Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1677 Talkback - A Cornucopia of Comics Conversation 2017

No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds, November: no matter! CGS continues its annual Thanksgiving-week tradition of spicing up this somber month with a veritable feast of Comic Talk, stuffed with more topics and more comicky camaraderie than you can shake a candied yam at! Help yourself, and don't be shy about coming back for seconds... but save us a drumstick! (1:04:20)

Listen here.

Comments

• Always one of my favorite episodes.
  • Don’t bother looking for George Pérez’s adaptation of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (inked by Jim Mooney) in Marvel Super Special #7—it was never released in the US. The last time I talked with George about it in 2007, even he hadn’t seen a copy of it. He hated working on that story anyway, though he loved working on “The Beatles Story” for issue #4.
  • The first Mage series is fantastic, but I was a little disappointed with Defined. It wasn’t bad, but it didn't live up to Discovered. I've been picking up Denied, but I've only read the #0 issue so far. I'm hopeful that it will be a return to the quality of Discovered.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Don’t bother looking for George Pérez’s adaptation of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (inked by Jim Mooney) in Marvel Super Special #7—it was never released in the US. The last time I talked with George about it in 2007, even he hadn’t seen a copy of it. He hated working on that story anyway, though he loved working on “The Beatles Story” for issue #4.

You might find a copy of it (if soft and hardcover editions) on eBay in French or Dutch, since it was only released in the Netherlands and in the French markets (France & Canada). If you're really curious, you can actually read the whole thing here (if you are fluent in French). And pick up a page of Perez's original art for it here. That same page in color here.

That auction might be within @pants's budget.

• Don’t bother looking for George Pérez’s adaptation of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (inked by Jim Mooney) in Marvel Super Special #7—it was never released in the US. The last time I talked with George about it in 2007, even he hadn’t seen a copy of it. He hated working on that story anyway, though he loved working on “The Beatles Story” for issue #4.

You might find a copy of it (if soft and hardcover editions) on eBay in French or Dutch, since it was only released in the Netherlands and in the French markets (France & Canada). If you're really curious, you can actually read the whole thing here (if you are fluent in French). And pick up a page of Perez's original art for it here. That same page in color here.

That auction might be within @pants's budget.

Like I said, that was ten years ago. I'm sure he’s seen a copy by now. The internet is a much bigger place now than it was even that short time ago.

The cover, by the way, is a Tom Palmer painting over a sketch by George, though he didn't remember doing the sketch. Hard to see George under Palmer’s finishes, but it’s his composition.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited November 2017
    This episode was worth it just for that Muddle the Murd and the @Pants reaction. Well played! I felt a little for @Adam_Murdough not catching on. I was right there with him until that last clue when it clicked for me. Good to hear @wildpigcomics in brighter spirits. Missed hearing @ShaneKelly, and bummed about elder @JamieD. My thoughts go out to Shana and her family. Finally, great ending tag!
  • Couldn't believe Murd didn't see it coming. Granted, I thought the second answer was going to be "Super Dough Man" (not sure what I was thinking there ... maybe Superman working as a baker, or something. Idk)
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    edited November 2017
    So sorry to hear about the passing of Jamie D.'s father. Poor Shana, her family's certainly had more than its share of tragedy in recent years. Let those of us who've been spared such a thing give even more thanks for that this season.

Fortunately for all of us, you guys could follow up that news with a(nother) wonderfully fun episode. I can't wait to see the CW's crossover "Crisis on Earth X," and this week's Muddle the Murd was particularly enjoyable! And @Pants, thank you for educating us on current toy trends. Fingerlings, huh? Now I'll have something else to chat about with my friends' kids this holiday.

But best of all, this episode gave us what may be Chris' funniest line in months:
    "Yeah, it doesn’t matter how bad the day might be... hearing Murd moo, everything is just peachy keen, ladies and gentlemen!”
    :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
  • Pants said:

Target acquired:

Nice! You know, Palmer was usually a stickler for technical details, but he really wonked up those guitars.
  • Perhaps I'm the weird one, but I've actually been enjoying the Inhumans show. It hasn't been awesome, but still wholly enjoyable. Granted, I don't know that much about them, comic book-wise, other than who they basically are, so if there are any serious discrepancies, I really wouldn't be the wiser. But the story has been fairly decent, and the characters are are pretty solid.

On the other hand, as much as I love the Coulson character, I've found Agents of Shield unwatchable since season 2. The story, up to that point, had been good, but I just couldn't stand the majority of the other characters.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    WOw, this episode was ALL over the place, but don't worry. I liked it. Loved the talk about what everybody was reading, loved the Black Friday-Pants working-Christmas Barn talk, loved that Pants found another comic to pursue (and find!), and absolutely loved the Muddle-the-Murd questions. VERY creative!