Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Bendis Goes Exclusive at DC

From DC's Twitter, and Bendis has confirmed.

Comments

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I know Bendis can be polarizing, so I can anticipate some of the reactions to this will be more from people who already avoid his work anyway.

Personally, I enjoy his Marvel work (though, these days, I have been following it with less urgency, via Marvel Unlimited, rather than buying it). But I am game to see what he would do at DC. I'm hoping it is not just the big brands, I hope he does some esoteric side character, too, or something in Young Animal or Vertigo. We'll see.

(Mostly I would like him to do more Scarlet, which I think is some of his strongest work in years.)
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Fuuuuu.....

Bendis stink is what made me quit Marvel completely. Absolutely not looking forward to this.

(please no Legion, please no Legion...)
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    hauberk said:

Y'know...if it brings back the Legion? I'll take Bendis writing the Legion.

Yeah. I went there. :)
  • So much for Jessica Jones. Guess I'll be dropping that soon. I reckon it’s time for Chase to get a new series. Or will it be The Question or Manhunter instead?
    Torchsong said:

hauberk said:

The only thing that could make that worse would be JRJR doing that thing he does in lieu of art.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited November 2017
    What?!? The next thing you're going to tell me is Disney is trying to acquire the rights to Fox and the X-Men/FF! Pssh!

In not unrelated news... I really enjoy Bendis' work on regular titles. His DD and USM are among my favorite comics ever. However, the guy couldn't write an event to save his life--or at least Editorial at Marvel wouldn't let him write an event. He cannot write an ending. I imagine he'll be doing a lot of this at DC. Best of luck to him. I will probably be interested in at least checking out some of his books.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    If I was reading DC I’d be scream “Khan” right now.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    A Brian Michael Bendis & Geoff Johns cowritten event is coming.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Torchsong said:

hauberk said:

Can't wait for debuting characters "Stand Around Talking Boy" and "Repeated Dialogue Lass".

Also: Superman in INACTION COMICS
  • Brack said:

"Stand Around Talking Boy"

That would be better than “Just Standing There Boy”—I mean, Stone Boy.

Brack said:

"Stand Around Talking Boy"

That would be better than “Just Standing There Boy”—I mean, Stone Boy.
    Pretty sure that I'd take a Stone Boy solo series first. For what it's worth, Valiant just did their own Stoneboy-type character in Secret Weapons. He was pretty cool.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Hmmm. Get ready for Bendis own Batman and Nightwing.

This really will be interesting, he's been the marvel writer (for better or worse) for the last 15 years. I'll be interested to see how Marvel changes almost as much as DC.

I would love to read his Gotham Central or checkmate/taskforce x book.
    And Lobo because he is going to do a LEGION reboot.
    mwhitt80 said:

This really will be interesting, he's been the marvel writer (for better or worse) for the last 15 years. I'll be interested to see how Marvel changes almost as much as DC.

It's been a while since he's been influential on line direction at Marvel, but after Hickman, it's not really felt like anyone has been given the reins in that way since.

Aaron's got Thor, Slott's got Spidey but neither feel like the engine of the entire line like Bendis' or Hickman's Avengers did. Even though Legacy #1 & Thor #700 certainly suggest Aaron's meant to be in that role.
    mwhitt80 said:

I'd agree about being interested to see how Marvel changes. I don't see how it can be for anything aside from the better.

As a die hard Rucka fan. The last place I want Bendis to go is anywhere that Rucka has already been. It can only be a step down.

Task Force X? As in Suicide Squad? My biggest complain with the current Suicide Squad is just how survivable it's been. As was observed above, I don't want to see pages and pages of circular conversation from Deadshot and Boomerang with a static team. I want there to be genuine danger and casualties for the Squad. I'm not sure that Bendis is capable of providing that.
    edited November 2017
    hauberk said:

mwhitt80 said:

I'd agree about being interested to see how Marvel changes. I don't see how it can be for anything aside from the better.

As a die hard Rucka fan. The last place I want Bendis to go is anywhere that Rucka has already been. It can only be a step down.

Task Force X? As in Suicide Squad? My biggest complain with the current Suicide Squad is just how survivable it's been. As was observed above, I don't want to see pages and pages of circular conversation from Deadshot and Boomerang with a static team. I want there to be genuine danger and casualties for the Squad. I'm not sure that Bendis is capable of providing that.
    Please. For as good as those books are it's been 10 years since checkmate and Gotham Central. Both of them can be rehashed without damaging thier legacy. I'm also pretty sure Bendis can create a good cop book and a good spy book.

I think you are misremembering what taskforce x was. That was the agency that ran checkmate and the squad, not just the squad, it was the through line agency between the books.

I wonder how he would do on a Firestorm book?
  • As much as I liked Gotham Central, at least until Brubaker left, Checkmate was pretty mediocre. I dropped it not far into its second year.
    edited November 2017
    My bet is Bendis on Teen Titans. He made Ultimate Spider-Man a hit. He made Avengers a hit. On Teen Titans he can do both those things at once. He can do that LOSH too, but they want people to read the comic.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Anyone want to wager on which DC character Bendis will kill first or which one he'll turn gay first?
    Beast boy? Is Speedy still alive?

Checkmate was pretty mediocre. I dropped it not far into its second year.

I disagree.
    Rucka's Checkmate was pretty good. I don't think either series was holy ground, just really good comics.
  • mwhitt80 said:

Checkmate was pretty mediocre. I dropped it not far into its second year.

I disagree.
    Rucka's Checkmate was pretty good. I don't think either series was holy ground, just really good comics.
    I don't remember what I didn't like about it at this point. There were moments I liked, which is why I kept reading as long as I did, but I was more often disappointed by it than entertained by it. And the artwork didn't help; it wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t great, either. It's easily the weakest Rucka book I've read to date.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    I've read a ton of Bendis' work at Marvel over the years... some of it I enjoyed, some of it not so much. I won't shed any tears that he has left for greener pastures at DC. And I doubt his move will entice me to pick up any new DC titles.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Anyone want to wager on which DC character Bendis will kill first or which one he'll turn gay first?

Maybe he’ll turn a character gay just before killing him/her just to move on from it right away.
    I'm just glad that someone will finally bring the idea of killing and resurrecting superheroes to DC.
  • Anyone want to wager on which DC character Bendis will kill first or which one he'll turn gay first?

Roy Harper. I'm pretty sure he's been everything EXCEPT dead and gay. But, he can only be gay if Jean Grey tells him he's gay.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    He was pushing for a Batman/Daredevil cross over for years. I'd be surprised if some sort of a Bat book isn't in his near future. I think Green Arrow would be a good fit for him as well. Hopefully DC keeps him out of writing their major events.
    NYTimes coverage of this, from the other day, including comments from BMB about the move.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552

So much for Jessica Jones. Guess I'll be dropping that soon. I reckon it’s time for Chase to get a new series. Or will it be The Question or Manhunter instead?

I was just thinking about what characters I would like Bendis to write.
    I think you nailed it. A Bendis Question would be fun.