Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

FINALLY got a copy of Photoshop CS5... what next?

jkkeller914jkkeller914 Posts: 58
edited June 2012 in Comic Book Binding
Hey Gang! I have had some of you offer advice or guidance in the past regarding creating custom dust jackets for binding. After much negotiating with my wife regarding the expense of the software, I picked up a copy of Photoshop CS5. Currently taking the time to learn the software and will start tinkering with my own covers.

If anyone would be willing to e-mail some examples of dust jackets you've done to jkkeller914@tds.net, it sure would be appreciated. I think if I have a template to work from, my learning curve might be shortened a bit...

Thanks again!
JK

Best Answers

• Options
    Justin_TheBuckJustin_TheBuck Posts: 253
    Answer ✓
    There are some very good alternatives to PS;if it's not to late I say return it and try any one of these from the site http://sixrevisions.com/graphics-design/10-excellent-open-source-and-free-alternatives-to-photoshop/
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Answer ✓
    I'm a big Open Source/Linux guy but I also do a ton of digital artwork and design/illustration and unfortunately none of the free alternatives come close to stacking up to PS. I wish they did, believe me, GIMP is OK but it falls apart the minute you need to do some of the more advanced PS things... sure you *can* do them with it in most cases (some it flat out can't do) but it is always way more complicated and time consuming.

I recommend sticking with PS. Yes, it is expensive (I always have people find a way to buy it via a student discount) but it is actually well worth it and money well spent, plus you can always just buy upgrades from here which are cheaper. I actually still use CS3 on my Wacom slate PC, and that is another option to buy a used older copy. Most of the features are basically the same and lots of professional artists use and prefer CS2 or CS3 often. The only thing I can offer though is that for layout and type design something like Adobe Indesign might be a better fit. I do my layout stuff in PS though because I'm more familiar with it so it is fine.

Just remember to work in 300DPI and if the printer requires CMYK color and then your final printed results will be as close to professional as you can get.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Answer ✓
    Corwin, thanks again!

Justin and Zhurrie, I've been wanting to learn Photoshop for years now, but could never justify spending the money for it. And, trying to shoehorn my way into a student discount would be a pretty big stretch of the imagination (If I can't learn it, I don't think my 7 year old is going to be terribly adept either). I found myself in a situation recently where I had money to spend, that would have been lost if it WASN'T spent. So, a new laptop with CS5 found it's way to me.
    Good! For student discounts, you can usually have an friend/relative etc. that is in college or a teacher buy it at the student rate or often you can walk into any university bookstore and just buy it. But again, even though it seems expensive it is well worth it.

For layout work it is less important but eventually look into something like a Wacom Bamboo tablet (or if you still have cash to blow a Cintiq :) ) A tablet is a huge jump in what you can do with Photoshop, until then learn as many key commands as possible as you go. A great resource is the digital artist Daarken, he has a website enliighten.com and he has tons of free amazing tutorials and tips. I learn new things from him constantly and I've used PS since it came out. I am constantly learning by watching other people use PS, there are so many ways to do the same thing and some really slick tricks and quick shortcuts that until you see someone do first-hand you'd never think of or learn. Classes can be good too, but there are tons of great free online resources and tutorials. Best of luck!

Answers

• Options
    Corwin, thanks again!

Justin and Zhurrie, I've been wanting to learn Photoshop for years now, but could never justify spending the money for it. And, trying to shoehorn my way into a student discount would be a pretty big stretch of the imagination (If I can't learn it, I don't think my 7 year old is going to be terribly adept either). I found myself in a situation recently where I had money to spend, that would have been lost if it WASN'T spent. So, a new laptop with CS5 found it's way to me.