Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Longmire final season is now on Netflix

Also, The Punisher series dropped to day also.

Anyone watching either of these yet?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Was at a trade show yesterday with a long drive back. Will be starting one tonight.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I finally got through Marvel's Iron Fist the week before last; the longest it took me to get through any of the Netflix Marvel series. I don't despise it as much as most but it certainly was my least favorite. It was just, compare to the other series, lacking. I enjoyed Finn Jones in Game of Thrones but I truly think he's miscast as Danny Rand. There were some good moments but they were far and few between. If it wasn't for Madame Gao and the glory that is Rosario 'Claire Temple' Dawson, I would've quit midway. I actually removed the show from my queue because I'm just not interested in the second season at all.

Checked out the first episode of Marvel's The Defenders and well let's just say this: LOVE IT!!! I have 3 more episodes to go. Taking my time because I don't want it to end. I say to Netflix skip the second season of Iron Fist and go straight to the second season of The Defenders. Another option: give 13 episodes to The Defenders and 8 episodes to Iron Fist. Seriously, I can't get enough of The Defenders.
  • Options
    Just finished "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisal" on Amazon. 5 stars. Tremendous series.

If you're unfamiliar with it, Rachel Brosnahan plays Midge Maisal, a young Jewish housewife in late 1950's Manhattan, who is the driving force behind her husband's dream of becoming a stand-up comic. When he suddenly leaves her for another woman, she then decides to pursue a career in stand-up herself.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited December 2017
    There's a fairly new docu-series called, The Toys That Made Us on Netflix right now. I believe it's actually produced by Netflix. Anyway, it looks at the history of version toy lines and what makes them popular and collectible. So far there are only for episodes, but all are probably worth at least one viewing.

Ep. 1 - Star Wars
    Ep. 2 - Barbie
    Ep. 3 - He-Man
    Ep. 4 - G.I. Joe

I'm smack dab in the middle of episode 1. No excitingly new information, but still fun. I'd be interested to hear what @ShaneKelly, @Pants, and @Adam_Murdough think about it in a future Comic Talk episode (albeit there is no VHS copy that I am aware of for Adam, more's the pity).
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    fredzilla said:

There's a fairly new docu-series called, The Toys That Made Us on Netflix right now. I believe it's actually produced by Netflix. Anyway, it looks at the history of version toy lines and what makes them popular and collectible. So far there are only for episodes, but all are probably worth at least one viewing.

Ep. 1 - Star Wars
    Ep. 2 - Barbie
    Ep. 3 - He-Man
    Ep. 4 - G.I. Joe

I'm snack dad in the middle of episode 1. No excitingly new information, but still fun. I'd be interested to hear what @ShaneKelly, @Pants, and @Adam_Murdough think about it in a future Comic Talk episode (albeit there is no VHS copy that I am aware of for Adam, more's the pity).

Queued. Thanks @fredzilla
  • Options
    I quite enjoyed Bright. I'm not sure that the world needed a gritty urban fantasy cop drama, but we got one and it was quite enjoyable.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm finally dipping into Battlestar Galactica on Hulu
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    DAR said:

I'm finally dipping into Battlestar Galactica on Hulu

You've got a great ride ahead.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451

Just finished "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisal" on Amazon. 5 stars. Tremendous series.

If you're unfamiliar with it, Rachel Brosnahan plays Midge Maisal, a young Jewish housewife in late 1950's Manhattan, who is the driving force behind her husband's dream of becoming a stand-up comic. When he suddenly leaves her for another woman, she then decides to pursue a career in stand-up herself.

Word.
  • Options
    Just started season 4 of "Peaky Blinders." If this one's not in your Netflix queue, you need to do something about that.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Finished Royal Pains, starting American horror Story. Also watched The Toys that Made Us, really enjoyable and can't wait for more episodes.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    Toys That Made Us was great!

I'm watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee which I'm really enjoying.

Also watched the Tick on Amazon Prime, which I wasn't so sure about at first but quickly fell in love with.
  • Options
    2 episodes in thus far on season 4 of "Black Mirror." Very cool British sci-fi show. Kind of like a modern day Twilight Zone revolving around the pitfalls of technology.

One word of advice though if you're going to watch the series ... skip the very 1st episode! It's an anthology series, so each episode is self-contained. You do not need to watch them in order, etc. But do yourself a favor and skip episode 1. Trust me on this. My nephew recommended the series to me and after the 1st episode, I texted him and was, like "Dude? WTF???" He convinced me to stick with it though, and it's paid off.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

2 episodes in thus far on season 4 of "Black Mirror." Very cool British sci-fi show. Kind of like a modern day Twilight Zone revolving around the pitfalls of technology.

One word of advice though if you're going to watch the series ... skip the very 1st episode! It's an anthology series, so each episode is self-contained. You do not need to watch them in order, etc. But do yourself a favor and skip episode 1. Trust me on this. My nephew recommended the series to me and after the 1st episode, I texted him and was, like "Dude? WTF???" He convinced me to stick with it though, and it's paid off.

The pig episode?
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2018
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The pig episode?

Yes!

• Options

GODZILLA: Monster Planet (or Planet of the Monsters) is live on Netflix NOW! It's on my queue already and I'll begin watching during my lunch break today. Haha
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

GODZILLA: Monster Planet (or Planet of the Monsters) is live on Netflix NOW! It's on my queue already and I'll begin watching during my lunch break today. Haha

Really looking forward to this. But had no internet for a week now!! Engineer out tomorrow. Hope they fix it.

Until then I’ll continue to live in the early 90s
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Just watched the first episode. Interesting concept, nice animation, good voice acting. The only thing I don't care that much for is this recent trend, as also seen in Shin Godzilla, of ramping up Big G’s power level. But I'll watch the next one to see where the story goes. Overall I give it a solid B.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited January 2018

Just watched the first episode. Interesting concept, nice animation, good voice acting. The only thing I don't care that much for is this recent trend, as also seen in Shin Godzilla, of ramping up Big G’s power level. But I'll watch the next one to see where the story goes. Overall I give it a solid B.
    Agreed. Finally watched this in it's entirety (no english language dubs, so you have to pay attention to the subtitles).

When I was a kid, my father made it a point to rent every Godzilla movie and watch it with me, one by one. He also had a collection of records, one of which was a Blue Oyster Cult record. We wore out the needle playing 'Go, Go, Godzilla'. Little Chad (me) bopping around to the music, excited about anything Godzilla related.

So I have a special relationship with the King of Monsters. I loved this. It's hard for me to decide where I fall with Godzilla stories. Do I prefer when he's a force of nature, aimed at beating back the ego of mankind? Or do I prefer when he's a benevolent force, rising from the ocean to save us from the threats we cannot hope to deal with? I can't figure it out honestly, and I go back and forth.

He's WAY too powerful in this one, but I like why (the future). I'm really excited to see more.

Talking about my passion for the King, I wonder if I should record a one off (or maybe series) of episodes of me and my father talking about Godzilla films? I doubt the LanternCast listeners would care much, but for my own posterity, I think it'd be cool to have on "tape". But ignore me, just thinking out loud.

Back to "Big G" as you put it.

The design (especially at the end of this episode, which I won't spoil) was interesting. Not sure how I like the computer generated aspects of this animation. It reminds me of the early attempts at combining the two with movies like 'Titan A.E.' & 'Treasure Planet'.

But it's enjoyable regardless.

Highly recommended. And stay after the credits.
  • Options
    Again, not Netflix (Should we just add a new thread for TV Talk?)

Anyone watch the premier episode of Counterpart on Stars?

I was interested as soon as I saw JK Simmons with a lead role. First episode has sold me on it.
  • Options
    Saw a commercial for that last night for the 1st time. Definitely caught my interest.
  • Options
    Finished Season 4 of Peaky Blinders. Always an enjoyable but quick watch
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Again, not Netflix (Should we just add a new thread for TV Talk?)

Thanks. That’s a good point- I renamed the thread as it has been (and should be) for other TV and streaming talk as well.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2018
    DAR said:

Finished Season 4 of Peaky Blinders. Always an enjoyable but quick watch

Tremendous show. Love, love, love Tom Hardy's performance in it.
  • Options
    Watched the last day
    The Toys that Made Us. Really fun
    A Stupid and Futile Gesture about National Lampoon founder Doug Kenney. It was decent
    The Crown Season 2. Liked season 1 better
  • Options
    Very late to this one, but I recently finished the first season of HBO's Rome, which I thought was fantastic. I have heard the second season of it was not as good, but we'll see. I feel like that series is not only great for Shakespeare nerds, but those who really enjoy the King's Landing storylines from Game of Thrones, the political posturing and palace intrigue, would enjoy this.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Watched the last day
    The Toys that Made Us. Really fun
    A Stupid and Futile Gesture about National Lampoon founder Doug Kenney. It was decent
    The Crown Season 2. Liked season 1 better

Only watched the first two episodes of Toys. Good stuff. Masters of the the Universe was a little late for me so I haven't jumped back in yet.

I'm quite liking A Stupid and Futile Gesture so far.

Agree on The Crown. I do continue to be astounded with Matt Smith. Feel like he's nailing it.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Very late to this one, but I recently finished the first season of HBO's Rome, which I thought was fantastic. I have heard the second season of it was not as good, but we'll see. I feel like that series is not only great for Shakespeare nerds, but those who really enjoy the King's Landing storylines from Game of Thrones, the political posturing and palace intrigue, would enjoy this.

I don't recall being less satisfied with season 2 but it's been a while since I watched either.