Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited September 2017
    Torchsong said:

Torchsong said:

My wife's the Trekker in our marriage, and she had no interest in the series. She's tired of them going back before NG or ToS. It's time to move beyond it into the future.

While not for everyone, the novels have continued the NG timeline forward past Nemesis. I think Riker is an Admiral now. New characters have been introduced.

I think the last couple of books have gone back to single contained stories instead of the wide story archs that covered multiple books which was the norm for probably a decade.

Of course there are still novels published set in the TOS timeframe and the most recent book released was a Discovery story.
    BOOKS?!? Are you suggesting I *READ*!?!? :smiley:
    Just think of the novels as comic books without the art and with a tremendous amount of silver age exposition.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Brack said:

Initially, it looks like Discovery pulled in 8.1 million viewers. Up against football (even a terrible game) and the instant classic "Who shot Biggie and Tupac" on Fox, 8.1 million is decent.

I have seen a production cost range anywhere from 6 to 8.5 million per episode (which may be wrong altogether). So if roughly half the initial audience signs up for the streaming service at the $6 rate, you cover the estimated production costs at the lowest end of the scale. Not including advertising costs.

4 mill viewers x $6 a month = 24 mill
    6 mill an episode x 4 episodes a month = 24 mill.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-sunday-sept-24-2017/

Also it's been pre-sold elsewhere. For example, in the UK it's a "NETFLIX ORIGINAL".
    Am I just a cheapskate who can’t afford $10 month?

No, but I am someone who already subscribes to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. If I’m going to add anything else to that list, you had better besure I’m going to get value out of it, and I cannot see that happening with one CBS show they’ve decided to make impossible to view elsewhere in the U.S.

The Star Trek issue is frustrating because this is the first time I’ve actually been interested in a CBS show since Supergirl. The network may still put up big numbers for many of its shows, but their audience is aging quickly. A few years ago, reports said the average CBS viewer was 55. Soon, that will be 60, if not already.

Star Trek was a chance to get younger viewers watching the channel for the first time in ages. The production value is fantastic, the cast is great and it appears to scratch the Star Trek itch for many fans. But it’s crazy to me to finally have a show that appeals to a younger demographic, and hide it behind a paywall. Yes, the younger crowd is used to paying for streaming services, but almost no one ever signs up for just one show. Oh, and did I mention that there's a $6 tier of CBS All Access that still includes ads?

Sure, Netflix and HBO are a bit more expensive than CBS All Access, but I’m watching many, many exclusive shows, miniseries and movies across those services every year, making the price worthwhile. For CBS, there is literally nothing else I care to watch on All Access (the complete collection of The Big Bang Theory isn't doing it for me) and there's no way I’m going to pay $72/120 a year to a channel I never watch for one exclusive show that finally managed to catch my interest.

Will I ever watch Discovery in full? I have no idea. If it’s ever for sale by itself, I’ll pick it up, and I know international viewers are actually getting the show on Netflix. But CBS really took a wrong turn here, taking one of their most promising shows in ages and locking it into one of the most unappealing subscription services I’ve seen. There are ways for old media companies to adapt to the new media landscape, but CBS is doing it poorly, and I will be amazed if Discovery gets anything even approaching a respectable viewership locked in a tower like this. This was a bad call that I hope is reversed down the road.
    I think after recently watching the Grand Budapest Hotel, I'm looking forward to Anderson's next movie a bit more than I normally would.

https://youtu.be/dt__kig8PVU
  • Looks great! Always ready for more Wes Anderson.
    DAR said:

Well well well turns out Harry Knowles of Aint It Cool News is a piece of garbage

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/harry-knowles-sex-assault-allegations-prompt-staff-exodus-aint-it-cool-news-1042793

I've never been a fan of Harry Knowles. Just kind of find him to be a repugnant person on many levels. But of course these are just allegations, so they aren't proven.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited September 2017
    DC Rebirth sale is happening at ComiXology this week. I only got a couple of number ones when they first came out. I decided that I wouldn't jump on the train after DCNu52. However, now that it's been a few, what's good that I should look into? It looks like it's only the first arc of each title that's on sale.

Need to know what's on sale? Check it out:
  • Not trying to be political. It's just that this headline made me laugh.

Fight in 'empathy tent' at UC Berkeley leads to 4 arrests
  • I think that Jeff Lemire needs to make a spin-off of "Descender" about Driller the Killer.
    ESPN is under scrutiny as it works its way through subscriber losses, said it would reorganize the executives who supervise its overall content production.
    Can you spot all the words that are not great for a business?

More here: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/espn-reorganizes-content-team-conor-schell-1202573820/
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

ESPN is under scrutiny as it works its way through subscriber losses, said it would reorganize the executives who supervise its overall content production.
    Can you spot all the words that are not great for a business?

More here: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/espn-reorganizes-content-team-conor-schell-1202573820/

It's because they never latched onto the idea of the Ocho.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2017
    hauberk said:

hauberk said:

Watched Star Trek Discovery premiere tonight and quite liked it. Alas, CBS would need to have buckets of similar offerings to make the paywall even worth considering.

So, CBS, Disney and anyone else looking forward to doing a brand specific subscription platform, I can find plenty of stuff to entertain myself without supporting those platforms. I suspect that many will agree.

I watched Discovery and was generally disappointed. The lead character has potential but that was about it. After it was over, I put in a TNG blu ray and was much happier.

I get that you cannot make a modern show look technological worse than TOS and expect to be successful and attract the elusive new audience but Discovery went a little too far for a supposed prequel to TOS. The Star Wars hologram communication system that Kirk and Picard must have forgot about?

It was only the first episode so maybe it does get better with time. My guess is that it has a tough future ahead of it. I imagine that the production values will decrease as it settles into its normal budget. Not all the die hards are going to like it and will not pay for it. Even those that do like it will struggle with the idea of paying for it. It will simply fade out of view for the casual fan/viewer.
    Will those that have praised Discovery for its diversity and modern sensibilities be willing to pay for it?

Revised tech bothers me no more than the sliding timeline in comics. Were you equally bothered by the saucer section separating or all of the softer lines in everything?

Found the much more pronounced Klingon browridges curious - wonder if this series is going to shed some light on that deviation from TOS to ST:NG.

Not sure why you're singling out the people that got Roddenberry' vision I'd wonder if anyone, regardless of how much of a true fan they are, will follow it past the paywall.
    DAR said:

If Disney's streaming service is offering its back catalogue of films or old episodes of the Sunday night tv show, then if the price point is reasonable I will certainly look into it

The only back library pieces I'm really interested in are the two Scarecrow of Romney Marsh movies with Patrick MacGoohan. Shocked that they're unavailable on video.

The Scarecrow movies can be found --if you catch my meaning. Don't even feel bad about it.
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Earlier today there was a movie from earlier this year starring Winnie Cooper from THe Wonder Years, Urkel from Family Matters, and Ivanova from Babylon 5......

Sadly, it was not nearly as entertaining as that 90s smorgasbord of actors would indicate.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    The fact that Danny Trevathan of the Bears wasn't ejected for his hit on Davante Adams shows the NFL is all talk when it comes to player safety
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited September 2017
    DAR said:

The fact that Danny Trevathan of the Bears wasn't ejected for his hit on Davante Adams shows the NFL is all talk when it comes to player safety

I thought that playing NFL football games on 4 or 3 day rest was proof enough. The NFL (owners via thier errand boy Roger) doesn't give a crap about keeping thier players safe.
  • mwhitt80 said:

So I have been locked out of the forums for all week. But...
    I have a 9lbs baby boy.

Congrats!
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

So I have been locked out of the forums for all week. But...
    I have a 9lbs baby boy.

1. Congratulations!!!

2. When you get a chance, could you please let me know what kind of error message you were seeing? I will see if Bryan knows anything from the admin side, as you are the second person that has mentioned this happening.

3. Congratulations!!!
    edited September 2017
    It wouldn't let me login from my mobile (iOs), but Chrome browser on my desktop was working normally.
  • mwhitt80 said:

DAR said:

I thought that playing NFL football games on 4 or 3 day rest was proof enough. The NFL (owners via thier errand boy Roger) doesn't give a crap about keeping thier players safe.
    I don't watch Thursday night games just for this reason.

It wouldn't let me login from my mobile (iOs), but Chrome browser on my desktop was working normally.

I didn't have a PC to login in from, and was using my mobile (Android) either.
    I didn't get an error message it acted like it would login, but never actually login. It just refreshed the main forum page but never logged me in.

I thought I got hacked and spammed the place and was temporarily banned.
    mwhitt80 said:

I didn't get an error message it acted like it would login, but never actually login. It just refreshed the main forum page but never logged me in.

That's a perfect description of what happened to me. I would go through he login process, and it would act as though I had logged in, but I wasn't. Seems fixed now.
    Is Brian Michael Bendis trolling comic fans with this or is this really coming back?

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

Is Brian Michael Bendis trolling comic fans with this or is this really coming back?

This originated as Brian’s April Fool’s Day post back in 2014.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I saw a commercial for David Boreanaz new show "SEAL Team".

Somehow this guy has managed to stay on a tv show for 20 straight years and counting. (Buffy, Angel, Bones, SEAL)

mwhitt80 said:

That's a perfect description of what happened to me. I would go through he login process, and it would act as though I had logged in, but I wasn't. Seems fixed now.
    Yep. I'm logging in fine now.

This originated as Brian’s April Fool’s Day post back in 2014.

Yeah, I thought I recalled that, but he posted this yesterday for no discernible reason, so I guess he IS just trolling.

• If he had posted it today, it'd make it exactly 6 months from April 1st. :-)
    In case you missed this before, Ron Howard narrates ‘Star Wars’ with an ‘Arrested Development’ tone.

https://youtu.be/P2p2PD6b2-E