Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sony's Shared Universe Branch of the MCU

MattMatt Posts: 4,457
So I guess the Venom movie with Tom Hardy truly is a go. "Silver & Black" isn't as far, but gaining momentum.

I've got to ask, is anyone interested in this branch of Marvel? So far, these movies are not supposed to be connected to the the MCU-Prime, but there's been no determination if Holland's Spidey will make crossovers into them. I'm not sure if this puts anyone at ease with Sony's universe building verses when they tried to do it with ASM2.

To some extent, it seems weird to not have Spidey involved in those two movies. On the other hand, I have no faith those movies will be good, so I don't want them tarnishing the new Spider-man franchise & by extension, the MCU.

What are your thoughts on this?

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/spider-man-sony-cinematic-universe-homecoming-1202498770/amp/

Comments

• Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited July 2017
    I actually enjoy what Sony's done with Spidey so far. Spider-Man 2 is one of my favorite comic book movies of all time and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the only Spidey movie I saw in the theater twice. I haven't seen Homecoming yet and have absolutely no interest in seeing it ever because I'd rather have explosive diarrhea come out of my eyes than subject them to the torture of another Marvel Studios movie.

So, to answer your question @Matt , yes, I am interested in Venom and Silver and Black, with or without Spidey. Sony's delivered for me so far and I trust them to further explore his supporting cast and rogues gallery.

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited July 2017

I actually enjoy what Sony's done with Spidey so far. Spider-Man 2 is one of my favorite comic book movies of all time and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the only Spidey movie I saw in the theater twice. I haven't seen Homecoming yet and have absolutely no interest in seeing it ever because I'd rather have explosive diarrhea come out of my eyes than subject them to the torture of another Marvel Studios movie.

So, to answer your question @Matt , yes, I am interested in Venom and Silver and Black, with or without Spidey.

ASM 2 is the only Spidey movie haven't seen. I've only watched the ASM movie once, thanks to Pants loaning me his blu-ray. I knew this version wasn't for me.

I saw Raimi's Spider-man 10 times in the theatre. Spider-man 2 I saw 5 times in the theatre.

I'm a huge Black Cat fan, even got her shitty mini-series in the 90s, but I can't bring myself to see this movie. And I've never cared for Venom, so that takes that movie off the board.

Aside from probably the forthcoming X-Men movie(s) (and Deadpool 2 on Netflix), I'm restricting my Marvel movie viewing to Marvel Studios.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    I have absolutely no interest in Venom as a character or a movie. Silver and Black could be interesting, I suppose, depending on who they get for the roles. I doubt I'd see it in the theater, mainly because I rarely see any movies in the theater these days. Just as I don't need super-tight continuity in my comics, I don’t need them in my superhero films either, so that aspect doesn’t bother me at all.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I'm not interested in a Tom Hardy Venom movie nor am I interested in a 'Silver & Black' film without Spidey in it. As for 'Amazing Spider-Man 2', it's the ONLY Spider-Man movie I have not been able to finish, and I've started watching it twice now. To me, it's cringe awful, but obviously YMMV.

I don't think these films will tarnish the MCU any more than the lousy Hulk film(s) did, which is to say they didn't.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I've seen all of the Spidey movies to date, except Homecoming. I like Holland's portrayal, but I also liked Garfield, MacGuire and Hammond, that that counts for nothing.

The thing is, I have never really cared about Spider-Man. So, with exception of the Hammond made for TV stuff, all of them have been post video release. I don't see that changing regardless of what they do with the character. If it's available to stream I'll get around to watching it. If not, I won't go out of my way to rent it.
    hauberk said:

I've seen all of the Spidey movies to date, except Homecoming. I like Holland's portrayal, but I also liked Garfield, MacGuire and Hammond, that that counts for nothing.

The thing is, I have never really cared about Spider-Man. So, with exception of the Hammond made for TV stuff, all of them have been post video release. I don't see that changing regardless of what they do with the character. If it's available to stream I'll get around to watching it. If not, I won't go out of my way to rent it.

He might be too old, but Hammond should play the new Uncle Ben...or at least throw him a bone with a cameo. After 6 films, it's about time he gets a shoutout.

So, to answer your question @Matt , yes, I am interested in Venom and Silver and Black, with or without Spidey. Sony's delivered for me so far and I trust them to further explore his supporting cast and rogues gallery.

I had to research this, as I was fairly certain there was no Marvel Studios logo, but Spider-man: Homecoming is actually a Sony movie, not Marvel Studios. Marvel Studios was involved, but it's still technically distributed by Sony & they had final say on the product.

Side bar: I employ you not to see it though. If you feel that strongly about Marvel Studios, I'd avoid anything that has their involvement.
    There was definitely a Marvel logo, and it featured a clip from Spidey in Civil War.
    edited July 2017

There was definitely a Marvel logo, and it featured a clip from Spidey in Civil War.

I've just finished my MCU marathon, so I couldn't be certain if it was there. I do recall at some point thinking "hmm, no Marvel Studios logo; that's weird." That could be, however, because Sony, then Columbia logos appeared first. Perhaps @Evening639 should state he "liked what Sony WAS doing with Spider-man."

With Sony distributing the movie & final say, it's still technically their movie, no? The Incredible Hulk is technically a Universal film as they distributed.
    edited July 2017
    I just assumed that it was a Marvel Studios movie because their logo was plastered all over the trailer, along with Tony Stark. I looked it up and saw that it was indeed distributed by Sony, though. That almost made me want to watch it. That is, until I saw it was also distributed by Feelgood Entertainment in Greece. Instantly turned off again.

I just assumed that it was a Marvel Studios movie because their logo was plastered all over the trailer, along with Tony Stark. I looked it up and saw that it was indeed distributed by Sony, though. That almost made me want to watch it. That is, until I saw it was also distributed by Feelgood Entertainment in Greece. Instantly turned off again.

As I said in a prior post, avoid this one (though you found another reason to). RDJ has roughly 5 minutes of actual screen time; Iron Man about 2-3 minutes. The plot, however, revolves around Toomes & his crew stealing & profiting off of the destruction caused by the Avengers. So, even though they really aren't a presence in the film, there are plenty of references to their battles & the "final battle" involves essentially their armory.

Plastering the Marvel Studios logo all over was just to market to people such as myself, who have really only spent money on MCU comic book movies since Sony initially rebooted Spider-man (and DC decided it wanted an extended universe). It looks, however, Homecoming is on pace to basically make what ASM did.

until I saw it was also distributed by Feelgood Entertainment in Greece. Instantly turned off again.

Care to enlighten me as to why this altered your perception of it?

until I saw it was also distributed by Feelgood Entertainment in Greece. Instantly turned off again.

I was actually just making a joke since we were discussing production and distribution being a determining factor in one's interest in seeing a film. Although, before making that joke I did scan through Feelgood Entertainment's distribution history, and, they do have a pretty poor track record.

As a side bar, however, upon a second look I see that Big Picture 2 Films handled the Portuguese theatrical distribution and they look legit. Now I'm torn again.

I was actually just making a joke since we were discussing production and distribution being a determining factor in one's interest in seeing a film. Although, before making that joke I did scan through Feelgood Entertainment's distribution history, and, they do have a pretty poor track record.

As a side bar, however, upon a second look I see that Big Picture 2 Films handled the Portuguese theatrical distribution and they look legit. Now I'm torn again.

Wait, now I'm confused. Was the joke a spinoff from your initial comment about staying away from Marvel Studio movies (paraphrasing here of course) or from the finding out Homecoming is a Sony movie?
    Matt said:

Wait, now I'm confused. Was the joke a spinoff from your initial comment about staying away from Marvel Studio movies (paraphrasing here of course) or from the finding out Homecoming is a Sony movie?
    Yes.
    Matt said:
    Yeah, this doesn't sound advisable at all. This may indicate the inevitable coming of the downward slope of comic book movies.

Matt said:
    Yeah, this doesn't sound advisable at all. This may indicate the inevitable coming of the downward slope of comic book movies.
    Or getting to the bottom of the barrel you're able to work with.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited September 2017
    Matt said:

Matt said:
    As a person in Matt/Murd age group I've got to admit I had to Google who Nightwatch was. I was a Marvel zombie at the time.

I thought he was a Ghost Rider villian; I promise I've read/know more about 90s - present ghost Rider than anyone on these boards and 99% of all comics readers. And I was confused.

Spike will be doing new Little Penny commercials before he finishes this as a direct to video "movie"
    edited September 2017
    mwhitt80 said:

Matt said:

Matt said:
    As a person in Matt/Murd age group I've got to admit I had to Google who Nightwatch was. I was a Marvel zombie at the time.

I thought he was a Ghost Rider villian; I promise I've read/know more about 90s - present ghost Rider than anyone on these boards and 99% of all comics readers. And I was confused.

Spike will be doing new Little Penny commercials before he finishes this as a direct to video "movie"
    I wish I had to research him. The Rose was one of my favorite Spidey villains, then they squashed that by making him "The Blood Rose" (think Punisher). His friend had plastic surgery to the look like Richard Fisk, later becoming Gauntlet after stealing the glove of the Nightwatch suit. He returns to get revenge on Richard with Nightwatch (and his living suit) in pursuit of the missing accessory.

Unlike today, where stuff like The Shadow #1 & Batman/Shadow mini-series have me questioning why I'm buying subpar books, the "long-going" storyline only had me wishing there was more Spidey.

• HexHex Posts: 944
    Matt said:
    Ouch.
    As much as I enjoyed Nightwatch in the '90s (I'm sure I was the only one), along with his recent revival in She-Hulk (although I thought he ended his 90s series stuck in a time loop?), some things are better left in the past.

With all the Marvel properties that could be turned into a feature film, I'm sure there are many (Many) choices that would fair far better than Nightwatch.

Although I do remember having a similar reaction when Marvel announced their Guardians of the Galaxy franchise... so what do I know (aside from Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning's GotG being far superior to Nightwatch).
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    If you ignore the actual comic, and I assume they will, the concept of "guy becomes a superhero when he retrieves a super suit off his future corpse" is sound.

And would in fact would work better as a movie than a comic, as you can properly structure the mystery and design a satisfying answer. In comics, you've got other demands that mess with a mystery of that kind - if you solve the mystery, the reason for the character evaporates. If you drag it out, the mystery starts to buckle under the weight of continuity.

And Spike Lee taking a crack at the superhero genre would be interesting in and of itself too.