Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Marvel's Inhumans TV Series | Official Thread

The new ABC series Marvel’s Inhumans will premiere in IMAX cinemas for two weeks on September 1 – the first time a live-action television series has debuted in this manner. ABC then plans to show the series weekly in the US from Sept 29. The show will focus on the classic comic-book core of Black Bolt and the Inhumans' royal family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sYF1SXcWqQ

Lockjaw looks great, but not much else.

Comments

• MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    I like the Inhumans, hope it does well. They really need to work on Medusa's wig, it looks really bad lol.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

IMAX has gotta be pissed at how cheap this looks.
    Bland Bolt and the Ho-Hum-ans.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    This trailer is a slight improvement

https://youtu.be/xU9Z6cKsbY0
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Is anyone headed to the IMAX to watch the pilot? I don't even have interest enough to watch any of the trailers.

Does sound like it's still a work in progress:
    http://news.abs-cbn.com/entertainment/08/07/17/marvel-hits-back-at-early-inhumans-criticism
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This looks so bad. I'll watch it... even if it hurts. And only because it's supposedly in the MCU.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    It currently has the dreaded 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. Now to be fair these are film critics reviewing it as a theatrical release

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marvels_inhumans
    edited September 2017
    DAR said:

It currently has the dreaded 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. Now to be fair these are film critics reviewing it as a theatrical release

Do you think Marvel decided to go low-budget TV series, but perhaps had some kind of contractual obligation to do a theatrical release? I can't think of ANY good reason to have rolled it out this way.

I'm not quite sure.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    It's got a 0 rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I want to give this a shot but I'm honestly not sure about this.

DAR said:

Do you think Marvel decided to go low-budget TV series, but perhaps had some kind of contractual obligation to do a theatrical release? I can't think of ANY good reason to have rolled it out this way.
    We have two different Marvels now, and it's really starting to show.

I can't help but wonder if this thing is deliberately bad out of some kind of spite on somebody's part.

I also wonder if IMAX will sue.
    WetRats said:

DAR said:

We have two different Marvels now, and it's really starting to show.

I can't help but wonder if this thing is deliberately bad out of some kind of spite on somebody's part.

I also wonder if IMAX will sue.
    Is that a TV & movie branches of Marvel or TV & paid service (right now, Netflix)? Since Agent Carter got wrongfully dismissed, I've abandoned network TV, so I don't know how well Netflix & TV are connected.
    So I tried to watch fell asleep halfway through the second episode. That's enough for me
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I was watching while I was posting stuff on Ebay. I figured it's Friday and I don't have much to watch on that night so I said what the heck. The show definitely has the feel of not putting much money into it. Especially with only one scene with Medusa's hair. Crazy as it sounds but based soley on what I know about the Inhumans from their appearances in the FF I felt that this was a good representation of the Inhumans. They had a lot of the touchstones. Maximus trying to take over, terrigen, Royal Family etc.

The only real aspect I liked about the show was Ken Leung as Karnak. I'd watch a show called Karnak, PI. He leaves the moon to start a career on Earth as a PI and solves crimes. I never read that comic he had yet.

There's only eight episodes and I can multi-task while watching it. I'll see where it goes. It's not a total shit show it just needs something else like the Fantastic Four to bounce off.
  • DAR said:

So I tried to watch fell asleep halfway through the second episode. That's enough for me

Yeah! The first half wasn't too bad... I fell asleep and missed almost all of the second one... and missed nothing! And cutting off Medusa's hair seems like an easy out for the FX budget. They should just make a Lockjaw show... at least he had charisma.
  • Yes, there was a lot wrong with this 2 hour pilot (mostly from the 45 minute mark onward) but there was also a lot right with it. If I had autonomous control over Rotten Tomatoes, I'd put "Marvel's The Inhumans" at 72%. A good writing team could quickly and easily improve this show with the ingredients we've been given here.
  • Whoa. I'm an "Inhumans" fan, and I had completely resigned myself to passing on this show. Bionic Dave though, has given me reason to reconsider.

Yes, there was a lot wrong with this 2 hour pilot (mostly from the 45 minute mark onward) but there was also a lot right with it. If I had autonomous control over Rotten Tomatoes, I'd put "Marvel's The Inhumans" at 72%. A good writing team could quickly and easily improve this show with the ingredients we've been given here.

Well remember Rotten Tomatoes is the number of critics that recommend a movie it tv show
    DAR said:

Yes, there was a lot wrong with this 2 hour pilot (mostly from the 45 minute mark onward) but there was also a lot right with it. If I had autonomous control over Rotten Tomatoes, I'd put "Marvel's The Inhumans" at 72%. A good writing team could quickly and easily improve this show with the ingredients we've been given here.

Well remember Rotten Tomatoes is the number of critics that recommend a movie it tv show
    I just can’t buy that makes or breaks a movie. No one I know determines whether to see a movie based on Rotten Tomatoes. Is there anyone here that decided to see/not see a movie based on Rotten Tomatoes? I want to expand my sample size.
  • Matt said:

Is there anyone here that decided to see/not see a movie based on Rotten Tomatoes?

Yes. Frequently.

Matt said:

Is there anyone here that decided to see/not see a movie based on Rotten Tomatoes?

Yes. Frequently.

Are these for movies you’re teetering on, or movies across the board? Have there been movies you were all in (or out) that Rotten Tomatoes changed your mind? If so, did you find Rotten Tomatoes to be accurate?
  • There are movies that Rotten Tomatoes (or reviews in general) will not dissuade me from seeing, and there are movies where Rotten Tomatoes is the difference between going to see it and "eh, let's wait for HBO."

In addition, I have DirecTV which links many of it's movies to Rotten Tomatoes so that when you click on a movie in the listings for more info, you see their rating. Many a movie that I thought kinda sorta sounded cool, I decided was probably a piece of crap and not worth my time because of it.
    Matt said:

Matt said:

Yes. Frequently.

Are these for movies you’re teetering on, or movies across the board? Have there been movies you were all in (or out) that Rotten Tomatoes changed your mind? If so, did you find Rotten Tomatoes to be accurate?
    Aranoksy's 'mother!' comes to mind. I used to make it a point to check out his films, but since 'Black Swan,' I've come to trust the critics.
    Hmm. I almost never even take advice from people I know what movies to see. If a movie seems interesting, I’ll see it at some point. If not, I don’t. I couldn’t tell you the RT of the last 3 movies I saw.
    With certain things I know I'm not going to rely on RT as much. I mean take Pixar for example. I pretty much know by now they're generally going to put out something worth my time. Or I pretty much know by this point I don't really need to see another Transformers film.

But for your smaller/independent films I will use RT.
    If I'm thinking about spending $20 at the theater on a film I don't know anything about (i.e. it isn't a Marvel property, etc), then I do check out early reviews. It's saved me several bucks. I might catch it on home video later, but my money and time are better spent doing 5 minutes of research than ending up at the theater and the movie being a colossal waste of my time and cash.

YMMV
  • As much as I hate RT, and as much as I have been steered wrong by RT, I confess - I still use it a lot, as do the friends I see (theatrical) movies with.

BvS really did a number on me and my film posse :joy: Even those of us who didn't like it could not see how RT could give it a score in the *20 percentile* range. 60 percentile, 50 percentile maybe, that's enough to say a movie has some interesting elements but is not good... but 27% ?! Even our naysayers thought that was bloody ridiculous; the Wonder Woman stuff alone puts that film at 50%, we believe. So for a while, my friends and I started using Metacritic instead of RT. We preferred that system's format of analysis, and it did seem to line up more with the percentile ranges we were giving to movies on our own. But I dunno why we strayed back to RT. I guess it's because it gets more press? More people use it? I truly don't know. I still think it's often tremendously misleading.
    edited October 2017
    Here’s a follow up; does having an award winning or nominated director, writer, actor, or actress sway someone to see a movie they might normally not? What about if the movie won an Oscar (or Emmy, or whatever awards movies get)?

I can’t be the only one here who determines what I watch based purely on my own tastes*.

*or my wife, but rarely. We only go to the theater to see movies we both want to see (basically just MCU).