Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Marvel's Inhumans TV Series | Official Thread

2»

Comments

• Award winning/nominated directors, etc., don't mean squat to me. My tastes/values are completely out of whack with those of Hollywood. I only see stuff that piques my curiosity. Just because you won "Cannes" or "Sundance" probably counts against you more in my book.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited October 2017
    Matt said:

What about if the movie won an Oscar (or Emmy, or whatever awards movies get)

Anytime someone raises "well, it won the Oscar," I always come back to the fact that "Shakespeare In Love" beat out "Saving Private Ryan" for best picture.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Matt said:

He’s a follow up; does having an award winning or nominated director, writer, actor, or actress sway someone to see a movie they might normally not? What about if the movie won an Oscar (or Emmy, or whatever awards movies get)?

I can’t be the only one here who determines what I watch based purely on my own tastes*.

*or my wife, but rarely. We only go to the theater to see movies we both want to see (basically just MCU).

Nothing but my own interests sway me to go to a theater to see a movies.

Who is involved in the film may sway me to see the film eventually. For example if Tom Hanks is starring in the film, I usually feel good that it will be worth my time to eventually see it. There are only a few people that I feel that way about though.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm more of what have you done for me lately

The director of Blade Runner 2049 Dennis Villanueve last four movies he made were Arrival, Sicario, Enemy and Prisoners. Of those four the only one I didn't like was Enemy. But I loved the other three. Based on that he's one of the reasons why I'll see BR2049.

Now take Ridley Scott, he has Alien Covenant, the Martian, Exodus and Prometheus as his last four. The Martian was great, the other three, garbage. Going forward I'm going to be a little more hesitant with his films
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    DAR said:

The director of Blade Runner 2049 Dennis Villanueve last four movies he made were Arrival, Sicario, Enemy and Prisoners. Of those four the only one I didn't like was Enemy. But I loved the other three. Based on that he's one of the reasons why I'll see BR2049.

Now take Ridley Scott, he has Alien Covenant, the Martian, Exodus and Prometheus as his last four. The Martian was great, the other three, garbage. Going forward I'm going to be a little more hesitant with his films

I actually like Prometheus, at least the subplot of how the Aliens were made. The primary plot I thought was okay, but watching David orchestrate in the background was interesting.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm not watching it but my wife is. She knows nothing of the Inhumans so she isn't brining any baggage with her. She says she enjoys it, somewhat, but It's some of the worst acting she's seen in a long time. I think I'll continue to avoid this.
  • Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm not watching it but my wife is. She knows nothing of the Inhumans so she isn't brining any baggage with her. She says she enjoys it, somewhat, but It's some of the worst acting she's seen in a long time. I think I'll continue to avoid this.

I had been waffling, but Mrs_Cosmic's review is the final straw. Hard pass for me.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited October 2017
    DAR said:

I just watched Aliens: Convenant. The movie was “eh,” but Fassbender was great. Unfortunately, since this was not well received, I’ve read the final prequel will deal with A.I. Units instead of xenomorphs.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Inhumans is so good that you're talking about everything but Inhumans :p