Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Karl Richardson on a recent 2000AD

• Options
    RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 553
    edited September 2017

My #3 oldest comic (that was bought off the stands for me before the age of 5)...

Showcase #74, on stands 3/12/68
    Pencils & Inks: Howie Post

I clearly remember owning this one because I had it for many years. From here on out in this countdown, I was really surprised to discover which were the very earliest comics I owned, after viewing them chronologically online. If I had realized this was the 3rd comic I ever owned, I certainly would have kept it (and did for a couple decades, but it eventually went in one of my purges, I think after college).

No doubt, caveman+woolly mammoth+volcano =I would have asked for this one!

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited October 2017
    By the end of 1972, the Fourth World was pretty much over. Only Mister Miracle escaped cancellation. So here’s New Gods #8 (Apr.-May 1972), inks by Mike Royer. I chose this cover not so much because it’s a great cover—which it is—but because this issue’s story was used, along with others, as the basis of an episode of Superman: The Animated Series. For those unfamiliar with Dan “Terrible” Turpin, the guy front and center on the cover, he first appeared in New Gods #5—a police officer who is one of the first humans to become aware of the New Gods. Kind of like Kirby himself might have done, when Kalibak comes to Earth to raise havoc, Turpin charges in single-handed to take him on. He survives the encounter, but just barely.

Flash forward a couple of decades and change, and Superman: The Animated Series features Turpin—visually based on Kirby, who had passed away just over a year before the show entered production—as part of Metropolis’ Special Crime Unit. This time, however, Turpin doesn't survive the Apokolips invasion. Turpin’s funeral was visually styled after the graveyard in which Kirby was buried.

• Options
    I've been re-reading my early issues of The 'Nam. And, wow! Michael Golden is so damn good. [I know, not a controversial statement]

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I inadvertently uploaded this twice to Imugr...So, you're getting it twice.

• Options

My #2 oldest comic (that was bought off the stands for me before the age of 5)...

Superman #205, on stands 2/6/68
    Pencils & Inks: Neal Adams

Another one I owned for a couple decades. I had no idea this was my first Superman comic, much less the second comic I ever owned. I wish I had kept my original copy! I was less than 3 years old when I received this one, but I loved the reruns of the black and white, live-action TV show, and I'm sure I was mesmerized by the Neal Adams cover art.

• Options
    And, finally .... My #1 oldest comic (that was bought off the stands for me before the age of 5)...

Phantom #22, on stands 5/1/67
    Pencils & Inks: Sy Barry

I was flabbergasted this was the first comic I ever owned off the stands, and yet another I owned for a couple decades...and now wish I had kept my original copy.

This one I received before I was two, but it makes perfect sense, because right at this time my grandfather was reading newspaper comic strips to me (especially the color Sunday pages, which I think included the Phantom). I've always believed my grandfather probably bought me my first comic, and this being the very first chronologically supports that theory -- either he or I probably recognized Phantom from the newspaper strips.

I first started to read, long before school, from the newspaper comic strips, and then later from comics, and the family story goes I told my grandfather I was only going to go to school long enough to learn to read comics, though I eventually overshot that low bar.

Thanks to everyone for humoring me in my countdown walk down memory lane...I still have one "honorable mention" coming up.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Halloween Covers Time!!!
    ===================

Spooky #90
    February 1966
    Cover by ... possibly Warren Kremer, or maybe Ernie Colón, Sid Couchey, Dom Sileo, Ben Brown, Steve Muffatti, or Joe Dennett. Hard to say with Harvey Comics, but maybe @nweathington knows. An interesting discussion on that here.

Spooky the Tuff Little Ghost was the inverse of his fellow Harvey comics star, Casper the Friendly Ghost—equally cute, but he had no use for "friendliness," he wanted nothing more than to scare people (or anything else). This cover, from 1966, features the classic Monsters emerging from the TV (where the Universal Monsters were incredibly popular).

Read some of this issue online here
  • Options
    Looks like Kremer to me, judging by Spooky’s longish face and the figures of the monsters. And there weren't many Harvey covers of the late ’60s that Kremer didn’t draw.
  • Options
    1973 ended with the cancellation of Mister Miracle, and 1974 led off with the cancellation of The Demon, leaving Kirby with only one monthly book. But OMAC, a bimonthly, launched in the fall, with Sandman, another bimonthly (this time written by Joe Simon), not far behind. And 1974 closed with Kirby taking over Our Fighting Forces (featuring the Losers)—another bimonthly—with issue #151. Meanwhile, Marvel not only (re)printed twice as many Kirby covers as DC, but reprinted more Kirby interior pages than DC printed new Kirby pages. Here’s Kamandi #16 (Apr. 1974), inked by D. Bruce Berry.

• Options
    15 days until Halloween!
    ====================

Marvel Team-Up #36
    August 1975
    Cover by Ed Hannigan, Mike Esposito, and Irv Watanabe

"Once Upon a Time, in a Castle" Part 1 by Gerry Conway with interior art by Sal Buscema (layouts) and Vince Colletta (finishes). At some point in high school, Peter Parker probably read Mary Shelley's classic novel "Frankenstein," but at no point did Peter think he might someday team up with Victor Frankenstein's creation! But due to a strange series of events, the Amazing Spider-Man finds himself across the Atlantic Ocean, in the Balkans, and inside the castle of the evil Baron von Shtupf...with only one friend by his side: the Frankenstein monster! It's a literary team up for the ages as the wondrous wall-crawler and the man-monster from the pages of a 19th century novel join forces...to save the world! Cameo appearance by the Man-Wolf. This issue includes a 2-page retelling of the origin of Frankenstein's monster.)

Read it online here
  • Options

And, finally .... My #1 oldest comic (that was bought off the stands for me before the age of 5)...

Phantom #22, on stands 5/1/67
    Pencils & Inks: Sy Barry

I was flabbergasted this was the first comic I ever owned off the stands, and yet another I owned for a couple decades...and now wish I had kept my original copy.

This one I received before I was two, but it makes perfect sense, because right at this time my grandfather was reading newspaper comic strips to me (especially the color Sunday pages, which I think included the Phantom). I've always believed my grandfather probably bought me my first comic, and this being the very first chronologically supports that theory -- either he or I probably recognized Phantom from the newspaper strips.

I first started to read, long before school, from the newspaper comic strips, and then later from comics, and the family story goes I told my grandfather I was only going to go to school long enough to learn to read comics, though I eventually overshot that low bar.

Thanks to everyone for humoring me in my countdown walk down memory lane...I still have one "honorable mention" coming up.

I've really enjoyed this, @RobAnderson. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Thanks @ChrisBeckett ! One more to follow next week! :)
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

1973 ended with the cancellation of Mister Miracle, and 1974 led off with the cancellation of The Demon, leaving Kirby with only one monthly book. But OMAC, a bimonthly, launched in the fall, with Sandman, another bimonthly (this time written by Joe Simon), not far behind.

I love this period of DC Kirby. I love the Demon, and I love OMAC, but man I wish we would have gotten 7 or 8 issues of each. Omac might have been been done by then, but I would have loved to see how he finished up.
  • Options
    2 Weeks to Halloween
    ==============

Dell Giant #36
    Little Lulu and Witch Hazel Halloween Fun
    October 1960

Just a giant size a collection of short stories, connected loosely by a shared purpose and a specific progression of time--i.e., finding a pumpkin, choosing a costume, having a party at school, having another party at either Tubby or Lulu's house, taking to the streets to Trick or Treat, returning home as the night ends, and finally, turning in for bed as the realization that Halloween is over again for another year painfully yet inevitably sinks in.
  • Options
    Halloween is almost here!
    ================

Felix the Cat and the Haunted Tower
    Dell Comics Four Color #46,
    June 1944
    Cover by Otto Messmer

Read it online here: cartoonsnap.blogspot.com/2010/01/felix-cat-and-haunted-tower-by-otto.html
  • Options

2 Weeks to Halloween
    ==============

Dell Giant #36
    Little Lulu and Witch Hazel Halloween Fun
    October 1960

Just a giant size a collection of short stories, connected loosely by a shared purpose and a specific progression of time--i.e., finding a pumpkin, choosing a costume, having a party at school, having another party at either Tubby or Lulu's house, taking to the streets to Trick or Treat, returning home as the night ends, and finally, turning in for bed as the realization that Halloween is over again for another year painfully yet inevitably sinks in.

I have forever been looking for a Little Lulu Gold Key Digest I had as a kid... which was Halloween themed...

All I remember about it is that Lulu is telling the origin of Halloween to someone and the whole story revolved around her mispronouncing it "hollow-weenie"... that may have even been the name of the story.. I have never been able to track it down.