Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Punisher (Spoilers - Please Label Posts/Spoilers By Episode)

Have at it!

And, as a reminder, please put what episode(s) you are commenting on at the top of your post, so that people watching at different rates don't get spoiled. Thanks.

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Episodes 1 & 2: even though I enjoyed them, I thought they were very predictable. Especially episode 2; I knew the interrogation tactic on Wolfe the moment he mentioned how unreliable torture is (which is accurate), the fake limp to alter his gait, the “trunk transportation,” all were easy to see in advanced.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited November 2017
    I have only seen the first episode, but I enjoyed it thoroughly and thought it was a pretty good set up to the character. I’m looking forward to completing the series. So far, so good.

Episode 1 felt like a solid “one and done” and a very good setup for anyone not already familiar with The Punisher. It may be a bit too gritty for someone who is squeamish towards realistic violence. I enjoyed it as much as the first few Daredevil season 1 episodes.

Episode 2 Introduces us to Micro and also brings Karen Page into the mix. I am not a fan of her character, or maybe it’s the way she’s portrayed, but she is helpful to Frank. She’s also still on her streak of falling for the wrong kind of men. Frank also gets to demonstrate how resourceful he is in trying to discover who Micro is without being violent - well, at least until he goes after Carson Wolf, portrayed quite convincingly by C. Thomas Howell. This character suffers and dies way too soon. Must be the Marvel/Netflix formula. (Kingpin was an exception.)

Not sure how I feel about Special Agent Madani yet. She’s a bit naive, but I like her so far.

I like it and I’m sticking with it.
  • Episode 1 - Best first episode of a Netflix series. Thanks for not having to go into exposition we got a nice violent and brutal end to the first episode.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited November 2017
    I've finished the whole season, so spoilers for episodes 1-13.

Spoilers

I really enjoyed this show, I'd put it right behind DD.

Jon Bernthal was excellent, easily the best portrayal of The Punisher.

I really liked Billy Russo/Jigsaw. They did a really good job of weaving their own version with the comic version. Making remarks about how handsome he is I thought was good call back to the comics where he was called "The Beaut", and setting up his eventually disfigurement.

I liked Micro, him and Frank's relationship was good. Micro's family and Frank was getting wired, it was like Frank was using them to replace his family.

The police investigation side of this was OK, I liked Madana.

One side plot I really didn't like was the Lewis storyline, his story felt completely unrelated to the main story, it felt like they said "we need to make 50+ minutes episodes so let's add in this". I felt the same way with the Lesbian Love Triangle storyline in Jessica.

And I really didn't like episodes 9 and 10 where Lewis storyline came to ahead. They felt like filler episodes. Only 2 things happened that added anything to the overall plot.

1. Karen and Frank having feelings for each other. Which is like OK whatever.
    2. Frank and Madana finding out about Billy. Which I thought was done very poorly and Weird.

That is really all my complaints with this show. Overall I really liked it. The violence was exactly right. This kind of violence should make you go like "man". Frank shouldn't be viewed as a hero because he isn't. And I think they did that right

Finished the series. I put it up there with the Daredevil series. It was more violent then the Jane movie & not nearly as over the top violent as Stevenson’s movie.

I couldn’t stand the Lewis arc...until it finally paid off. I thought those 2 episodes were really good. It established the distinction between Frank & Lewis. If I recall correctly, Frank never even threw a punch at Lewis.

I liked how they tweaked Russo to fit into Frank’s past. There’s a part of me that hoped Spector would’ve been in that group, but since Marvel is insistent on making him crazy, I’m hesitant about wanting a live-action version.

What’s great about this series (and DD) is how many hits, shots, etc Frank takes. Sometimes when I read Batman (or the handful of Punisher & DD) issues, I forget the abuse & injuries this line of work involves. The movies with Batman don’t really convey that as much as these shows have.

Here’s hoping for a season 2.
    Just finished episode 6. Still really enjoying this series and all of the characters are solid. This series is up there with Daredevil season 1 for me.
    Episode 12

Not for the faint of heart. This episode was powerful, emotional and exceptionally brutal. If ultraviolence isn’t to your liking, you may want to skip this show altogether. This episode is a game changer, but not easy on the eyes as it’s probably the most violent and bloody of any Marvel Netflix episode thus far. The climax probably being the most violent television I can remember.

Looking forward to the final episode this weekend.

Episode 12

Not for the faint of heart. This episode was powerful, emotional and exceptionally brutal. If ultraviolence isn’t to your liking, you may want to skip this show altogether. This episode is a game changer, but not easy on the eyes as it’s probably the most violent and bloody of any Marvel Netflix episode thus far. The climax probably being the most violent television I can remember.

@bralinator just wait for 13.
    Matt said:

Episode 12

@bralinator just wait for 13.
    Looking forward to it @Matt
    Episode 13: Billy gets “punished.”

This show ain’t for the queasy, not by a long shot. Maybe one or two episodes too long and a couple of superfluous characters/threads, but I still think this was one of the best of the Marvel Netflix offerings.

A thorough and difficult look at armed services PTSD. Well conceived, written, produced, and acted. Castle, Micro Curry, Billy, and Madani were all stand-out characters.

Looking forward to season 2.

This show ain’t for the queasy, not by a long shot. Maybe one or two episodes too long and a couple of superfluous characters/threads, but I still think this was one of the best of the Marvel Netflix offerings.

A thorough and difficult look at armed services PTSD. Well conceived, written, produced, and acted. Castle, Micro Curry, Billy, and Madani were all stand-out characters.

How did you like Billy’s punishment? Brutal enough for ya?
    I had to look away for the briefest of moments...
  • Episode 12

They need two whole hours to take out two characters? Because I know Billy needs to get his on the final hour. Geez.

• Matt said:

More brutal than what happened in the episode before?
    edited December 2017

Matt said:

I didn’t wince when Agent Orange got his beating like I did when Billy’s face was dragged across a broken mirror. Probably because I knew Rawlings had a brutal death, but Billy lives with a mangled face.
  • Matt said:

Matt said:

I didn’t wince when Agent Orange got his beating like I did when Billy’s face was dragged across a broken mirror. Probably because I knew Rawlings had a brutal death, but Billy lives with a mangled face.
    I totally forgot who Billy becomes so it was appropriate.