Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Thor: Ragnarock (SPOILERS. Seen it? Discuss it here!)

Comments

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    I think it's the closest superhero movies have come to capturing a superhero comic on the screen. It's not necessarily the best superhero movie, but the visuals, the begrudging team-up, the weirdness, the humour, and all the elements ripped straight out of different comics add up to something that feels intrinsically MARVEL in a way that other films haven't quite done yet.

And the use of the Immigrant Song at the end was fantastic, tying the lyrics in thematically with the inhabitants of Asgard becoming immigrants.

The minor abandoned plot element of Odin in the care home and returning to Norway reminded me a tiny part of the second Dirk Gently novel (where Odin is put in a care home and Thor is trying to find him).

I know originally they had Odin wandering New York as a homeless man, and I do wonder if having Odin wander around in America would have been a little too close to American Gods too.

The Norway scenes and the Dr Strange visit that gets them there worked fine as replacements. But Hopkins best Odin performance was as the Loki-Odin.

I wonder if Edgar Wright had come along to do Ant Man now it would have worked out easier for him as the Marvel films are edging more and more towards weirdness and idiosyncrasy.

Also: I failed to recognise Matt Damon as the actor-Loki.

Glad Black Panther is next as that looks tonally and visually different but just as inventive that it'll work well as a palette cleanser before we go back to space for Thanos. Just have to hope then that Avengers: Infinity War can bring some the weirdness that Guardians 2 and Thor 3 have to bear on the Avengers. Chitauri aren't going to cut it after this.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited November 2017
    I thought it was the most Kirbyesque looking all all the marvel movies. The production design was my favourite thing about it. As for the film itself, I liked it well enough but felt Taika and company erred on the side of too jokey. Everything was subservant to the gags. Also, no Lady Sif, and the warriors three. WTF?
  • Options
    kiwijase said:

I thought it was the most Kirbyesque looking all all the marvel movies. The production design was my favourite thing about it. As for the film itself, I liked it well enough but felt Taika and company erred on the side of too jokey. Everything was subservant to the gags. Also, no Lady Sif, and the warriors three. WTF?

Warriors Three were there, they all got killed.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Brack said:

kiwijase said:

Warriors Three were there, they all got killed.
    That's what I mean by WTF.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    edited November 2017
    Just saw it. As background.. I've always loved Thor in comics, I loved the 1st Thor film (probably my favorite new-era Marvel film), and I really disliked "Thor: The Dark World." That being said:

I did not care for "Thor: Ragnarok." TOO. MUCH. COMEDY. Like, 75% too much comedy. I am really feeling like these Disney/Marvel films are made for six year-olds, that's certainly what this one felt like to me; like all the powerful characters - good guys and bad guys - had to be de-clawed with comedy so as not to make little kids nervous. The production design was awesome, yes (a true orgasm of Kirby-inspired wonderfulness) and I loved the *look* of Hela, at least, even though her campiness bugged me. Hemsworth and Hiddleston have amazing chemistry. And the effects were pretty great. But I swear... it's like the director's prime motivation here was to make little kids laugh.

I love superhero comic books, and honestly, I do love moments of humor in the movies and TV shows based on them. Moments of humor. But "Thor: Ragnarok" went way too far for me.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited November 2017
    Ugh. I hate it when non-comic book readers tell us “finally a superhero movie has just the right tone.”

https://youtu.be/ojMxF3L9uyg
  • Options
    Matt said:

Ugh. I hate it when non-comic book readers tell us “finally a superhero movie has just the right tone.”

They are right though.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Brack said:

Matt said:

They are right though.
    I could’ve used a bit less of the humor. It wasn’t as distracting as Batman & Robin, but it was too much for me to really enjoy the movie,
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Let me start by saying that I enjoyed the movie overall. HOWEVER, I do think that at times the comedy ALMOST took me out of it. For example, there were a couple of times when I was thinking "Uh, Thor wouldn't be a sissy like that (when getting zapped or getting his hair cut)." or "This Krog's dialogue is going on far too long!" On the other hand, I did enjoy the dramatic performance that Loki had set up, the time when Banner fell onto the rainbow bridge, and the arguments that Hulk and Thor kept having. BUT I DID miss the Warriors Three (since they were taken out so early) and SIF and JANE and her comrades (Darcy, her boyfriend, and Dr. what's his name?). I did like the "new" Hela and Valkyrie characters, but I wasn't so impressed with the Grandmaster. I think my mind concentrating on the main plot points kept me from NOT enjoying it. That scene where Loki goes to save the day and he notices the cube....oh, man! As for recognizing Matt Damon and Chris Hemsworth's brother...I knew they looked familiar but I didn't really place them. I did have the thought that "Wow, that guy really looks like Chris Hemsworth!" lol
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited November 2017
    This movie made the Guardian of the Galaxy movies look like Schindler's List.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Matt said:

That looks like an add for an online dating service.
  • Options
    Saw it last night. Very enjoyable. Far and away the best Thor movie yet. Granted, that's a low bar, but still.

And I can see why some folks may have been turned off a bit by all the comedy. Didn't phase me in the least though. Hat's off to Taika Waititi. Thought you crushed it, dude.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited November 2017
    I really liked Hela in this, her killing the Warriors 3 like they were nothing was great. Because I feel like the one way you can make your Villain feel threatening is by killing people the Hero cares about.

I did find it weird though that Thor never reacted to his friends dying.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    edited March 2018
    Bought it Tuesday.
    Ragnarock gets a bit to close to the parody line for my taste. A few to many "I'm really clever" moments from the director.
    Overall, though, it was a fun ride.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I agree saw it for the first time. Not in my top ten of the year but definitely enjoyable.