Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

Had nothing to do with Gabby Rivera and everything to do with the notion that Marvel could well maintain a title just to be able to say that they were engaging a specific demographic.

Ahh. I needed the clarification. Thanks. Marvel is definitely writing some checks though, cause the book apparently isn't selling.

Any thoughts on Ric Flair?

None.

I've never followed wrestling.
  • Anybody watch "GLOW" on Netflix? I've never been much of a wrestling fan, but that was really enjoyable.
  • Browns about to pay Brock Osweiller $16m to play for the Broncos & Joe Haden $4m to play for the Steelers. I don't think this is how "Moneyball" works.

I stand corrected. Denver signed Osweiller for $775,000, so the Browns are only on the hook for $15,225,000 this year.

• Anybody watch "GLOW" on Netflix? I've never been much of a wrestling fan, but that was really enjoyable.

Not yet, but I want to at some point. I remember watching the first year of the "real" GLOW on Saturday afternoons. It fell into the "so bad its good" category. Then it got just plain bad.
  • Next week, Svengoolie is moving from 11pm to 9pm on MeTV. Fine. But the fine owners of my local MeTV station have a local program they air on Saturdays at 10pm, and instead of moving it to another time, they're just going to air more locally produced programming and not show Svengoolie at all. Booooo!
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Anyone ever wonder why Marvel cancelled Fantastic Four for "low sales" when it was hovering around 30k copies a month during its final year, yet they continue to publish ongoing books that are selling less than 1/2 or 1/3 of that amount today?

Can someone ask Ike Perlmutter?
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I'm always checking out iTunes for sales on movies, television, and music, and they've had $5 sales on movies for some time. I just got Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and Dracula for $5 each in HD. These are all the original Universal films (Karloff, Lugosi, et al.). I bet in the next few weeks we'll see the rest of the monsters' movies go on sale. The sales don't last forever, so get them while you can if you're in the Apple economy (Amazon has the Blu-ray Universal Monsters for $60).
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I turned 45 recently and got the obligatory barrage of old man jokes, some in good fun and others not so much, one being how my beard immediately turned from dark brown to grey and white in a single day.

I believe in the idea that you're only as old as you feel. And as for the hair and beard thing, there is no such thing as grey or white. I think of it as wisdom gained, adventures had and battles fought and won, and that's what I tell people. It's changed some friends thoughts on aging and getting older for the better.

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited September 2017
    How was everyone's weekend?
  • mwhitt80 said:

How was everyone's weekend?

Not bad. Took Saturday off, spent most of Sunday transcribing interviews, and did yardwork yesterday. Finished off by watching King of Comedy and The Stooge as part of TMC’s Jerry Lewis movie marathon.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Friday was household chores day

Saturday I watched college football

On Sunday, I continued to work my way through reading the first Amazing Spider Man Omnibus and rewatching the first season of Star Trek TNG. Some of those season 1 episodes are rough.

Monday went to my fiancé's grandmother's 89th birthday. She is of Japanese descent. She has talked about her family having a beautiful mantle clock that she would stare at when she was a child. That, along with everything else, had to be abandoned when they were forced to relocate into internment camps after Pearl Harbor. Somehow the family found an exact replica of the mantle clock and gave it to her. It was a moment of pure happiness.
    Looks like there is good chance I am going to be getting wet in a few days. I really don't want this storm to follow the projected path north because it will still be a big storm when it crosses over us. Ivan was a 5 and that mortal Kombat finished Jacksonville.
    edited September 2017
    Happy 51st birthday to @JamieD! Once you're done listening to the most recent CGS episode, Spotlight on Jack Kirby Part 2, check out this 50th Birthday special from last year.
    I still have that starred and unplayed. I'm not sure I am ever going to get around to it.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Late to all these discussions:

- I haven't read America. I haven't read much Marvel lately, to be honest. Gabby sounds like a fun person who loves comics and knows how to push the right buttons to further herself in our social media realm. How much of it is really her and how much of it is persona isn't for me to say, but it kept this group talking about her for more than a page or so, so I'd say it's working whatever it is.

- Always remember, critics and their comments don't always jibe with popular opinion of something. Leonard Maltin gave the movie Laserblast 3 out of 4 stars. And it's damn near unwatchable. :)

- Stay dry, mwhitt80. Let us know if you're okay.

- GLOW on Netflix was great, and they've committed to a second season. I'm also a fan of the original show, so keep that in mind. There's bias there. :D

- I wish I could be Brock Osweiler. To be paid that much money guaranteed and never really accomplish anything? Damn, that's a life goal, son...

• CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Torchsong said:

- I wish I could be Brock Osweiler. To be paid that much money guaranteed and never really accomplish anything? Damn, that's a life goal, son...

Elway looks like a genius with this.

He offers Brock a big money contract, Brock takes bigger money elsewhere, flops to the point even Cleveland doesn't want him even though they have to pay him millions, Brock then goes back to Denver and Elway only has to pay him the NFL equivalent of chump change.
    edited September 2017
    Torchsong said:

- Stay dry, mwhitt80. Let us know if you're okay.

A cold front moving west to east keeps pushing all the projections eastward. Right now most projections (if it makes landfall) are toward Eastern Florida so I'm looking safe. Unless you watch the local news and the two or so lines of predictions are going to destroy us. Fingers crossed the storm turns East into the Atlantic. It really is one the biggest storms of my life, so we don't need it hitting the warm gulf waters for any period of time.

However currently I am more worried about finding bread for my wife's lunch than the storm, and my daughter doesn't give a damn about preparedness if she misses her milk with lunch and eggs with breakfast. I'll stab a dude over that.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    If you're in the CGS Pick 'Em league, don't forget to get your picks in.

Good luck fellow prognosticators.
    Steeven said:

I am sooooo looking forward to the Punisher show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDp4AuNen0Y
    Looks like I'm getting wet again. I'm on the safer side of the storm, but it is still a big storm.
    It needs to move on into the Atlantic, but it doesn't look like it will be doing that
    fredzilla said:

I'm always checking out iTunes for sales on movies, television, and music, and they've had $5 sales on movies for some time. I just got Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and Dracula for $5 each in HD. These are all the original Universal films (Karloff, Lugosi, et al.). I bet in the next few weeks we'll see the rest of the monsters' movies go on sale. The sales don't last forever, so get them while you can if you're in the Apple economy (Amazon has the Blu-ray Universal Monsters for $60).

As predicted, The Mummy (starring Karloff) is now on sale for 5 bones on iTunes. Bring on the rest of the monsters!
  • Speaking of monster movies. I saw Shin Godzilla the other day.
    When you fire up a Godzilla movie, you want the movie to be about Godzilla. In Shin Godzilla, Godzilla could have been replaced by any number of things. A typhoon, Tsunami, Plague, or even Zombies. The point of the movie wasn't the disaster, the point was how the government dealt with the disaster. And, this movie makes the arguement that huge governmental bureaucracies are just fine as long as the right people are in charge.
    Which, I think, is a stupid argument. A monarchy, or even a dictatorship can be a fine form of government if the person at the top is uniquely talented.
    Bad movie.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited September 2017
    aquatroy said:

When you fire up a Godzilla movie, you want the movie to be about Godzilla. In Shin Godzilla, Godzilla could have been replaced by any number of things. A typhoon, Tsunami, Plague, or even Zombies

Unless, of course, you're firing up the original Godzilla movie, which also wasn't about Godzilla, and which Shin Godzilla was emulating/rebooting. Just as the original was an allegory for the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the secret H-bomb testing on Bikini Atoll, Shin Godzilla is an allegory for the 2011 earthquake and the resulting meltdown at the Fukushima nuclear plant and the Japanese government’s poor handling of the situation. I've got absolutely no problem with allegory in my Godzilla films.
    aquatroy said:

And, this movie makes the arguement that huge governmental bureaucracies are just fine as long as the right people are in charge.

I don't think that was quite the point. The film satirized the bureaucracy and its relationship with/reliance on the American government. You'll notice that the bureaucracy didn’t start functioning well until much of it was killed by Godzilla’s rampage. The resulting government was much smaller, more adaptive, more independent from America, and willing and able to work together as a team rather than be bogged down in partisan debate—emphasis on being adaptive to the times and situations (hence the rapid evolution of Godzilla and the exponential increase in his threat level throughout the course of the movie). I don’t think it was arguing that Japan needs better politicians, per se. That’s just a small part of its argument. I think the film’s bigger argument is that Japan needs to overhaul its political system so that it can be more facile and responsive in its ability to govern in these rapidly changing, increasingly dangerous (see North Korea) times; that Japan needs to be more independent; and that Japan should have its own standing army rather than just their Self Defence Force (which is basically their equivalent of our National Guard).

I don’t think it was a bad movie. It’s not a movie I’d watch repeatedly like the wacky Godzilla: Final Wars, but I found it interesting in a “what if the original Godzilla movie had been made today instead of 1954” sort of way. It’s certainly not the worst Godzilla movie ever made (and before anyone says anything, I don’t credit the Matthew Broderick movie as being a Godzilla movie).
    aquatroy said:

Speaking of monster movies. I saw Shin Godzilla the other day.

I haven't watched it yet, but it's in the queue.
    edited September 2017
    I'm off work tomorrow. Cousin Irma is supposed to be coming to visit around 2 pm Monday.
    A few gallons of water, some bottled water, a fresh bottle of tequila and citrus, ice, charcoal, and hopefully no baby. Time rock out like scorpions song.
    Lots of rain and wind right now as we catch the outer bands. We'll see tropical storm Irma later today. I guess we will survive another Armageddon, but the day is still young.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    If I were a reasonable fan I'd say the Seahawks did get hosed on a few calls yesterday. But then I remembered that Pete Carroll is one of the biggest whiners out there and then I don't feel bad