Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1671 Talkback - 2017 NYCC Chat and October Previews

Treat yourself to Previews, with a crunchy candy coating of Comic Talk! We go through the October 2017 catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in December... but first, we have a nice long chat, including notes on New York Comic Con 2017, with our special guest, longtime CGS consultant Eric Nolen-Weathington of TwoMorrows Publishing. (1:44:30)

Listen here.

Comments

• matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited October 2017
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited October 2017
    Now I'm going to have to put "CGS Consultant" on my CV.
  • chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    Sounds like a great episode. Time for the Previews episode already and I haven't even started looking at mine yet.
    @Pants I did a search because it was bugging me, and my first appearance on the show was Episode 154 back in 2006. It was funny because our booth that year backed up to a storage room for chairs, which was great for when we needed to take care of our then-one-year-old. But it also provided us a relatively quiet room to do the interview in. I had just heard about the show a couple of weeks prior from my buddy George Khoury, but I hadn't started listening yet. But of course I started listening right after we got home from the show. Good times!
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2017
    Here's a shot of the headshots from Batman #32 where dopplegangers of several of the CGS crew were listed as casualties of the War of Jokes and Riddles which just concluded in this issue. It was wild.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/books-comics/batman/267913/the-war-of-jokes-and-riddles-concludes-in-batman-32

Our boys (and Mr Deemer) are in the center of the bottom full row

Great episode guys! And good to hear you again @nweathington
  • Wow! This is early for a Previews episode! (Not that I'm complaining!) I just got my DCBS box today! OK, I'll listen ASAP...

Great episode guys! And good to hear you again @nweathington

Thanks, Chris!
  • Great guest star appearance, @nweathington!

Great guest star appearance, @nweathington!

Thanks, G!
  • Another great episode - and great to hear our very own @nweathington!! For some reason I always thought he was British, must be his surname :joy:
  • Maybe he was just doing his American accent? You know, like Andrew Lincoln or Idris Elba?
    Knock it off, guys! I'm trying to avoid deportation over here.
  • A question about the "retrospective" books that are published regularly, such as "Joe Sinnott: Embellishing Life" that caught my eye this month. When such volumes are published (about Marie Severin, Herb Trimpe, etc., etc.), or when IDW's artist editions are released, do these fine silver-age creators that we love receive any royalties? I like to think that they do because they were so frequently exploited during the silver age, and because these volumes contain many reprints of their artwork. Does anyone know? I'd probably buy even more of these volumes than I do currently if I was certain that these creators were receiving a "financial thank you" for their time in the trenches.
    edited October 2017

A question about the "retrospective" books that are published regularly, such as "Joe Sinnott: Embellishing Life" that caught my eye this month. When such volumes are published (about Marie Severin, Herb Trimpe, etc., etc.), or when IDW's artist editions are released, do these fine silver-age creators that we love receive any royalties? I like to think that they do because they were so frequently exploited during the silver age, and because these volumes contain many reprints of their artwork. Does anyone know? I'd probably buy even more of these volumes than I do currently if I was certain that these creators were receiving a "financial thank you" for their time in the trenches.

For the most part, I think the answer is yes. It certainly is the case with every such book that TwoMorrows publishes. In the case of the Matt Baker book I co-edited, since Baker was long dead when we did the book, his step-brother and nephew received the payment Baker would have been offered. After Mike Wieringo passed away, we began giving his royalty payments for the Modern Masters book I did with him to the scholarship fund at SCAD that his brother Matt had set up in his name. After Nick Cardy died, we gave his royalty payments for the book I did with him to the Hero Initiative in Nick’s name. But you get the idea.

I can’t speak with absolute certainty about every book from other publishers, but I think it’s safe to assume that the overwhelming majority, if not all of them, also pay royalties to the creators.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited October 2017
    What is the best cover for Ed Piskor's Xbook?
    I completely missed this, and am on board. So which to Magento or the box cover?
    Thanks @nweathington for pointing it out
    mwhitt80 said:

I completely missed this, and am on board. So which to Magento or the box cover?

Standard cover for me. After six issues, two issues per year, you'll be able to piece them together like so:

Thanks.
    Hey did anyone read terror assualter from fantagraphics? He's got a new book that reminds of the Stallone movie Cobra.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

mwhitt80 said:

Standard cover for me. After six issues, two issues per year, you'll be able to piece them together like so:

$6 per issue, plus 3 years to finish publishing, gonna be the longest trade wait I've ever managed. Will the hardcover be $39.99 or less?

mwhitt80 said:

$6 per issue, plus 3 years to finish publishing, gonna be the longest trade wait I've ever managed. Will the hardcover be $39.99 or less?
    Another option is the treasury-sized collection of Grand Design (the first two issues). You'll end up with three volumes if you go that route.

Like I said in the episode, it looks like Marvel is going to be releasing these as a series of miniseries—three two-issue miniseries to be precise. I think what we'll end up with, as far as collections, is the three-volume set of treasury editions, and an oversized hardcover that collects all six issues—something the same size as Hip-Hop Family Tree. Given the nature of the project, I’ll bet Marvel won’t release a standard hardcover. I could see a standard-sized softcover six months later collecting the whole series though. So, I think $39.99 is going to be the minimum price tag for a hardcover collection.
    Man I love Ed Piskor. Hip-hop Family Tree was great to look at and a great read. Marvel can have all my monies with this project.
  • wuchmeewuchmee Posts: 16
    NYCC really dropped the ball with Artists Alley for 2017. I went on Thursday (usually the "lightest" of the four days) and AA was a truly awful experience. Overall, much too crowded a space, with relatively narrow aisles and horrible lighting. The seeming incandescent lighting was perhaps the worst offense, as it prevented artwork from looking its best. Eric's description of the hazard the escalators presented was right on the money.

Unfortunately, the north space is undergoing multi-year reconstruction of some sort, and won't be available for quite some time. It's great that some artists did satisfactory business, but as a fan destination, it left a LOT to be desired.
  • Thanks for the feedback re: royalties for silver-age creators, Eric. And great to hear you on this episode! Frankly, I think that you should be a CGS-Previews regular!

Thanks for the feedback re: royalties for silver-age creators, Eric. And great to hear you on this episode! Frankly, I think that you should be a CGS-Previews regular!

You're welcome, and thanks! Any time the boys are short-handed, I'm more than happy to fill in.