon & Dr Benton Quest!

Ha! Quest was just an assistant in the life support division back then, and Race was still in the CIA. ;)
    Nope, no ray guns.. who needs ray guns when you can beat the space-crap outta each other!
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Jack "King" Kirby's 100th birthday is tomorrow!

The Hero Initiative, a charitable organization dedicated to helping veteran comic creators in medical or financial need, is celebrating the 100th birthday of Jack “King” Kirby on Monday, August 28 with a little help from Jillian Kirby, founder of the Kirby4Heroes campaign. More than 50 artists will get up on the morning of August 28, 2016 to simply “Wake Up and Draw.” All drawings will be featured in a special gallery at ComicArtFans.com, and fans can follow the action through the day on Twitter searching hashtag: #WakeUpAndDraw. All drawings will be auctioned to benefit Hero Initiative starting Sep. 5, 2017! Here's a list of all of the "Wake Up & Draw" events hosted by the Hero Initiative across the U.S. celebrating Jack's legacy.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

This book just hit stores last week, by the way. The limited edition hardcover is already sold out, so if you didn't preorder it, you may have trouble finding one, but there are plenty of softcovers available. I did a little work on this one, so I may be a bit biased, but I think it's a pretty interesting book.

Happy 100th!

This book just hit stores last week, by the way. The limited edition hardcover is already sold out, so if you didn't preorder it, you may have trouble finding one, but there are plenty of softcovers available. I did a little work on this one, so I may be a bit biased, but I think it's a pretty interesting book.

Happy 100th!
    That's awesome Eric and thanks for the info
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

Happy 100th!
    Woohoo! I got me a hardcover and a slew of Kirby books coming to me in this month's DCBS order. I've been slowly reading through a lot of Kirby this month (Kamandi, Machine Man, Fantastic Four). Happy 100, Mr. "The King"!
    When Stan wuz da MAN and Jack was KING.

When I was just small and the WORLD was BIG,
    Jack said “Hey you! Hey listen up kid.
    The future’s not scripted yet, penciled or inked,
    It’s all waiting on you- so what do ya think?
    In a four color universe you can be anything-
    So work hard. Stand your ground. Do the right thing.
    You could even be a hero (if you're willing to dare)
    And when you’re a hero it’s OK to be scared.”
    (well.. sometimes anyway)

Now the panels and pages and issues have flown,
    The newsprint has faded. The boy is long grown.
    Many battles he’s fought- won more than a few-
    Oh sure..
    He’s a bit slower now - ‘cuz he’s lost some too.

But…
    There come moments when he can feel it just as it was
    (for a dime)
    ‘nuff said! Excelsior! Its CLOBBERIN’ time!
    When Atlanteans ruled the deep and aliens surfed the air!
    (Oh!)
    “FOR ASGARD! Cap! Shell Head! If I could just go back there!
    Cranky green monster. Whimsical ol’ Ben.
    Man how I wish that I was small once again!”
    And he does go back sometimes - but he knows he can’t stay-
    Because this world, too, has its Goblins to slay.

But on this day- the man smiles and goes back,
    It’s the KING’s 100th birthday…
    THANK YOU JACK.
    DanDare said:

Screwed up link but was referring to Jack Kirby Story Teller. On YouTube in its entirety.

Here is the great documentary you referencedfor about Kirby. Barry Windsor Smith completely revered Kirby. Lots of master artists in this doc.

https://youtu.be/XoXeiEXJrgc
    I think Stan missed this one. Ben's word balloon should've read: 'Now Kid! While I have him distracted you flame on and roast his twinkie!'